It's a good motorsport news day
Quote Originally Posted by the-paddock.net
Petersen/White Lightning Racing announced that it will campaign a Ferrari F430 GT in the American Le Mans Series for 2007. The two-time GT2 class Series champions have switched from Porsche to Ferrari machinery in pursuit of a third consecutive championship.

The Las Vegas, Nevada-based team will benefit from the highest level of factory support from the Italian manufacturer. The F430 GT will be painted up in the team’s traditional neon yellow, red and white livery. Michelin tires will be equipped on the car which the team expects to take delivery by mid-February.

“We are very excited about the new chapter that is beginning at Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing for the 2007 season and beyond,” Team Owner Michael Petersen said. “To race a Ferrari has been a dream of mine ever since my father brought home his first Ferrari when I was very small. We’ve had great success with Porsche in the past and have made many good friends there and we wish them all the best. But, as things change, as they so often do, we were presented with an opportunity of a new partnership with Ferrari that we could not pass up.”

“This is one of the most exciting days in the history of our team,” Team Manager Dale White said. “Ferrari is synonymous with motorsports throughout the world. To represent the legendary automaker in the American Le Mans Series is a great privilege. Mike and I see this as an opportunity to go from a longtime relationship to a long-term partnership. This move aligns us much more closely with a manufacturer.”

A longtime Porsche competitor, Petersen/White Lightning Racing captured 17 class wins, over 20 podiums and two wins in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with the Porsche 911. It will now be a change to the Italian F430, but the goal remains the same: to win.

“After winning the [GT2] Driver and IMSA Cup titles last year and all three championships in ‘05, we were presented a lot of interesting options,” White said. “We were approached by several manufacturers about entering their cars in GT2, in classes outside of GT2 and even outside the Series. But, we want to race in the most competitive series and in the most competitive class. That’s GT2. To win, you need to have a strong team and a close working partnership with a manufacturer. Ferrari has a strong appreciation of our program, what we have accomplished and what we hope to accomplish. Obviously, we share those same feelings about Ferrari. We are looking forward to working closely with Ferrari as a partner, not as a customer.”

“We were informed mid-way through last season that our drivers would be moved to other teams next year,” White added. “That left us in a difficult spot but with an easy choice once Ferrari laid out their ideas of a working relationship. They outlined what Mike and I have been looking for and the decision was made. It’s what is right for the team.”

“To be able to represent Ferrari in the American Le Mans Series is quite an honor for us,” Petersen added. “We are looking forward to an awesome partnership as it should be one hell of a ride.”

Full details regarding the teams driver lineup and sponsors will be released in the coming weeks.