Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now That It's All Said And Done...

Now That It's All Said And Done...

The grand, next gen console battle. I have heard many things of all three, 360, Wii, and PS3. Having played all three, I give my brief judgement, now that I don't have to rely on speculation for an argument.

xBox 360: This is the standard, if you ask me, for platform development. While it certainly didn't push any boundaries or revolutionize gaming, Microsoft put out a reliable, fun package boasting good reliability, good performance, and an all around decent package, combined with a plethora of high quality release games. 360 set the bar.

Wii: I had been especially skeptical of Wii since the start. A low end console with TV remote controllers and poor technical specifications? It didn't sound good. But Nintendo really turned it around. Wii is affordable, and provides essentially all the non-game suits of the other consoles. But even more, its opened up new aspects of console gaming, as the gyroscopic controllers I were so skeptical of proved to be incredibly well integrated and fun to play. Well done, Nintendo, you proved me wrong and gave us all a great console.

PS3:The most highly anticipated of the three, I think it falls short because of that. Aside from Sony shitting on its consumers in terms of relations, the PS3 is overrated, pricy, and all aside, not really as great as you'd expect for the money. While it boasts far greater specifications, those components drive the price up by the hundred and only delivers gameplay that has yet to downplay Nintendo or Microsoft. Though, I suppose if you're a technical geek and like to fondle and fetish high performance computer components, this is the platform for you.

I'd like to hear what y'all think aswell, putting aside obvious affiliation and fanboyism, and using personal experience instead of speculation like has been done precluding the release of PS3 and Wii.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Agree with everything you said. I'd just change the 'not revolutionary' statement about the se-X-BOX 360 around because, it is quite capable in the tech department, and the new dashboard and live setup is, well, revolutionary.
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 12-05-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Microsoft put out a reliable, fun package boasting good reliability, good performance, and an all around decent package, combined with a plethora of high quality release games.
    the PS3 is overrated, pricy, and all aside, not really as great as you'd expect for the money.
    putting aside obvious affiliation and fanboyism
    Hummm....

BTW, 360 reliable?

I'm getting my wii tonight at the midnight Aus launch looking forward to it. I will probably post pictures later if I can bare to pull myself away from it.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Hummm....

BTW, 360 reliable?
    My point is moreso PS3 has so far only accomplished everything xBox did, but with a lot more money tacked onto the cost.
    Last edited by Esperante; 12-05-2006 at 07:17 PM.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Hummm....

BTW, 360 reliable?
    I've had mine for almost a year now without a problem..

My friend has had his for a bit longer and his has no problems either.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

kind of off topic, but i just downloaded the new halo 3 trailer that came out yesterday

its on live in 720p for free...and it will definetely get you excited for the game, i know i am now
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

So the only one that has any problems is the PS3? Mabye you should show less bias...

Not that I care really, I think the Wii is the best deal...
    But I'm getting out of video games, after I buy the newest socom and play it for hours first though... Then the PS2 is off to ebay land...

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    kind of off topic, but i just downloaded the new halo 3 trailer that came out yesterday

its on live in 720p for free...and it will definetely get you excited for the game, i know i am now
    Can you get it anywhere else for those of us without a 360?

EDIT: Found it on Gamespy, it's just like the other one, it doesn't show squat!
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 12-06-2006 at 12:19 AM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    No PS3 isn't as expensive as X360, and here's the comparison between the two when both have 20Gb HDD.

1. As we all know, the X360 with 20Gb HDD is $399 and PS3 with 20Gb HDD is $499 so there's only a $100 difference.

2. PS3 comes with Blu-Ray drive for best quality home theater experience, while X360's HD-DVD add-on will easily make itself cost more than the PS3 20Gb package.

3. PS3 has Serial ATA HDD which means it's interchangeable, and the maximum size for that type of HDD is about 160Gb.

4. PS3 has Bluetooth in which the console can connect even to your phone.

Now, let's compare the $399 X360 package to the $599 PS3 60Gb Premium.

