Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 420 Dino.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    But Fiat who owns all of them should.
    Yeah but something really strange will have to happen if a Maserati or Alfa Romeo will ever challenge a Ferrari in this brand-obsessed world.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Well, I suppose I stand corrected by the Double Melissen Consortium.
    we worked totally independent...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Yeah but something really strange will have to happen if a Maserati or Alfa Romeo will ever challenge a Ferrari in this brand-obsessed world.
    Not challenge, but, you get the impression that if Fiat wants Alfa Romeo to go upmarket, with cars such as the 8C and the Brera GTA, and yet Ferrari downmarket, whereas Maserati is kind of in the middle, there will be ovelap with some of the cars of those three brands, which in my opinion could be detrimental for all of them, or at least two of them. And let's remeber that Fiat is starting to recover from a very deep indeed financial crisis and they can't afford any mistakes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    I thought Dino was the name for all V6 Ferrari models. How could the 430 be the modern Dino?
    The 430 may not have a V-6, but it certainly is the cheapest one out there. So I guess it could be considered the Dino.

Looks bad IMO. Hope they change/improve it lots.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well, what he stated and what Ferrari did then was in contradiction and by 1974 old Enzo was still very much in control...
    And anyway there are the 1962 248SP and 268SP which are called Dinos too.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 12-06-2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Visca Catalunya!

i smell bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Looks bad IMO. Hope they change/improve it lots.
    Fortunately the Ferrari/Pininfarina designers don't have to start with Cayman photos.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

i think a current day dino would be under 6 figures and that looks great.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

If it was a rear engined V6 it would be ok, as for the looks... it's going to be uglier, i can look at it for now, so it isn't a proper ferrari yet.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Am I the only who sees a little bit of "Cayman" in this car?
    It looks ugly as hell, and much worse than the 599.

I'm actually going to believe it when I see it despite what sources say.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

The F430 is really too expensive to be a modren Dino. Ferrari needs this car so that it can have something entry level (relatively speaking) and still let the mini supercar (F430) line grow in performance/price.

first of all i think the car in these pics looks great.
    second, i understand that ferrari is labelling this car as Dino, which means that they are obviously targeting carrera buyers, which also means that it is going to be cheaper and lighter, than the 430. Power wise it will definatley have more than 420 bhp.

so that means its great, the only downside are the running costs compared to porsches. Personally i think that its going to be a success. they cant go wrong with figures like that, and whatever final production design it will wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Fortunately the Ferrari/Pininfarina designers don't have to start with Cayman photos.
    Yep. It's a very bad point to start with. This car is a well made cocktail of Ferrari Pieces put into the shape of the Cayman. I highly doubt a front engined V8 could have a front as compact has that.
    I had a good opinion from windingroad.com, but since they've came out with an issue with that thing has the main subject I doubt they deserve the credit.
    I also doubt that the current mid-engined range will be replaced for a front engined one. If it makes perfect sense on the "GT - V12 class" it seems unnapropriate for a market where nimbleness and efficiency are the main targets.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I also doubt that the current mid-engined range will be replaced for a front engined one. If it makes perfect sense on the "GT - V12 class" it seems unnapropriate for a market where nimbleness and efficiency are the main targets.
    This car is not meant to replace the mid-engined range (the actual Dinos) but rather to be an entry level Ferrari (wheter it carries that badge or it doesn't, it's not really important) below that mid-engined range. Furthermore it's not clear which engine it'll use, if it'll be front or mid engined or even if it'll reach production at all...
    Visca Catalunya!

It makes very little sense to make a Ferrari to compete against the Carrera, mainly because of the running costs. A recent thread that pointed at the ridiculous maintenance costs of a 612 Scag makes you think Ferraris are only meant for the ridiculously rich. Then again, maybe the real estate agent that maintained the Scaglietti just threw money at the car. You know, I spent a $rand on an oil change and had the wheel lugnuts exchanged type of thing...

If a Dino is produced it should be mid-engined, using a destroked version of the 4.2, maybe a 3.6 like the 360's. The Dino should be about light weight and Horsepower shouldn't really be the driving force. The 3.6 V8 should be at least 350 HP, but the car shouldn't weight more than a Cayman, as this will be Ferrari's Cayman... Price: no more than $100K for the base car. Just my take.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information