View Poll Results: Engine you'd rather in your car.

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • M5's V10

69 60.00%
  • LS7 V8 from Corvette Z06

46 40.00%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Corvette Z06 vs. BMW M5...engine comparo

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Where's the 1.8T option?
    haHAz zOMG, I waZ l00king 4 that 2!
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I voted corvette but keep in mind the corvette is built for speed and power and the m5 is a 4-door family car with some kick.
    just waiting for my right-hand drive BMW M3 GTR. yes in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by -What-
    You can't see the engine work, so the sophistication will only be noticed on your repair bill. It's the thought or the "image" of a special engine that makes you desire the M5's engine over the LS7. Being two sportscar engines, I see no reason why I would want the poorer performing, heavier, more expensive, harder to modify M5 V10 over the LS7....other than prestige. I prefer proven output and reliability over less efficient but higher tech.
    Sophistication isn't just image. It's how the engine idles, responds to throttle inputs, whether is barks or humms in a civilized rumble with throttle lift-off. Also, what is throttle tip-in like?

The LS7 makes much more sense if overall engine performance is desired.
    The LS7 is definitely the burlier engine.

Less moving parts, the "old" proven tech in the LS7, and a "race build" background help me believe the LS7 will be more reliable.
    OHC technology is hardly "new". If anything, I'd think the M5 would win in the longevity department. Reliability wise, it's hard to say, I guess if the LS7 doesn't have a particular sub-system it can't break, so in that way it may be more reliable. Overall though I think the M5 engine will be the more trusty.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Nope, not Irony.

Irony is the opposite of what you expect, If we were comparing a Yugo to a Toyota, then mabye it would be ironic.
    Modern day German cars are anything but reliable. I dont think I have read a review for a German car where something doesnt fail.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Sophistication isn't just image. It's how the engine idles, responds to throttle inputs, whether is barks or humms in a civilized rumble with throttle lift-off. Also, what is throttle tip-in like?
    I can digg that.

OHC technology is hardly "new"...Reliability wise, it's hard to say, I guess if the LS7 doesn't have a particular sub-system it can't break, so in that way it may be more reliable. Overall though I think the M5 engine will be the more trusty.
    Oh come on, did you really believe we were referring to the OHC technology of the M5's engine when we mentioned the "new"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    BMW engineers can easily close their eyes, tie their hands and produce something 50% lighter, 150%more efficient, 50% more grunt than the LS7, they did not, because their engine had to be put into a WORLD car, not an AMERICAN car.
    That's the most fallacious claim I've ever heard. I'd like to see how you're going to back that up.

People tend to judge technology these days by factors like "the number of features". They say stuff like like "why would GM choose to live in the past LOL". The fact of the matter is, the engine is lighter, more cost effective in every sense, better in essentially all performance aspects, and lets the car achieve better fuel economy. That's what building something well means. People need to realise that "OMG ITS GERMAN" isn't a very good argument.

If you're putting two engines head-to-head, compare what they do. It's impossible to argue if people just talk about "passion" or "quality" because those things are completely conceptual. When you look at aspects that you can actually statistically compare in terms of physics, the LS7 walks all over the M5's engine. Arguments that relate to "feel" exist on both sides of the debate; that's personal choice. They can't really be used in a debate like this.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 11-30-2006 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    I liked the LS7 engine, unsophisticated, raw, Johnny Bravo (That's what i call most American cars - Strong and brainless); one word - SEXY.

But i voted for the M5, why? BMW engineers can easily close their eyes, tie their hands and produce something 50% lighter, 150%more efficient, 50% more grunt than the LS7, they did not, because their engine had to be put into a WORLD car, not an AMERICAN car. Hence all the complications involved, all the gadgets, all the prospective failures, and all the fanboys. Imagine producing a V10 500hp engine that at the same time had to evade fingerpointings from GreenPeace....
    Sorry but can you make better sense of this post for me? So you claim BMW can make some lighter, more efficient, more torque etc. etc. (not saying they cant) yet they dont? And why not?
    The beauty of the LS7 which many seem to look over, is the fact that for $12,000 (certainly not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than the 500hp powerplants offered by BMW, MB or Ferrari) you get a proven engine that makes more power and torque than it weighs (in pounds), and is physically smaller than most OHC V6s. You want more power? This thing is very restrictive, by simply removing the air filter you gain 20hp dyno proven, yes 20. Headers gets you a good 40hp, and a tune will free up 30 give or take. Tuners have made over 700hp with headers, cam and a tune (that probably under $2500) and the car is still daily drivable and the torque curve is still flat(the owner daily drives it).

The fact is that top brass at GM decided this. The question becomes, how fast to move forward? Should you just stick with tried and true technology and ignore the whole automotive scene. When Bentley tried this, they ended up having their 6.8 Liter OHV V8 from the "pliestoscene" era by BMW motivators from the new owner, BMW.
    GM tried the whole OHC in the Corvette thing, remember? Knocked the price up over $30,000, and the car gained 200lbs. Whats the point of going OHC when you can make a lighter, smaller engine for cheaper, making the same power throught the rev range?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    GM tried the whole OHC in the Corvette thing, remember? Knocked the price up over $30,000, and the car gained 200lbs. Whats the point of going OHC when you can make a lighter, smaller engine for cheaper, making the same power throught the rev range?
    They totally don't get it, Slicks. It's really bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    The beauty of the LS7 which many seem to look over, is the fact that for $12,000 (certainly not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than the 500hp powerplants offered by BMW, MB or Ferrari) you get a proven engine that makes more power and torque than it weighs (in pounds), and is physically smaller than most OHC V6s. You want more power? This thing is very restrictive, by simply removing the air filter you gain 20hp dyno proven, yes 20. Headers gets you a good 40hp, and a tune will free up 30 give or take. Tuners have made over 700hp with headers, cam and a tune (that probably under $2500) and the car is still daily drivable and the torque curve is still flat(the owner daily drives it).
    Was it difficult to constrain your rage as you made this reply?
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    What's not to get?????????????????????????????????????
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

m5 for me .more hp/L and it's a v10 .8500rpm for a 5L engine is alot.

Quote Originally Posted by mehrshadvr4
    m5 for me .more hp/L and it's a v10 .8500rpm for a 5L engine is alot.
    Here goes the hp/l can of worms...

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    OHC engnies are bettar duh11!!!! Image is da only ting dat matters, as long as dat engine wevs to 8000rpms and can make over 100hp/l zomg no wai it is high tach11!!@!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blingbling
    Was it difficult to constrain your rage as you made this reply?
    I broke 8 keys on the keyboard typing that! No, actually I wanst angy at all.

Thread Information