Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: So you can afford a Ferrari?

Quote Originally Posted by Pantdino
    If the owners had been real enthusiasts and had some knowledge of how to work on cars themselves, they could have done almost all of the non-covered stuff themselves, saving a ton.
    Amen to that.

Even if the owner is an enthusiast to them it may still be better value to have a service centre to do the work.

This can be due to that the service centre can do it faster, the owners may well earn more than the quoted $333/hr, or for the retained resale value of saying every part and fault was fixed by a service centre as soon as it was noticed.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Wow. I don't know if Capone is lashing out against Americans or just humor in general.

Anyway, I've pretty much turned my back on the local Subaruery. After quoting me $500 per front brake discs for my STi and another $360 for front pads, I'd had it with them; That was the last straw. I bought Brembo (original) slotted discs and Hawk HP autocross-worthy pads on my own. After having them installed by Motorsports Authority (¡MAD PROPS BROZ!) in Conway, the total price came to a tic over $600.

I don't know what this will mean for my warranty. The cocksuckers down at Riverside Acura Subaru will probably say the new discs and pads void the powertrain warranty, but **** them too if they can't take a joke. I can't emphasize my fury after they had to gall to expect me to pay damn-near two grand for front brakes.

If anybody reading this ever winds up in Little Rock, Arkansas, don't forget to go to Riverside Acura Subaru and kick the little Barney Rubble looking guy with the big facial scar in the nuts. He overrevved my engine with a retarded downshift during a test drive, and when I asked if he'd ever driven a car before, the asshole did it again. I guess that was his answer.

Having said that, getting regular maintenance at an authorized Ferrari dealer does help a Ferrari's resale value. But it'd take someone smarter (and less lazy) than me to compile and crunch the numbers to get a dollars-to-donuts conclusion about whether knowledgeable, but unauthorized shops provide more cost-effective service than bona-fide Ferrari shops.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Expensive to buy. Expensive to insure. Expensive to fill up. Expensive to fix.

*does not compute*

I'm sorry, I really don't want a Ferrari anymore. At all. Particularly not when it could cost me $1300+ to get a new set of wiper blades and a seat control switch that I can get off eBay collectively for £30 (plus £15 P&P )

Seriously, that's utterly ridiculous. I'd probably just toddle along to my local mechanic to get mine fixed. If I had one. As if I'd ever buy one now, after reading that.

^ there's always porsche....
    $150 for each service FTW
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    ^ there's always porsche....
    $150 for each service FTW
    That's downright cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    That's downright cheap.
    considering chrysler charge ~$200 to service the lumps of shit they call cars, yes
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

A mate of mine used to work at Gulsons (Maserati dealer) and claimed that to gain access to the oil filter on a Biturbo V6 required draining & removal of the radiator (a big capacity turbo unit) which itself involved removing (and emptying) the A/C condensor

Those oil filters are unusually positioned, horizontally on the leading face of the engine, pretty much jammed in behind the radiator

Quite a few years back now, but IIRC that 'little' job (changing the oil, basically) was then worth over 900 smackers, or 1000% more than for a regular car like Holden eg

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Even if the owner is an enthusiast to them it may still be better value to have a service centre to do the work.

This can be due to that the service centre can do it faster, the owners may well earn more than the quoted $333/hr, or for the retained resale value of saying every part and fault was fixed by a service centre as soon as it was noticed.
    Let's see... buy car at $225K, sell after 30,000 miles for $90K. I don't think resale value is something we can consider here.

And for the guy who makes over $333 an hour ($666 K per year) money has lost all meaning anyway, so what does he care what it's worth when he's done?

My point is that you don't have to be rich to own a Ferrari if you know about cars and how to work on them. Most mechanics are not geniuses and you don't have to be one to fix the vast majority of problems they develop.

Also, the rich guy may enjoy being seen in an expensive toy, but he won't have the satisfaction that comes from fixing something yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    As a patriotic American, I have to assume you're a big terrorist since you don't name your country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    It was humour, calm down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    He can read and write so I'm thinking he is educated. Ignorant possibly I don't know him, but the fact that you just lashed out at him shows you're inability to control you're own anger and all in all is it really going to do anything attacking him from behind a computer screen? Calm down, they're just words.
    *sighs* i havent been on UCP in a while, it was starting to grate me a bit, and this is exactly why. Calling someone a terrorist, in this day and age, is NOT funny. I can fully understand the dudes come-back, if you dont wanna agree with what he says, leave it, no need to start random name-calling.

back to topic, it is truly ridiculous the amount of money being charged! I understand whens its being done to keep the resale value higher, but it still is mind-boggling. If our little Honda can roll off the end of a travelator and not need to be fixed a few weeks later, why cant a prestigious Ferrari that should have had love and care lavished on it? I like that quote about the Porsche/Ferrari jobs, good one!!
    Porsche!

I was just wondering... the notion of these repairs and services being done through Ferrari and how it would save a lot on the resale value, well how much, exactly or an estimate, would it save. Give me some ballpark estimates on the resale value of a 550 that was strictly factory serviced etc. versus one that wasn't. I can't imagine that the prices you would pay to have everything factory serviced or factory repaired, as shown with the numbers at the beginning of this thread, would equate to a "positive" value come resale time. Somebody please fill me in.

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    *sighs* i havent been on UCP in a while, it was starting to grate me a bit, and this is exactly why. Calling someone a terrorist, in this day and age, is NOT funny. I can fully understand the dudes come-back, if you dont wanna agree with what he says, leave it, no need to start random name-calling.
    *Joins in sighage* Me too. I post on Pistonheads now...
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Not being on UCP for a while would mean that wouldn't have seen LandQuail's posts, which generally contain more sarcasm than all 4 seasons of Blackadder
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

*sighs* i havent been on UCP in a while, it was starting to grate me a bit
    then leave, if you have been so long that you know none of the new members, and don't understand whats going on but must bitch about it, feel free to go away again

Quote Originally Posted by billabong2 View Post
    i own 2 ferraris, Ferrari F430 and a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano in red
    there both awsome cars. if you guys want a ferrari you have to work hard to acheive your goals thats what i did and my dreams came ture. but the service is where you pay a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Billabong2, there is a lot of kids who come on here and claim great cars, just just be prepared when proof of ownership is requested.

I'm sure you'll understand that this has lead to some doubts about some claims.
    Cyco,

The doubt shouldn't arise just because he posts on an Internet forum. But we should doubt him because of the many red flags:

1. His avatar shows a stock photo of a Ferrari, in a grayish color
    2. He spells out the full name of the 599...
    3. He claims that his 599 is red.. there is no such color, there's Rosso Corsa, etc
    4. He doesn't know how to spell ("there both awsome cars", "acheive ", "came ture")

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

billabong2,

I suggest you take your own advice and work hard, then achieve something, instead of making up stories.

Other car guys will have more respect for you, even if you have a used Honda Civic Si.

~shahedc
    Last edited by shahedc; 10-15-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Thread Information