Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Gear's COTY 2006

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Thank God Jeremy Clarkson has no say in this.
    Seriously, I would respect his opinion on cars more then yours...

please. He would say "Don't buy the Perouda Kelisa. (fires rocket at it)." "Don't buy (insert car) because it's so goddamn stupid(insert wanton method of destruction).
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveracing
    they hit the nail on the head in every category, probably the first time i have agreed with all the winners that were chosen...
    I just find it peculiar that the categories did not fully covered what was in the market. weird. I'd say we pick

Superminis (eg Mini, Yaris)
    Small Sedan (eg Civic, Corolla)
    Mid Sedan (eg Accord, Mazda6)
    Large Sedan (eg Legend)
    Compact Exec (eg 3Series, A4, C-Class, IS, X-Type)
    Mid Exec (eg 5Series, A6, E-Class, GS, S-Type)
    Large Exec (eg 7Series, A8, S-Class, LS, Arnage)
    Luxury (eg RR, MBach)
    Sports Sedan (eg M3, RS4..)
    Hothatch
    Coupe (eg RX-8)
    Grand Tourer (eg RX-8 as well :::: eg 612 Scaglietti)
    Cabriolet
    Roadster
    SUV (No size differentiation, due these should be BIG, there's no such thing as, i want a small SUV for its agility, the poorer you are, the smaller your SUV is, less gradient you can conquer. )
    MPV (No size differentiation, due these should be BIG, there's no such thing as, i want a small MPV for its agility, the poorer you are, the smaller your MPV is, less people you could carry, less comfortable. )

That's my categories and examples of how a COTY award should cover. 0.02 ...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Seriously, I would respect his opinion on cars more then yours...
    Of all the motor reviewers i read and watch, all opinions, I had never met one with such in-depth insights into cars (that we buy). He tends to probe into the 'feel' of the car, the perceived impressions it gave, and the passion of engineers around him. and i think he's quite right, larger boots, stronger engines, thicker floor mats doesnt mean anything, it's all about appropriatness rather than outright figure bashings. RESPECT.

p.s. Anyone watch Top Gear regularly? Try watch 5th Gear.... I always slept halfway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    I just find it peculiar that the categories did not fully covered what was in the market. weird. I'd say we pick

Superminis (eg Mini, Yaris)
    Small Sedan (eg Civic, Corolla)
    Mid Sedan (eg Accord, Mazda6)
    Large Sedan (eg Legend)
    Compact Exec (eg 3Series, A4, C-Class, IS, X-Type)
    Mid Exec (eg 5Series, A6, E-Class, GS, S-Type)
    Large Exec (eg 7Series, A8, S-Class, LS, Arnage)
    Luxury (eg RR, MBach)
    Sports Sedan (eg M3, RS4..)
    Hothatch
    Coupe (eg RX-8)
    Grand Tourer (eg RX-8 as well :::: eg 612 Scaglietti)
    Cabriolet
    Roadster
    SUV (No size differentiation, due these should be BIG, there's no such thing as, i want a small SUV for its agility, the poorer you are, the smaller your SUV is, less gradient you can conquer. )
    MPV (No size differentiation, due these should be BIG, there's no such thing as, i want a small MPV for its agility, the poorer you are, the smaller your MPV is, less people you could carry, less comfortable. )

That's my categories and examples of how a COTY award should cover. 0.02 ...
    If you get into too much detail, you'll be giving awards to cars which dont really deserve it, but since theres a category you have to give it to someone.

I like Ingolstadt's idea. There needs to be more damn categories. First off, is the 599 even a supercar? It is hard I guess at the high end - the line gets blurry. The Koenigsegg definetly is.

On another note, Quiggs, Lamborghinis do not suck. They only suck when compared to the fine German engineering bestowed in the world's best and most favourite little engine that spews out demonic revs and noise: the glory that can only be...

THE 1.8T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!1!!

VDub 4 Lyfe homiez. Take dat j00 Lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I tried telling you Lamborghinis suck.
    Sad, but true.