1. PS3 includes all mentioned in 20Gb that X360 doesn't have.

2. X360's HD-DVD add-on will add $199 to the package, which totals $598.

3. PS3 has HDMI output.

4. PS3 has wireless IEEE 802.11 b/g connection which means it can connect to your modem/router wirelessly, while the X360 wireless adapter will cost you another $99.

To sum it all up, you'll need to buy a $697 X360 to match a $599 PS3, so please quit saying the PS3's overpriced because there is no need for extra components, and even if you were to buy a controller for it, it'd cost the same as the X360's, both at $49.99 wireless. Also, at least the games don't stutter in PS3 like Test Drive on X360. And yes, I've played both at my home, and when me and my bro got the PS3, we quickly returned the X360 for full refund.

And if anybody wants to use Gears of War as defense, that game only uses the toned-down Unreal 2007 engine, and the game itself, Unreal Tournament 2007, will only be available to PS3 and PC. You can even tell the differences just by comparing the screenshots on some game review site, it just boasts more complex texture and 3D models. Remember, X360 runs on a modified version of DirectX and Shader Model 4.0 on the ATi R520-based chip, which performance-wise it's inferior to the PS3's G70-based nVidia chip since the PS3 runs on OpenGL which nVidia chips always beat ATi on, therefore it has higher graphical potential.

The only thing PS3 lacks is launch titles, we're flying through those 3 games we bought and the good games aren't until early next year.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    No PS3 isn't as expensive as X360, and here's the comparison between the two when both have 20Gb HDD.

1. As we all know, the X360 with 20Gb HDD is $399 and PS3 with 20Gb HDD is $499 so there's only a $100 difference.
    Well, I bet a 20 gig HDD is comparable to a 60 gig HDD from Sony. I'm thinking saved files on the PS3 may take up more space than your average seX-BOX 360 file.. that's just my guess though, don't quote me on it.

2. PS3 comes with Blu-Ray drive for best quality home theater experience, while X360's HD-DVD add-on will easily make itself cost more than the PS3 20Gb package.
    True, but I don't see myself buying an external HD-DVD drive. I'd rather just watch movies on a real DVD player.

3. PS3 has Serial ATA HDD which means it's interchangeable, and the maximum size for that type of HDD is about 160Gb.
    Could be useful, but as of right now, I'm not sure.

4. PS3 has Bluetooth in which the console can connect even to your phone.
    Useless as far as I'm concerned. I have bluetooth connectivity w/ my phone to my laptop and all I use it for is file transfer like once every month.

Now, let's compare the $399 X360 package to the $599 PS3 60Gb Premium.

1. PS3 includes all mentioned in 20Gb that X360 doesn't have.
    True.

2. X360's HD-DVD add-on will add $199 to the package, which totals $598.
    Only if you want to get an HD-DVD player, and, to utilize it, you'll need a $5,000 entertainment system, which makes differences in total price minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

3. PS3 has HDMI output.
    True.

4. PS3 has wireless IEEE 802.11 b/g connection which means it can connect to your modem/router wirelessly, while the X360 wireless adapter will cost you another $99.
    I use a hardwire seX-BOX live connection. Plus, hasn't there been problems with PS3's IEEE 802.11b/g connection?

To sum it all up, you'll need to buy a $697 X360 to match a $599 PS3, so please quit saying the PS3's overpriced because there is no need for extra components, and even if you were to buy a controller for it, it'd cost the same as the X360's, both at $49.99 wireless. Also, at least the games don't stutter in PS3 like Test Drive on X360. And yes, I've played both at my home, and when me and my bro got the PS3, we quickly returned the X360 for full refund.
    Only if you get ALL the options you listed.

