Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife is brave, and getting well!!!

Keep looking after her the way you are and she will continue to improve.

Just be careful not to hurt yourself while doing it and end up in the bed next to her
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    Just be careful not to hurt yourself while doing it and end up in the bed next to her
    Yes please don't.

I'm really happy to hear of her continued improvement. I hope it continues to progress as well as it seems to be.

Heres to tomorrow bringing more positive news.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_Dread
    However, she was awed by the figures of well over 12 000 viewings and close to 1 000 good wishes from people she doesn't even know. Her words were short and sweet: "Tell them (that's y'all), I say thank you profusely for caring and for wishing me well!"
    You're very welcome Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Hi all. Sorry, I've been in a kinda numbed and despondent state of mind and really tired the last few days (got about 2 hours sleep last night, just wouldn't come), and haven't posted. Add to this the fact that most of the sites I posted to are blocked by my company's internet policy, so I can't post when I have the most time, at work.

Trouble is, nothing is happening. Terry has shown almost no signs of improving in the 4 days since leaving ICU.

Over-hydration in ICU has left a large amount of water in her tissue which just won't go away and she still can't move her swollen legs or use her arms much, not even to reach for a glass of water. If I'm not there to feed her, a nurse has to do it. She can't turn over in bed, nurses have to position her in bed and if she wants to move, she has to ring for them. The Physio is trying to get her to stand but her legs barely hold her and she has zero sene of balance. Damage to her fragile skin continues to mount, I get shivers up my spine just looking at the huge areas of blackened skin. The Trachy hole has failed to heal, which didn't really surprise me, immuno-suppressant drugs also suppress healing. May need a surgical procedure to close it. Sorry, just nothing positive to report on her condition and the longer this goes on, the weaker her muscles get from the inactivity.

Nevertheless, I was at the hospital at 06h00 this morning, bearing birthday gifts, which brought a little joy into her day. She couldn't focus on the fancy text on her PJ's and couldn't read the message. She asked me to read it to her and I couldn't either, but for a different reason, I kept choking up. Got though it eventually. I stayed with her through the doctor's rounds and fed her breakfast before going off to work. I bought some rather expensive boxes of chocolates and a Thank You card for the ICU staff on the way back, which were well received and a few dropped by the Ward to wish her well. She loved that.

A whole bunch of family members visited tonight to celebrate her birthday which she enjoyed, but it kinda tired her out. Maybe something noteworthy will happen tomorrow, I hope so or soon I'll be as depressed as she is.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

It's great to see that she is out of ICU and I hope that her condition will start improving again soon.

Just keep hanging in there Doug.

You have shown so far you have the strength and courage to keep by her side at all the toughest times so far, this is another, but in comparison to the troubles she was having in ICU this sounds more like you are suffering from frustration, not despair.

Her recovery will surely continue, despite its annoying slowness at times and she needs you there. As much as it gets annoying, frustrating and depressing your constant battles are what have pulled her through - with a lesser man than you as her husband her outcome may not have been as good or possible.

If I can provide this level of support (hopefully I wont have to) to a future family member then your strength will be an inspiration to me.

Keep it going Doug.

Not a bad day today. She starts out pretty chirpy each day but by nightfall she's wiped out. Condition remains the same, but a couple of tiny improvements I suppose only I would notice. Shared them with her which pleased her.

Bit of a downer, she goes back into theatre tomorrow for the surgeon to try re-close the trachy hole. I tried my best to convince the docs not to install the trachy if humanly possible because she heals really badly, but lost.

This is going to go on for awhile so I couldn't put some work tasks on hold and I have to go out of town for a couple of days. I've asked the family to watch over her but still, it's going to eat me up, this is not something that lends itself to delegation. I tried to joke encouragingly about it, saying I expected her to walk down to the hospital entrance to meet me when I got back, but that made her cry because she's also feeling the pressure from the lack of progress......... oops.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Doug, your life does have to happen at the same time try not to feel too bad.

You may be pleasantly surprised that her progress will be more obvious with a few days away.

I am glad to hear shes out of the ICU, and into the general.

I am sad to hear that shes not improving as steadily as hoped, however, she is out of the ICU, which can only be a good thing.

My best wishes and hopes are still with you and your wife.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I'm baaack. Yikes it was tough being away and sleep was not on my agenda. My company also has a substantial phone bill to pay from the hotel to the hospital and to family members at the hospital.

Especially tough because after the 1/2 hour trachy hole repair operation, that took 2 hours, Terry was wisked straight back to ICU. The doctors say it was a precaution but I don't think they're telling me everything, because it took the ward and my daughters waiting in the ward for her to return, totally by surprise.

Nevertheless, whatever happened, Terry took it in her stride (not that she can stride yet), and when we had our happy re-union today, still in ICU, there was a marked improvement from Monday. She's actually using her arms and hands pretty well now and reached out and took the glass of water from next to the bed and drank, unaided, to show me. She's also feeding herself, although she says this involves much chasing of the food around the plate before getting a hold of it. Watch out kitten, your days are numbered.

Terry has a new Physio lady and has much faith in her. The 1st Physio guy may have quit which may have had something to do with my getting in his face, I don't know. Day after day of lifting her out of bed and telling her to stand, and when she couldn't, putting her back in bed and saying "never mind, we'll try again tomorrow", got up my nose. Maybe he was expecting something miraculous to happen overnight, without him having to do his job and exercise her legs. Anyway, the new lady's been giving Terry's legs a good workout and she stood alone today (holding on to something of course), for a full 30 second count. May not sound like much but that's pretty excellent progress.

Over and above this, her face is now very 'normal' and not the face of a sick patient anymore, her voice is stronger and the fogginess in her eyes is gone.

Painful as it was, the break lifted both our spirits. Allowing me to see a step-change in her condition and her to proudly demonstrate it. Hard to see because it's still so far away, but I think someone just switched on the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Doug

Sounds like she is on the right track, and I am gald to hear that. I wish you and Terry the best. I hope the recovery continues well.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Thank God and Amen.
    Just keep your spirit up, and keep being there for her Doug. Pretty soon she'll be home!!!!!!!!!!
    UCP's BSG Nerd and a resident Freerider.
    flickr page:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaru72/

Best news I've had in a long time. I'm very happy!
    Tell her she needs to get control of her hands to come here and say "I, I'm Terry and I'm strong enough to kick your asses." Just this.
    Keep us informed and send our best wishes to her.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

No change other than being moved out of ICU and back to a general ward today. For someone with zero mobility, she sure gets around.
    Doug

"Round round get around, I get around..."

This is inspiring. Reading this makes you realise that anything is possible. Best of luck to you and Terry, Doug!

Thread Information