Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Car Culture of Today

The Car Culture of Today

I'm writing a paper about the car culture today and I wanted to see some other opinions on the subject.

So, what do you think the car culture of today is like(influences, problems, people, etc.), and where do you fit in it?

Will it have to be situated in the USA?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hrmm, I wouldn't say so. Whatever it means to you.

Problem: Joyriders stealing cars because they think that richer people shouldn't be allowed to have some fun. Result: Higher insurance rates.

Problem: Police neglecting their duties as enforcers of the law, relying on speed cameras for their jobs and revenue. Result: Higher accident rates on the roads. I am not kidding.

Joys: The German Power War. AMG vs. M Division vs. RS/S Division. Result: Lots of hugely powerful saloons, coupés, estates and convertibles just begging to be bought and played with.

Joys: Restoration of classics. Huge trade has sprung up, and now beautifully resurrected phantoms waft along roads, pummelling passers-by with their exhausts, a reminder of when 'environment' was just another word in the dictionary. They also quietly sneak into classified ads for cheap.

Influences: Racing technology. BMW's M cars utilise F1 technology, so do Ferraris, Mitsubishi and Subaru have harnessed the rallying power from the grandaddies Audi. Result: More exciting road cars for Joe Punter.

Influences: Middle-income, middle-class folks wanting more speed, but without the drawbacks of a lack of practicality. Result: Hot hatches (Golf GTi), speedy sedans (BMW M5), excellent estates (Audi RS6) and stupid SUVs (Porsche Cayenne).

How it affects me: Petrolhead, new to it, wanting a nice, shiny, fast car. I can't get that until I am over 25, thanks to a lot of the younger guys in the population thinking they're ****ing Colin McRae and can do anything. Insurance has killed me, even if I can get cheap speed. But I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Hrmm, I wouldn't say so. Whatever it means to you.
    because I see some differences in car cultures in Europe or in the USA, (let alone Africa or Asia)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    because I see some differences in car cultures in Europe or in the USA, (let alone Africa or Asia)
    Yes I realize that. So state what it means to you so I can see the differences...

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Yes I realize that. So state what it means to you so I can see the differences...
    Cars should be part of an overall mobility policy, rather than dictate all city/suburb developments. Alternative means of transport should be feasible/made available. Total dependence on cars should be avoided at all costs, it will disqualify the elderly, the handicapped and the poor.

The Japanese have some of the coolest enthusiast styles out there. Between VIP, Bozozuka, and those huge vans that look like rolling slot machines- they have the market cornered on crazy cool stuff.

As for differences in culture, it's all cyclical. The Euro-enthusiast Americans all want to look like the Euros did a few years ago. The JDM-enthusiast Americans are spending hundreds and thousands of dollars for rare pieces from Japan for the Hondas and Nissans. A lot of the Europeans are copying the low-rider theme that started in the US. And the Japanese are all over the place. In a few years it'll probably be exactly the opposite.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    The Japanese have some of the coolest enthusiast styles out there. Between VIP, Bozozuka, and those huge vans that look like rolling slot machines- they have the market cornered on crazy cool stuff.

As for differences in culture, it's all cyclical. The Euro-enthusiast Americans all want to look like the Euros did a few years ago. The JDM-enthusiast Americans are spending hundreds and thousands of dollars for rare pieces from Japan for the Hondas and Nissans. A lot of the Europeans are copying the low-rider theme that started in the US. And the Japanese are all over the place. In a few years it'll probably be exactly the opposite.
    I think this essay should be about car culture, with emphasis on culture and not about car fans. Fans are part of the culture, but not the determining element.

Yeah, all these fantastically cool cars eg RS6, E63AMG ML63AMG RS4 etc, all good for speed until the sodding 155mph electronic limiters...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    Yeah, all these fantastically cool cars eg RS6, E63AMG ML63AMG RS4 etc, all good for speed until the sodding 155mph electronic limiters...
    talking about culture....

I think this essay should be about car culture, with emphasis on culture and not about car fans. Fans are part of the culture, but not the determining element.
    I think Johnny should determine what this essay should be about.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I think Johnny should determine what this essay should be about.
    I think his teachers have done that already...

The paper is about the influences(internet, magazines, movies, tv,etc.) of today on the car culture. It covers the effects of those influences and how the influences and information systems we have today have changed the car culture significantly.

I think his teachers have done that already...
    No, I can write about anything I wish. This school would never tell students to write about cars.

Thread Information