And if anybody wants to use Gears of War as defense, that game only uses the toned-down Unreal 2007 engine, and the game itself, Unreal Tournament 2007, will only be available to PS3 and PC. You can even tell the differences just by comparing the screenshots on some game review site, it just boasts more complex texture and 3D models. Remember, X360 runs on a modified version of DirectX and Shader Model 4.0 on the ATi R520-based chip, which performance-wise it's inferior to the PS3's G70-based nVidia chip since the PS3 runs on OpenGL which nVidia chips always beat ATi on, therefore it has higher graphical potential.
    True, but when you compare the base prices of the system, all those tech advances come w/ the +/- $200 difference in price. And, like I stated w/ the HD-DVD stuff, to take advantage of all the graphical gizmos, you've gotta have a pretty nice television.

The only thing PS3 lacks is launch titles, we're flying through those 3 games we bought and the good games aren't until early next year.

Agreed. But, launch titles always suck.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Agreed. But, launch titles always suck.
    Except for the wii
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

I was extremely sceptical of the Wii, after all, Nintendo has failed consistantly since the SNES in my opinion. It just got steadily worse, with consoles that were more and more below the benchmark set by Sony, and eventually Microsoft.

But in the end...that is a great console. I saw it at an expo, it is really something.
    The 360 is everything it has to be and should be. I havent touched a PS3 yet, me living in Australia and all, but I think it will even out to being better than the Xbox. Thats just me though. Yeah, the price is a bitch.
    All about the t-tops

Yeah, but what if Blue Ray fails? Remember Sony has lost a format war before.

Then what sort of HDD dose the 360 have if it's not interchangeable?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Well, I bet a 20 gig HDD is comparable to a 60 gig HDD from Sony. I'm thinking saved files on the PS3 may take up more space than your average seX-BOX 360 file.. that's just my guess though, don't quote me on it.
    About the same actually.

True, but I don't see myself buying an external HD-DVD drive. I'd rather just watch movies on a real DVD player.
    Most people do prefer HD-quality movies now, it's becoming mainstream.

Could be useful, but as of right now, I'm not sure.
    Of course it's useful!! I mean........we're not forced to buy Sony branded HDDs with specified space like Microsoft's 20Gb HDDs for the X360, plus then it would be cheaper too since these guys wanna earn money through the accessories thus a much higher price if you buy the HDDs from them.

Useless as far as I'm concerned. I have bluetooth connectivity w/ my phone to my laptop and all I use it for is file transfer like once every month.
    Oh well at least it's an addition, great for quick photo transfers though.

Only if you want to get an HD-DVD player, and, to utilize it, you'll need a $5,000 entertainment system, which makes differences in total price minuscule in the grand scheme of things.
    So, if you get X360 for $399, you can have HD-quality movies on your HDTV for an extra $199 while the $499 PS3 already has it built-in, and you know how much these players cost if you buy the standalones.....HD things are really becoming a standard, and not all HDTVs are that expensive, you can get a nice one for $1k and spend a few hundreds on sound and you're set.

I use a hardwire seX-BOX live connection. Plus, hasn't there been problems with PS3's IEEE 802.11b/g connection?
    Not if you set your router right, I just enable DMZ to open up all ports on the PS3 so it doesn't run into any port issue. And speaking of which, all those Live subscriptions add up, while we get free online gaming with PS3.

Only if you get ALL the options you listed.
    And without the HD-DVD or the wireless networking adapter, the X360 would be inferior to the PS3, I was just using them as reference so the X360 can come close in the hardwares part, but it ended up being more expensive than a PS3.

True, but when you compare the base prices of the system, all those tech advances come w/ the +/- $200 difference in price. And, like I stated w/ the HD-DVD stuff, to take advantage of all the graphical gizmos, you've gotta have a pretty nice television.
    I don't think that much people play these things on an old CRT television anyway. Lol.

And hey believe me, graphics do look a bit better in average on a PS3 and gameplay is smoother, while in X360 I experienced some low framerates at time and some stutters. I swear it's probably that ATi chip, it happened to my PC too. When I had the ATi X1900GT it stutters just like Test Drive on X360, but now that I switched back to nVidia 7900GT everything's smooth again. It most likely isn't true but I had lots of headaches with ATi, good thing my bro has that ATi card now.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information