Thread: First BMW drive: 2003 BMW 323 Ci

First BMW drive: 2003 BMW 323 Ci

Woah. I can't believe that I got to drive that car. I also moved a Corvette C5 out of the way to drive it, and this is only the third major time I have driven stick (the first time being in Scotland before I even had my liscence on some POS, the second time about 6 months ago in a like '86 Corolla on death's door). I stalled only a handful of times and kept the gear shifting pretty smooth - it was at least passable manual driving - I only had some difuclty when there was intricate situations. Damn, it was a blast to drive this car... I revved the 'vette to 6500 rom to hear it. It was wicked. This was my female friend's Dad's cars, and he let me drive them just for shits. I drove the BMW around for about 30 mins and we got some people in the back seats. Unfortunately, he only uses it half of the year, so the engine sounded like she needed a little work (he uses the 'vette in good weather. Man, I was so pumped and can hardly believe that happened. BMWs rock. I will try to post some pics, but sadly, there is no way to verify it is me. I thought of getting a oen and paper for Egg Nog tests but there were none around. I suppose I could do it in future though.

awesome. i had a similair experience with my neighbors Audi it was quite the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy
    I will try to post some pics, but sadly, there is no way to verify it is me. I thought of getting a oen and paper for Egg Nog tests but there were none around. I suppose I could do it in future though.
    I don't see why anyone would lie about driving a BMW 323 Ci. I don't think the eggnogg is necessary. I've had a life altering car experience like that too. Mine was 3 years ago when I drove my best friend's dad's new E320 4-Matic. The first time I had driven a Mercedes (or any nice car for that matter), and it was the most incredible thing I'd ever felt in my entire life (at that time).

E320 CDI or a petrol?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    E320 CDI or a petrol?
    In Canada probably a petrol powered E-class...

Kitdy, what was the BMW like?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You have driven nothing till you have been behind the wheels of a VE Calais
    6800rpm
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

6800 rpm might be a lot for an australian car but my 16 year old audi did 7000. Anyway I have never driven a BMW yet or any proper rwd car. With the AWD it's almost impossible to crash, I guess with and rwd I need to be a bit more careful.

The BMW sadly is only a winter driven car as I mentioned - this makes it hard to evaluate the performance as the engine sounded quite harsh and rattly as I was the first to take her for a proper drive this winter. Definetly a gas (petrol) engine, and as for the 2003, that is probably wrong, I think it is a 1998 (the only year it was made) but was told it was a 2003 by my female friend. I was surprised that the redline was only about 6000 rpm - low for a BMW I thought but I had driven around in my family's acuta alot as well and that gets about a 7500 redline. No less, this car loved to accelerate - even if it had a measly 168 HP. The drive was smooth, good brake and wheel feel, extremely responsive to any kind of pedal to the medal-ry, and quite confident in grip (however I did feel the unique RWD slidery on the slightly snowy/wet ground once or twice ). It was a blast. Also, revving that C5's engine (though I am not very keen or 'vettes) made me feel like a god. That thing had so much power it was crazy. I may actually get to drive that one day too. I will definetly tell you if I do...

My friend also had the unique opportunity of driving his uncle's brand new SL55 AMG(I think he just took it around the block - but his uncle also owns a Testarossa, an E class of some type, an E-Type Jaguar and some other Benzes - hopefully I can try them out someday!) In fact this same friend was also offered to drive his good family friend's E55 AMG (he declined - he now regrets) and I hope as hell that when those friend's get their new Porsche 911 turbo, he will get a ride in it so he can tell me about it .

Yea, the E320 was definitely a petrol. Diesels are rare here. I've only seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_20v
    6800 rpm might be a lot for an australian car but my 16 year old audi did 7000. Anyway I have never driven a BMW yet or any proper rwd car. With the AWD it's almost impossible to crash, I guess with and rwd I need to be a bit more careful.
    How many litres did it take

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    Yea, the E320 was definitely a petrol. Diesels are rare here. I've only seen one.
    One diesel? Or one Mercedes diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    How many litres did it take
    It did 1 litres every 5 km if you mean that. (I take it you dont mean displacement)

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_20v
    It did 1 litres every 5 km if you mean that. (I take it you dont mean displacement)
    Yes displacement sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    One diesel? Or one Mercedes diesel?
    One diesel E-class. Theres plenty of diesel jettas, silverados, sierras, etc. As for diesel mercedes, the only ones you see are from early 90's and older. I haven't been on the mercedes site for a while, but the first diesel that I saw was when the new generation of E-classes came out, they offered one model. Of those new models, I had only seen one on the road. I'm going to have a look to see what they've got now.

Ok so I checked, and we've got a whole 2 diesel mercedes currently available here lol. The R320 CDI, and E320 BLUETEC. I thought they'd at least have a C-class too, but apparently not.
    Last edited by DesmoRob; 12-09-2006 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information