Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrera GT crash in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley_GT
    standup guy? Jerry Seinfeld?
    that's what i was thinking, seinfeld DOES have an enormous porsche collection, which makes me wonder why he would want to take his friend's GT out for a drive... i'd bet that seinfeld already has one in every color

Who the hell decided to put that stupid telephone pole in that perfect overtaking spot anyway...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

It's not rcoket science but Many people have said that the CGT is not a car for a quicki with a newbie, and I guess this proves the point..
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

Quote Originally Posted by TVRs4eva
    that's what i was thinking, seinfeld DOES have an enormous porsche collection, which makes me wonder why he would want to take his friend's GT out for a drive... i'd bet that seinfeld already has one in every color
    Might have been Kramer.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Might have been Kramer.
    I heard he was busy shouting obscenities at another racial minority group that day.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

You only get as much out of a drving course as you put in. That being said. The gentleman driving just didn't know his limits, therefore should not have been pushing the cars boundaries so much. Common sense isn't common.

Good to hear that no onw was injured. It's also nice to hear that he bought the guy a replacement. It's still a shame to see such a gorgeous car destroyed.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by speednine
    You only get as much out of a drving course as you put in. That being said. The gentleman driving just didn't know his limits, therefore should not have been pushing the cars boundaries so much. Common sense isn't common.
    Id like to give the dude the benefit of the doubt, with such a quick car, limits are crossed in an instant, with little time to correct them.

The pole does look quite deep-set in the car, but i was thinking maybe the fact that the front is a hollow boot contributed a bit, less physical stuff to absorb the impact?
    Porsche!

Wow, I hope if one of my friends ever crashes my car he/she would be able to buy me another one but thats very unlikely.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    The pole does look quite deep-set in the car
    Force = mass x area.

Area of pole = v. small, therefore:

Force = huge

And then factor in the huge acceleration involved in a 1500kg Supercar going from XXmph to 0mph in nths of a second.

It doesn't matter how much carbon fibre you have in your car - driving it into a small, immovable pole will do a hell of a lot of damage.

I don't think people should be making comments about the driver's supposed "lack of ability", since the cause of the crash has not been publicised.

The accident could be due to any number of reasons, and to automatically assume driver error every time a supercar crashes is rather nonsensical and immature - not to mention completely tasteless and despicable if there are serious injuries involved (see Enzo crash thread).
    Thanks for all the fish

yet another carrera gt gone...........................................Why is it everyone thinks their like Michael Schumacher or Mario Andretti when they take the wheel of exotic cars?? maybe thats why he crashed it. But for the billion wrong things the driver did he at least did one right thing
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Why the **** do I even bother?

Someone, please, tell me.
    Thanks for all the fish

The best solution is simply not to let people borrow or use your things. I grew up making only bad experiences when it came to that sort of thing. In this case the owner was lucky to have a nice (rich) enough friend to replace the item. In general however, that is hardly the case. Maybe I just know too many a**holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Force = mass x area.
    Force is mass times acceleration. Pressure = Force / Area.

In summary, your equations confuse me.

I am trying to explain physically why the poll is so far jammed in but I cannot seem to do it...

Got it. When the car hits the poll, it decelerates rapidly. This causes a force on the car and on the poll. The car has a large mass and decelerated very rapidly - a large force results. Because the area of the poll is small and the force is large, the pressure is very great and I believe this is what causes the poll to be rammed very far into the car (crumple length, let's say). Were the car to hit a wall, the more larger area would result in a lower pressure and less crumple length.

This may not be the exactly correct explanation, as the best one may require conservation of momentum, and impulse, but I think it explains what happened basically pretty well using physical laws and formulae.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Because people who have driven on track never crash...
    what has that got to do with anything?

a person with track experience is more likely to be able to handle the car on the road

Thread Information