Thread: Are Holden working on a Commodore with Camry fuel consumption?

Are Holden working on a Commodore with Camry fuel consumption?

I read a Wheels Magazine and apparently Holden are working on a Commoodore with Camry like fuel consumption. Considering a Camry's fuel consumption is less than 10 litres per 100km, this looks a bit adventurous. It's probably leaked, but I'm absolutely sure of this (Wheels presents VE Commodore Souvenir Edition September 2006) and I don't know wheather this is a VE update (first update next year) or a brand new model.
    Tell me if you know about this.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Its not really a secret. Constant fuel consumption upgrades are always in development, just these days theyre (along with safety upgrades) probably ahead of power upgrades.

Alot of stuff is expected for VF, such as possible diesel and direct injection engines, a new front end and perhaps goodbye to the GM 4 speed tranny.
    I am the Stig

The current VE will achieve less than 10L/100km if driven moderately anyway. We got 10.9L/100km driving it fairly hard in Adelaide a few weeks ago, and I'm confident that could be bettered.
    What would impress more is if a direct-injection VE was released (with the engine in the base model of course) and it matched the Aurion V6's consumption (which I worked out at less than 8L/100km).
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    We got 10.9L/100km driving it fairly hard in Adelaide a few weeks ago, and I'm confident that could be bettered.
    That makes me impressed. But if you see "VF" with the save fuel tips I saw in the Herald Sun Cars Guide, that are going 90km/h in a 100km/h zone and going straight onto 6th gear while driving, that fuel consumption would be much, much better. Say 'bout 7 litres or so (seeing the new Commodore has fuel consumption equal to a Camry, which is 9.0 litres per 100km.
    Signature removed, no spam allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by #3 Tasman Bloke
    That makes me impressed. But if you see "VF" with the save fuel tips I saw in the Herald Sun Cars Guide, that are going 90km/h in a 100km/h zone and going straight onto 6th gear while driving, that fuel consumption would be much, much better. Say 'bout 7 litres or so (seeing the new Commodore has fuel consumption equal to a Camry, which is 9.0 litres per 100km.
    Everytime I see that written somewhere as a fuel saving technique I have to go lie down to stop my going and finding whoever wrote and throttling them!
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

We'll see what the VF actually offers. Its months away.Also, the Commodore's stable-mate, a 4-clyinder 1.8 litre Holden Astra has official economy figures of 7.8L/100km. So, I'd say its very unlikely that a petrol engined Commodore will achieve official figures of 7L/100km. There's no way it will match an Astra. Even allowing for how conservative the official figures are.
    Also, while many drivers will see figures of 9L/100km out of a Commodore, I reckon owners of the Camry will do much, much better than that - probably about the same as the Aurion - around 7.7L/100km should be easily achievable in a Camry. So, you can't say a current Commdore matches the Camry for economy - it doesn't.
    Last edited by motorsportnerd; 12-03-2006 at 12:49 AM.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

How does the Astra diesel go on fuel?

And could Wheels have been talking about the diesel Commodore?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    How does the Astra diesel go on fuel?
    Rated at 6.0 L/100, but "real world between 6.2 & 6.4" according to our beloved 'Drive'

Wheels Sept 2006, page 16 - "The adoption of direct fuel-injection techonology for Holden's Australian-assembled 3.6-litre V6 is expected to deliver a consumption cut of 7-10 percent, according to chairman and managing director Denny Mooney. This means the base-level Commodore of 2008 could wear an official consumption figure very similar to the 9.9L/100km of the new four-cylinder automatic Toyota Camry".
    So, it is direct-injection Wheels is talking about.
    That would be pretty good fuel consumption.
    I note the following:
    but if you see "VF" with the save fuel tips I saw in the Herald Sun Cars Guide, that are going 90km/h in a 100km/h zone and going straight onto 6th gear while driving

How likely is it that the base model Commodore will have a six-speed auto gearbox?
    Anyway, I concede that figures of under 8L/100km should be possible with direct injection engine.

Quote Originally Posted by motorsportnerd
    How likely is it that the base model Commodore will have a six-speed auto gearbox?
    I think it would depned on the takeup of the Euro Sports Pack on the BF, which I imagine Holden will be closely watching
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Rated at 6.0 L/100, but "real world between 6.2 & 6.4" according to our beloved 'Drive'
    2ndclasscitizen originally posted--How does the Astra diesel go on fuel?
    Slightly off topic.sorry

had a DID Hiace for a week last week and that gave me 8.8l/100 with all city driving, my old petrol hiace gives me between 14-20l/100 depending on speed wind etc. The vans are lumbered with heaps of test equipment, spares etc and a dual ladder rack with 2 ladders plus being shaped like a show box doesn't bode well for slippery aero efficiency.

The diesel was very good on fuel but the diesel left me a little dissapointed performance wise, it didnt have a tacho but it felt lifeless until about 2 grand, then had a big hit of torque in the mid range and then felt very flat until it hit the rev limiter/governor. If I was paying for fuel Id go the diesel for the economy but seeing I dont have to give me petrol. The in gear acceleration in 4th gear was very strong from 60km/h but by the time 80km/h it had run out of puff literally and a upchange was needed to keep it in the powerband. Where the petrol has a usable powerband between 2000-5500 rpm the DID diesel felt like it had a useable powerband between 2000-4000rpm approx no tacho fitted. The diesel actually felt like an old 2 stroke enduro bike I used to race, nothing down low, a big hit of torque in the midrange and falling very flat up high
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Under 10l/100km is very achivable for holden as my driving with the VE calais was all under 10l/100.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    I think it would depned on the takeup of the Euro Sports Pack on the BF, which I imagine Holden will be closely watching
    What Ford are leaving in the fineprint however is that offer is $250 more than the auto equipped models. Whilst that doesnt affect Futura and Fairmont, it means youre really paying $1250 for the package on the XT.

Also, the offer is only extended to October-December built cars. In the new year, its likely to go up to around ~$2K. DSC, 17" wheels, sports suspension and 6 speed auto are hard to refuse for $250 more than the standard auto, but for $2K more it becomes alot easier to refuse. Holden better be mindful of that.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information