Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: so, which IS the fastest way around a corner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Doriftoooo is the fastest way around a corner.

HAHA Right DRIFT!!!

On dry tarmac I believe in maintaining momentum and getting max traction out of all four tires.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Taking detours and articular twists are for pansies. Going straight and to the point are for real men.

When dealing with women that is. As for corners, I drive very very boringly to give a good answer.
    it was actually me who killed vasilli zaitsev, heinz thorwald, carlos hatchcock, and simo hayha

Go here

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/

and read the articles on racing line. It only details a 180* turn, and others would be different, but the same idea applies to an extent.

I've always wondered about this question. Thanks for answering it.

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    Go here

http://www.miata.net/sport/Physics/

and read the articles on racing line. It only details a 180* turn, and others would be different, but the same idea applies to an extent.
    what an ace website thanks very much.
    autozine.org

It also depends on where the traction wheels are located.. On really tight corners drifting a FWD can make you loose you some time.. And lots of WRC drivers say the best is to drift as little as possible..

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues
    It also depends on where the traction wheels are located.. On really tight corners drifting a FWD can make you loose you some time...
    On very tight corners FWD cars will very often "drift" - it's the only reason the handbrake was invented. It's the fastest way as it lets you enter the corner faster and transition to the exit. I think you're thinking of front wheel "drift" - understeer - which is bad, very bad
    On loose stuff it is done for lesser corners too.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    On very tight corners FWD cars will very often "drift" - it's the only reason the handbrake was invented. It's the fastest way as it lets you enter the corner faster and transition to the exit. I think you're thinking of front wheel "drift" - understeer - which is bad, very bad
    No.. I really mean oversteer.. but was talking about completely sideways.. Like RWD or AWD.. Of course letting the rear steer the car around is good, but only to a certain point. Too much oversteer and you're standing still
    Last edited by JRodrigues; 12-06-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Hello, hello!!!
    I see you went on and also blown some money on that sweet pedal + wheel set. I envy you!

Quote Originally Posted by gregvl52
    Miata drivers know this stuff!
    Last edited by McReis; 12-07-2006 at 04:29 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

dont you mean understeer? thats not a great way to drift! because the tyre treads at the front have to put up with extra weight (FWD car is front heavy) and the power transmission, they deform sooner meaning grip is lost and car understeers. oh..and the handbrake was designed for when the car is at a standstill.
    autozine.org

^^^ tell that to motorkhanna guys
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    ^^^ tell that to motorkhanna guys
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9t1iV0RsJY
    i didnt know what it was
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    dont you mean understeer? thats not a great way to drift! because the tyre treads at the front have to put up with extra weight (FWD car is front heavy) and the power transmission, they deform sooner meaning grip is lost and car understeers. oh..and the handbrake was designed for when the car is at a standstill.
    had already explained it was NOT understeer - it's enforced oversteer.
    Spot smilies when comments about handbrakes are made
    and any rally car/race car/track car NEVER uses the handbrakes when at a standstill ( cos once they cool down the brake doesn't hold anymore !! )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues
    No.. I really mean oversteer.. but was talking about completely sideways.. Like RWD or AWD.. Of course letting the rear steer the car around is good, but only to a certain point. Too much oversteer and you're standing still
    Hence why it's for tight corners.
    Scandinavian flick and handbrake turns are all highly effective means of getting overstter to enable FASTER corner entry/exit times.
    If you look at a tight hairpin then in one direction the car DOES stand still. Handbrake turns use the centre of inertia of the car to a max to keep the rear end moving to steer. To achieve the same WITHOUT the handbrake the driver needs to be slower into the corner to be able to let the front's steer and hence slower through and exit

"Because it looks cool" isn't a legitimate reason then?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Thread Information