Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Car Culture of Today

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    By the way, IIRC, the RS6 Plus had the top speed raised to 280km/h.
    How much is 280km/h in MPH btw? That's really cool. The RS4 can now properly stretch its legs out.

The Japanese also have a Gentlemen's Agreement. Really useless I'd say. Restricted performance of many cars. Real dumb.

Not that Nissan or Toyota listened though....

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    How much is 280km/h in MPH btw? That's really cool. The RS4 can now properly stretch its legs out.

The Japanese also have a Gentlemen's Agreement. Really useless I'd say. Restricted performance of many cars. Real dumb.

Not that Nissan or Toyota listened though....
    280km/h = 174mph
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I think you should consider a comparison on how cars reflect the country they belong to and how manufacturers, most times, just reflect what each country is about. Also how car's image influences a country's image. Examples: microcars in Japan= Over crowded cities or Ferrari= latin way of living. Sorry if it sounds confusing...I swear I was trying to help...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant
    I think you should consider a comparison on how cars reflect the country they belong to and how manufacturers, most times, just reflect what each country is about. Also how car's image influences a country's image. Examples: microcars in Japan= Over crowded cities or Ferrari= latin way of living. Sorry if it sounds confusing...I swear I was trying to help...
    Leo_Ant's post got me thinking. You could write about how different countries and even continents have different tastes and or needs. For example: Why do Europeans prefer smaller displacement engines and lighter cars as opposed to American's preference for larger displacement and heavier cars. How and why are driving styles different and so forth. Just my 2cents.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

I think there is a developing trend where you have all these segments. There are Euro car fans, American car fans, and Asian car fans. This is driving a copycat market where if a European car does well then American car makers want to pick up on it and do better, and vice versa.

American cars are going down right now, they are dieing slowly and why? Well thats a whole nother thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    I think there is a developing trend where you have all these segments. There are Euro car fans, American car fans, and Asian car fans. This is driving a copycat market where if a European car does well then American car makers want to pick up on it and do better, and vice versa.

American cars are going down right now, they are dieing slowly and why? Well thats a whole nother thing.
    In North America:

Young people like cheap tuner cars and Exotics moslty, with a few muscle car fans mixed in. This trend will continue to grow until the market is completely dominated by those to segments, cheap easily modifed cars, and exotic and/or supercars. Of course I'm thinking in general here.

Also the geography of the continent can determine the size of the cars. Europe and japan hav small cars because they hav small distances to travel and dont need a a lot of pulling power, while Australia have larger distances to travel so we generally opt for larger sedans. Also petrol prices determine the size of cars, the recent petrol crisis and the 1 in the 70's have increased small car production and the recent 1 has instigated a more agressive alternitave fuel market.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

280km/h = 174mph
    i think like 420 kmh is like 250mph i think or around that

forgot the mph lol
    No Me Gusta Tu Coche

Cars have increasingly become an outlet for people to express and experience. MP3 players, gaming systems, ridiculous audio systems, and the all important boobtube to bring all the distractions of your living room along with you so the trip to the Mall isn't so unbearable.

Then, there's bling for the wheels (pun intended)
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

If you ask me the majour problem the car causes is congestion, and, worse, the foremost polluter on the planet. Mass use of the automobile (like today) will cause majour problems in the near and distant future that really need to be addressed.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    If you ask me the majour problem the car causes is congestion, and, worse, the foremost polluter on the planet. Mass use of the automobile (like today) will cause majour problems in the near and distant future that really need to be addressed.
    The car is nothing compared to all the other sources of pollution such as industries or power stations.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The car is nothing compared to all the other sources of pollution such as industries or power stations.
    And yet there is a clear alternative to coal and other dirty power plants, namely, nuclear. If most cars go hydrogen and most power goes nuclear, our energy needs would be in a healthy state. And automobiles are by FAR the most polluting thing on this planet.

And yet there is a clear alternative to coal and other dirty power plants, namely, nuclear.
    Not as far as Esso are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Not as far as Esso are concerned.
    And Mr. Bush, while we're at it.

And yet there is a clear alternative to coal and other dirty power plants, namely, nuclear. If most cars go hydrogen and most power goes nuclear, our energy needs would be in a healthy state. And automobiles are by FAR the most polluting thing on this planet.
    i agree that cars polute significantly but doesnt power stations polute more significant? Have you also noticed how China are building lots of coal powerplants? I am sympathetic towards my shortfalls in being more envirenmentally considerate however feel disheartened by our neighbours not even sharing this concern.

I work for an oil/gas sevice provider and i am noticing a huge cultural change. these companies are turning from oil/gas companies to energy companies. There is significant ethos changes and structural changes being undertaken by BP, Exxon Mobil, Chevron,...all are at least preparing for change really soon. I never believed it until we started recieving big money for technologies and contracts that reduce envirenmantal footprints and exploit renewable resources.
    Last edited by jediali; 12-07-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    autozine.org

Thread Information