View Poll Results: Engine you'd rather in your car.

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5's V10

69 60.00%
  • LS7 V8 from Corvette Z06

46 40.00%
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 vs. BMW M5...engine comparo

Quote Originally Posted by h22a
    Unless youve got something valid to say pipe down.

2nd class your on the money.
    I do have something valid to say. You are ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    I do have something valid to say. You are ignorant.
    what happened to no personal calls?
    Chief your a yank(Ignorance is you middle name)
    keep pulling your lizard dick over the LS7, i'll be very content with the V10.

hmm reliable
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_RcK...elated&search=
    Last edited by h22a; 12-05-2006 at 11:02 PM.
    RUF CTR Yellowbird is what dreams are made of

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry
    So much for your 100hp per litre or your super exotic bugati engine.........

For the ultimate engine why settle for the LS7 when you can get the LSx........

GM's 9L Small Block that handles 2500 HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try making a 9L OHV engine!!!!!!
    Stop making the rest of Aussies look bad. It's a BMW engine, and the LSX is OHV. Pushrod engines = OHV engines.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I doubt there's nothing even slitghly remotely F1-ish about the M5's engine.
    Chief why do you bother even posting
    http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m5_e60.htm

Chief why do you bother even posting
    http://www.bmwworld.com/models/m5_e60.htm
    Did you even read that article? It states that BMW have learned from some of the processes used in its motorsports divisions to help develop the M5's engine (ie bogstandard press-release waffle). At no point does it suggest that it is a detuned version of the F1 V10 engine, or that it shares any components whatsoever with it. It bears no relation to the old F1 engine aside from the engine's configuration.

And if you carry on insulting other forum members I can assure you it will be you who won't be bothering posting anymore. Either debate civilly on the forums or not at all.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

That article was full of the typical press release garbage... "Race inspired" does not equal "We took it straight off our F1 motor and put it in your street car."
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

hey cheif i never instigated any insult.

Did you read the article?
    The engine shares more than just its number of cylinders with the Formula 1 engine that powers the BMW WilliamsF1 team. Technology forged in the heat of motorsport has enhanced the processes and components used in this new powerhouse engine.
    It might not use the same components but the technology has been carried over

Well the LS7 has actual parts from the C5R motor. Advantage? LS7.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Inspired by Formula One!

Translating Formula 1 technology directly into a road car maybe BMW M's most impressive feat to date.

BMW M engineers were given the task of focusing "first and foremost on engine power". They were able to tap into such aspects of F1 engine technology as how the oil supply has to be regulated at high cornering forces.

Click for a larger image

The BMW Concept M5 translates Formula 1 technology into a road car and is powered by a V10 engine — a first for BMW. The Concept M5 delivers around 373kW of power and 500Nm of torque (490bhp and 370lb/ft of torque), and is capable of completing the zero to 100km/h sprint in well under five seconds, according to the manufacturer.

Featuring many of the styling and technological advancements offered by new 5-Series models, the new M5's engine is said to be derived from BMW's race-winning Formula 1 efforts - it is commonly accepted that BMW delivers the most powerful F1 engine on the grid. While not capable of the F1 engine's stratospheric 19,000 rpm, the road car's Valvetronic engine will be able to achieve a stunning 9,000 rpm.

Another feature of the new M5 borrowing F1 technology is the new seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox change. The Concept M5 also uses a modified version of BMW’s Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), a purpose-designed braking system, and a new development of the company’s Servotronic steering.

Formula 1 technology is also carried over to the gearbox. The Concept M5 is equipped with a seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox with racing-type paddle shifters on its steering wheel — another first for BMW.
    Quoted from the article.

VTEC was first used by Honda in racing and F1, then it trickled into their production models. For a long time VTEC kicked ass as other manufacturers struggled to master their own versions.

No one would give you an engine that was designed to last 2 race weekends. It's just some of what they've learned.

Even Lexus is going to cash in on the F1-V10 engines Toyota raced. Their new Supercar is said to be V10 powered which is F1-derived...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

The engine shares more than just its number of cylinders with the Formula 1 engine that powers the BMW WilliamsF1 team. Technology forged in the heat of motorsport has enhanced the processes and components used in this new powerhouse engine.
    It might not use the same components but the technology has been carried over
    Like I said, it's just typical manufacturer sales spiel. They claim that the engine has links with the F1 engines, yet provide no evidence of this whatsoever. It's exactly the same with the gearbox. They made a big song and dance about how the "revolutionary 7-speed transmission" was derived from their F1 exploits, but again the reality is the only thing it has in common is the number of ratios and flappy paddles. It's just marketing guff, don't get sucked in by it.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Even Lexus is going to cash in on the F1-V10 engines Toyota raced. Their new Supercar is said to be V10 powered which is F1-derived...
    Not anymore, they're said to be going down the V8+hybrid route.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    That's a big conclusion to leap to, especially as it's only a new engine, and most manufacturers give themselves room to upgrade in future models/upgrades.
    I know it seems like quite a sweeping statement, but how much more can we reliably squeeze out of an engine? And don't forget it's at the expense of torque... the Z06 has almost equal amounts of torque and bhp, whereas the M5's engine has a serious deficit in the torque department, making it much harder work on the road- a lot of gearchange action. Then again, a more involved driver might like that...

I can't really choose between these 2 engines. I mean, I love V8s, but I really like the thinking behind the V10. To me, it seems as though at BMW they sat down and went "We are going to buld the best damn engine we can" and then used all their engineering knoweledge and skill to do that. Whereas to me the LS7 says that GM needed a more powerful engine for the Z06 and someone just went "Just make it bigger, that'll do" The C5 Z06 didn't need a bigger engine, GM worked at the LS1, made it better and came out with the LS6.
    Probably one of the more valid statements in this thread, apart from the last part. If Chevy really hadn't bothered to tickle the LS7, then they'd have got the same power rating as a Jeep Wrangler. But they didn't- they got over 500bhp, which isn't bad, taking into consideration that a lot of Yankee beasts don't make over 50bhp/l (yes, I know the bhp/l argument is pointless, but it's true...)

Stop making the rest of Aussies look bad. It's a BMW engine, and the LSX is OHV. Pushrod engines = OHV engines.
    Ops my bad OHV and OHC...................

Quote Originally Posted by -What-
    There sure are a lot of bitches on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by What
    I'm not trying to create any havoc.
    The only thing you're doing is claiming that you're putting the fire out with water when you're really tipping gasoline on it. Don't call people bitches and say they f*cking suck and arguments won't start.
    Lead Driver For The UCP.com Draggin' & Driftin' Racing Team.

If only there was one.

if features and technology is what you like to brag about down the pub then the M5 V10 is your bag but i have to respect the significant gain in efficiency of these pushrod V8s over the last decade.

Quote Originally Posted by autozine.org
    Throughout the years Corvette persisted in using push-rod V8s, even though technology fans like me doubted the future of such engines. Overhead-valve V8s may never match the efficiency of dohc V8s, but they are relatively simple, cheap and lightweight. In the C5, GM successfully made its LS1 V8 so compact and lightweight, while raised its revvabiilty and efficiency significantly.

Back in 1984, the C4's 5.7-litre V8 pumped out only 230 horsepower. 13 years later, the same displacement produced 345 horsepower in the C5. Z06 even raised the horsepower count to 405, all achieved without any increase of displacement. For the same period, Porsche 911 Carrera had its power raised from 231hp to 300hp only, even though it switched from air cool to water cool, 2 valves to 4 valves per cylinder along with an additional 200cc. One can see how far GM's push-rod V8s had progressed.
    autozine.org

Thread Information