I'd buy one over a Ferrari regardless.

Top Gear needs to do what it used to do and seperate MPV's from the Astra/Focus etc. and Mondeo/Vectra etc. categories.

I think the Ferrari 599 is a sort of "Ultimate GT", therefore I think the "GT" category needs to be seperated into the "Under £100k" and the "Over 100k", the Fezza competing in the latter, leaving the "Supercar" category for the likes of the CCR and LP640.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I tried telling you Lamborghinis suck.
    Just because they bring out a true supercar that's not as easy to drive as a Golf (and some mentally retarded rapper/pimp wannabes, sons of middle-eastern oil emperors and yuppies promptly go and crash them) doesn't mean they suck. Quite the opposite, The LP640 at least, is a proper Lamborghini. Evo couldn't praise it enough in it's review and it came 2nd to the 599 in the eCOTY.

Manual please. Still deciding on colour.

Greetings. This is called the Internet, a product of the planet Earth. In order to communicate with you, we need to know what the f*ck you've been taking...!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    This is why I buy Evo.
    Amen.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Big isn't always better. And in my opinion I'd be better if they made their according to the market segments. That's A (Toyota Aygo, VW Fox), B (Fiat Punto, Renault Clio), C (Citroen C4, Alfa Romeo 147), D (Alfa Romeo 159 Saab 9-3), E (Citroen C6, Lancia Thesis), F (Maserati Quattroporte, Bentley Arnage), G (Coupés), H (Convertibles), I (Off Roaders, SUVs) and K (MPVs).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

It seems to me that you guys are making more categories so that there's more winners. Eg .. By you're reconing we'll need a 'German world war battle tank with cupholders of the year' for that Panzer tank, because I think that's the only vehicle you've actually not tried to assign an award to yet.

SUV (No size differentiation, due these should be BIG, there's no such thing as, i want a small SUV for its agility, the poorer you are, the smaller your SUV is, less gradient you can conquer.
    I'm sorry. Last time I checked, my Dad's £20k Land Rover Defender was much, much larger in proportion to his £50k Range Rover.

*Looks out window*

Yup - still is.
    Last edited by :Exige:; 12-09-2006 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    If you get into too much detail, you'll be giving awards to cars which dont really deserve it, but since theres a category you have to give it to someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    It seems to me that you guys are making more categories so that there's more winners. Eg .. By you're reconing we'll need a 'German world war battle tank with cupholders of the year' for that Panzer tank, because I think that's the only vehicle you've actually not tried to assign an award to yet.
    If we're choosing like Evo did :" Best car of the year" Then there ain't no need of such categories, but Top Gear categorizes them without a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place; hence i find it weird to not cateogize 'correctly'.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    Sad, but true.

I'd buy one over a Ferrari regardless.
    Lambo too. Ferrari's starting to look ... cissy, bar Enzo thou. Love the engine note thou.

I'm sorry. Last time I checked, my Dad's £20k Land Rover Defender was much, much larger in proportion to his £50k Range Rover.

*Looks out window*

Yup - still is.
    Yeah, you're trying to pick that one on me. How bout a CRV then? Suzuki Jimny? Common, i know a ML 63 AMG is tones more expensive but smaller than a Q7 3.0 ...

p.s Exige : it's freakin cumbersome to post this way... how Slicks manage this?!?!

Yeah, you're trying to pick that one on me. How bout a CRV then? Suzuki Jimny? Common, i know a ML 63 AMG is tones more expensive but smaller than a Q7 3.0 ...
    That's one example, but generally more expensive doesn't mean bigger.
    p.s Exige : it's freakin cumbersome to post this way... how Slicks manage this?!?!
    Live with it

That's one example, but generally more expensive doesn't mean bigger.
    LoL, That's one example you gave there; generally; more $, more size.

LoL, That's one example you gave there; generally; more $, more size.
    A Spyker C8 is a small car and it's bloody expensive.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

err.... we're going about SUVs and MPVs.

Thread Information