Thread: Smallest V12

Smallest V12

I am aware there has been a thread for the smallest V8 (a 3.8L ford Taurus, I believe) But what is the smallest V12? The first that came to mind to me is the 4.4L Ferrari Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by bk4uyeah
    I am aware there has been a thread for the smallest V8 (a 3.8L ford Taurus, I believe) But what is the smallest V12? The first that came to mind to me is the 4.4L Ferrari Daytona
    Do you mean only in current production ?
    Do bike engines count ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Sorry not to clarify, but current or not, but preferably modern, and not race car or bike.

The 166 Ferrari engine (2 litres) springs to mind (from the late forties, early fifties, which was not designed as a racing engine, but that did not stop people racing with it. Probably there are smaller examples

The first car I thought of was the 63' Ferrari 250 Testarossa, which displaces just under 3 liters. But after careful investigation, I read about an old Maserati, the Tipo S 150 that has V12 displacing only 1.5 liters. Most modern inline 4's displace another half liter over that. Crazy.

I doubt the story about the Maserati, Tipo 150S is a simple four pot, while 200, 250 and 300 version were six cylinders.

Ferrari's first Grand Prix car, the 125 F1, used a 1.5 liter supercharged V12.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Ferrari's first Grand Prix car, the 125 F1, used a 1.5 liter supercharged V12.
    I knew that but the original question specified not to mention racing engines.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I knew that but the original question specified not to mention racing engines.
    oh, my mistake. But now thinking about it, the first production Ferrari, the 125 S, had a 1.5 liter V12 as well (non-supercharged).
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    oh, my mistake. But now thinking about it, the first production Ferrari, the 125 S, had a 1.5 liter V12 as well (non-supercharged).
    true, but it had a very limited production run and changed to the 166 version quite rapidly.

do u guys know what the cheapest v12 car is currently? (for purchase in america)

You could probably get a used late-'80s Jaguar XJS for pretty cheap if you can find one....but you'd have to buy a dog to go with it......so you don't have to walk alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cls12vg30
    You could probably get a used late-'80s Jaguar XJS for pretty cheap if you can find one....but you'd have to buy a dog to go with it......so you don't have to walk alone.
    I saw a 5.3 XJS convertible for £5000 ($9000US). You could probably get cheaper though, as it was in quite good condition.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information