Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: if americans like torque, why not buy diesel engined cars?

The Ford vs Merc comparison isn't valid because the two products are designed to meet MUCH different goals. The Ford engine is a work truck motor. It's designed to provide low end power, be used to tow/haul stuff (ie long runs at higher power loads). It was NOT designed with a cost is no object budget. I wouldn't be surprised if it returned almost the same mileage as the Benz despite being in a very large truck.
    Yes, it hardly represents state of the art in diesels but it, like the tractor, was designed to meet a much different goal. Comparing such dissimilar motors says more about a lack of understanding of engineering design objectives than it does about the products being compared. Kind of like saying an F1 car is better than a Civic. Well that depends on the design goals.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    unless you get electricity out of hydro powered stations, there is still the issue of burning carbon based fuels.
    Not with wind power, or tidal, or 'hot rocks' or solar of course including those giant 'solar towers' etc

I purposely avoid including nookulah (GWB-speak)

And unlike diesels or hybrids where you are still enslaved to petro dollars, as too with white elephants like BMW's ridiculous hydro-powered V12 7-series, the technology for electric cars (which produce zero exhaust emissions and are super cheap to run) is already proven and ready to implement

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    the technology for electric cars (which produce zero exhaust emissions and are super cheap to run) is already proven and ready to implement
    for short distances for sure, and when there is enough time to recharge, yes, but what about these long distance trips where you cover 1000 km per day (and with a diesel often without refuelling). Where do you recharge? how much time will you loose?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

for short distances for sure, and when there is enough time to recharge, yes, but what about these long distance trips where you cover 1000 km per day (and with a diesel often without refuelling). Where do you recharge? how much time will you loose?
    You're right, electric cars are inherently restrictive and not suitable for longer trips. I'm told that, on average, this distance-restriction confines them to approx being suitable for merely 90% of all the trips undertaken by average motorists

For example, according to a 2002 survey by the U.S. Department of Transportation, the average American drives 203 miles each week, and 29 miles per trip

no, the engine will be put in the Q7, one of the least interesting cars available right now....
    I have to agree on this.

And you can also do a 1000km journey without refuelling much in a petrol...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I love the Q7 on the other hand, When is the Q7 V12 TDI coming on sale in the UK? I would've thought the 3.0TDI would be underpowered but having recently been in a Mercedes ML320 CDI, I found that 3.0 V6 TurboDiesels in huge SUV's aren't that bad... The Merc seemed pretty damned powerful and being thrown back into myseat when Jon floored it from the lights really hurt... That things got some power I tell thee...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    I love the Q7 on the other hand, When is the Q7 V12 TDI coming on sale in the UK? I would've thought the 3.0TDI would be underpowered but having recently been in a Mercedes ML320 CDI, I found that 3.0 V6 TurboDiesels in huge SUV's aren't that bad... The Merc seemed pretty damned powerful and being thrown back into myseat when Jon floored it from the lights really hurt... That things got some power I tell thee...
    Then imagine how good the C320 CDI must be...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Then imagine how good the C320 CDI must be...
    Oooh, stick in in the A-Class.. A320 CDI = 1.8T beater????????????

Motion & Emotion

Oooh, stick in in the A-Class.. A320 CDI = 1.8T beater????????????
    You can actually buy a C320 CDI...
    Visca Catalunya!

You can actually buy a C320 CDI...
    I know, I'm just saying that if you actually put in an A-Class, it could well be a 1.8T muncher...

Motion & Emotion

I know, I'm just saying that if you actually put in an A-Class, it could well be a 1.8T muncher...
    Of course you understand nothing...
    Visca Catalunya!

Of course you understand nothing...
    What the hell?

Motion & Emotion

sigh... nothing can beat an 1.8t.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    sigh... nothing can beat an 1.8t.
    But it can.... First hand experience!!

Or is that part of the joke?

Motion & Emotion

What the hell?
    You say the ML320 CDI is a good car and I disagree. I answer you saying that the Mercedes-Benz C-class with the same engines is a much better proposition. And all you have to say is some stupid joke? I come here to discuss about cars, not to hear (read would probably be more appropiate) stupid things.

That's what caused me to leave time ago, and since I returned things have gone worse instead of improving.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information