Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the difference between Benz G-class and GL-class?

What is the difference between Benz G-class and GL-class?

Just the exterior
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I Love PORSCHE GT3!

Different packaging,chassis,driveline and probably interior Also the idea behind it is completely different

Thread closed.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Different packaging,chassis,driveline and probably interior Also the idea behind it is completely different

Thread closed.
    absolutely!

p.s. now the thread is definately closed
    autozine.org

so what WERE the ideas behind these vehicles? Money and more money?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by herojan
    Just the exterior
    The difference is in the intended use. The GL-class is an extended wheelbase version of the ML-class, which was designed to be a road-going SUV. Whereas, the G-class are meant for true off-road use. Many people buy the Gelandewagen for street use just because it's among the rarest of SUVs and most expensive Mercedes SUV. The logic being, mo' money makes it mo' bettah, really though the G-class is not optimized for road use.

The only thing these two share is the engine, which probably resides in many other Benz bodystyles.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I want a G 55 AMG. Just to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    That too probably GL for road-use and Gelandewagen for offroad use as explained above

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The original purpose for the G-class Mercedes-Benz was being a military off road. Since then Mercedes-Benz has decided to sell civilian versions of it for the reasons you mention. The GL-class is just another SUV.

I believe they don't share a single bolt, since the G-class still uses the old 3-valve engines and 5-speed gearboxes whereas the new GL-class has the new 4-vavle engines and 7-speed gearboxes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the G-Class is, as Ferrer said, a military off-roader. Spartan, basically for off-roading well...

the GL-Class is a luxury SUV, which is very good off-road, but is not designed simply for off-roading

The Canadian Forces use G-Wagons
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The_Canuck; 12-11-2006 at 01:47 PM.

Well actually I think the GL class is supposed to be the modern replacement of the G class. It's just that the G class is so popular that they don't want to kill it off yet. But as they said, the offerings are completely different. There's a third row in the G but not the GL. Big difference. Space is probably less to, with all the 4WD transfer cases. The G is a serious offroader, while the GL is an offroader but not a serious one. I'm sure it's still quite capable though.

Actually I think the GL has the third row.^

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Well actually I think the GL class is supposed to be the modern replacement of the G class. It's just that the G class is so popular that they don't want to kill it off yet. But as they said, the offerings are completely different. There's a third row in the G but not the GL. Big difference. Space is probably less to, with all the 4WD transfer cases. The G is a serious offroader, while the GL is an offroader but not a serious one. I'm sure it's still quite capable though.
    I think that the focus of the GL project might at first have been the replacement of the G-class, but probably as the project progressed they changed of idea. Then again I don't think the G-class is replaceable.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

If they did away with the G-Class, it would leave many needy Russian Gangsters without a means of transportation.
    I'm erudite ;-)

The GL is not a "replacement" for the G-wagen.

The G-wagen (W460/461)was conceived as a light duty, four wheel drive, off-roader for use by military forces in various roles - hence the reason that it is built in Austria by Steyr-Daimler-Puch alongside APCs and automatic rifles.

Introduced in the late 1970s, the G-Wagen has been adopted by the armed forces of 13 countries, including such military superpowers as Luxembourg and Finland. The car was also sold commercially as a Mercedes in Germany and, initially, as a Puch for the international market.

The model was updated in 1990 as the W463, and a "luxury" version with leather and wood was introduced in 1998 which is when "celebrities" started taking an interest.

With military orders filled, production was scheduled to end, but the niche popularity of the model has ensured that it will continue to be built for the time being - and if it is still in production, how has it been "replaced"?

The GL-Klasse (X164) is a new model that fulfils the "need" for a seven-seat SUV in the Mercedes model range (to compete with the XC90, Discovery, Q7, new X5 etc), and is built in Alabama. Surprisingly; not much of the 1970's technology has been carried over to the new model.

It isn't a replacement for the W463 because:-

- Not intended for military/SAR/etc use

- Not a true off-roader

- It is much, much bigger

- No convertible version

- The G-Wagen is still in production

I suspect that the "G" nomenclature has been retained merely to entice stupid "celebrities" into buying the shiny, expensive new ones that will be seen by the general populace in videos and magazines and will then feel the urge to have one themselves.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information