Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife is brave, and getting well!!!

Brilliant news mate! !!

OMG! I'm totally traumatised! They decided to plug the trachy this morning and hand the breathing totally over to her. She's spent the whole day in a state of panic, gasping for air like a fish out of water and all I could do is sit by helplessly and watch. It's like we've been time-warped back 10 days. No communicating, just eyes closed and fighting for air. Left a bit early tonight, I just couldn't take it any more.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

that sounds incredible, what on earth could have been the medical reason for that?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    that sounds incredible, what on earth could have been the medical reason for that?
    If the body is at a low then it is common that artificial breathing once deployed can then never be removed
    Taking it off as early as possible is very common.
    We had this situation with each of my parents a number of times.
    It *IS* very distressing to sit and feel unabel to help
    ( Doug, PM me as I was taught a way to help them and me in that situation and happy to share with you )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Yesterday was truly the day from hell. necessary I suppose but thank goodness it's over. When I arrived this morning I was surprised to see the bed empty and then stunned to see Terry sitting in a Lazyboy nearby.

Breathing mastered..... check

Trachy removed..... check (Still blowing air when she coughs but they say the hole wll close rapidly over a couple of days.)

Naso-gastric tube removed..... check (She's now eating and drinking by mouth.)

Intravenous line junction box removed..... check (Allows several lines to feed through a single intra-venous needle. Still a few needles and lines left though.)

Talking..... check (Well, still a whisper which loses modulation if she turns up the volume, but vast improvement over lip-reading.

Battle damage healing..... Not yet, some of the bruising is lighter, but still black and blue.

Ready to go a few rounds with a kitten..... Nope, not yet, still very shaky.

A much better day all around!

Bonus: She kicked me out so she could get more sleep, still utterly exhausted from yesterday. So, I went shopping for her birthday present (January 11th). For the last 2 weeks I wasn't sure if I would ever do this again, so I tackled the task with much enthusiasm and a tear in my eye.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Awesome to hear Doug. The light at the end of the tunnel is definitely there, it's just a matter of walking those last few meters.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

This is so uplifting. You two really deserve to get through this!

Just make sure you don't **** up the present, or you ain't ever comin' back

Brilliant news.

I'm sure it will be the best birthday present she will ever receive.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Not much to report today, just slight gains all around. She's not big on hospital food, especially when everthing is pulverised for her, but I managed to convince her that eating is the key to ultimately going home. She's now doing her best to eat her way out of the hospital.

The theme I chose for her birthday-in-hospital, was "comfort". She's sooooo tired of wearing those harsh, scratchy ICU gowns that allow them free access to every part of her body! When they've disconnected more stuff and they will allow it, I've got her the best home-comfort PJ's I could find. The words printed on one of the PJ's, kinda choked me up, they are:

You came into my life unexpectedly
    and everything took a turn for the better.
    Your warm eyes, your laugh,
    the sincere way you speak,
    and the kindness you showed me,
    all became a part of my life.

It used to seem so hard at times
    to feel so close in a relationship.
    But it’s so easy to feel close to you.
    I can’t tell you how good that feels.
    I realise now that I had never known
    what it meant to be loved until I was
    loved by you.

*sniff*

Just doesn't seem enough though, maybe I need some inspiration. If you were in my position, what would you get her to brighten up her life in hospital?
    Doug

I have no idea as to what I'd get my wife were I in your place Doug... That a really hard question.
    The PJ's are a really really good start. I'd make sure that the house will be clean and real damn shiny for when she gets home and that the bedroom will be totally done out in comfy sheets and pillow etc. With gorgeous sustainable plants. Flowers have to go in the trash after a while, but a nice plant brings oxygen into a room...
    Hmmmmmmmm.... I'll have to ask my wife what she thinks.

Edit: The wife says that the clean home, comfy bed, and plants are the way to go. Being there for her like you've been doing these past few weeks means more to her (most likely) than any gift. She also added that if Terry is not sensitive to scents get some nice subtle essential oils and a diffuser and make the house smell pretty.
    Last edited by KonaGreen; 01-06-2007 at 02:34 PM.
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Thanks again, for the umpteenth time I know, for the ongoing support and good wishes. Putting my story out there has really helped me deal with the issues and emotions.

Again, nothing much to report today regarding her condition except the onset of a huge helping of depression. Terry herself doesn't know where it's coming from but many tears were shed today and she wouldn't let me out of her sight. I had to take over some of the nurses duties e.g. give her a washdown so she could feel me closer than just sitting next to the bed and holding her hand.

I start work tomorrow, but will go to the hospital first for moral support while they carry out the doc's instructions to move her out of ICU and into a general ward. I reckon work can wait for me for a bit longer.
    Doug

I was thinking you could renew your vows for her birthday...
    Zag when they Zig

Sounds great she is leaving ICU and heading back to a general ward.

You are right in that work can wait a bit for you.

Will be wonderful when you can post here she is home.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Once again, I'm posting just to say how emotional (and somehow beautiful) this story is, and how happy I am that your nightmare is comming to an end. Remember to congratulate Terry on her birthday on the behalf of UCP. Not only by being her birthday but for her strengh. Same goes to you, of course.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Well, the move to the general ward is complete and Terry's 'sort of' settled in. I was there from 06h00 to midday and it took a few hours for them to pack her up and move her. My daughter filled in the gap while I went to work (and achieved little), and I was back there from 17h00 to 20h00. Moral support was needed in copious quantities as she felt very insecure in her new environment.

Ever tried leaning over a bed and lifting a 50kg adult to move them into a more comfortable position? Not easy! My feet were the anchor but the only fulcrum I had was my shins against the bed's steel frame and reaching out far in front of me, my back took quite a strain. Add to this the fact that she is too weak to help at all (dead weight), and I couldn't use my hands to grab onto anything because of her "balsa wood" frame (osteoporosis) and tissue paper skin. A nurse finally took pity on me after several moves failed to bring the desired comfort and we finished the job together, one each side of the bed the way they normally do it. LOL, it must have been quite funny and all the other patients looked on aghast. Worked up quite a sweat and I'm now pretty sore in plenty of places.

Anyway, I digress. I explained the whole internet forum thread thing to her but I'm not sure she followed everything in her fuzzy state (she doesn't have anythng to do with computers or the internet). However, she was awed by the figures of well over 12 000 viewings and close to 1 000 good wishes from people she doesn't even know. Her words were short and sweet: "Tell them (that's y'all), I say thank you profusely for caring and for wishing me well!"
    Doug

Thread Information