View Poll Results: Vote for the car you think is best:

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa Romeo 8C Competitone

35 50.72%
  • Porsche 997 / 997 GT3 / 911 (997) GT3

34 49.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCP 2006 COTY: Knock-out 1st & 2nd.

I r the crazy butcher -------------------------------------------------------- Feilding, New Zealand

UCP 2006 COTY: Knock-out 1st & 2nd.

This poll will be open for 3 days only. This is to keep things moving so a list can be made asap.

You can vote for:
    -Alfa Romeo 8C Competitone
    -Porsche 997 / 997 GT3 / 911 (997) GT3

Have fun!

Note: Also vote in the knock-out for:

6th & 7th: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=30428
    9th & 10th: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=30429
    Last edited by Timeh; 12-27-2006 at 01:04 AM.
    I'm afraid this is a signature, a very pathetic one.

Voted for Porsche 997 dunno why (expect its my favorite Porsche at the mo') and the 8C doesn't really Knock it for me...
    .................................................................................:¦Back Again¦:.................................................................................

I also voted for the Porsche. Why? Well there's the small fact that THE ALFA HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET!!! So, how can it be "Car of the Year" if no-one's driven it and we dont have any insight into how it drives? It could be a disappointment just like the Brera (hopefully not, I'm longing for a proper Alfa!) In any case, seeing as it'll go on sale in 2007, it'll get the chance to compete for "UCPCOTY" next year.

Meanwhile the Porsche 997 GT3 only lost Evo's COTY to the Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano and is widely regarded as a fantastic machine. My next-door neighbour has a 997 S (not the 4) and (despite it being in my opinion a nasty colour - Atlas Grey) it still looks, sounds and feels (I've not been in their own car but I've been in an identical courtesy car they had when theirs was damaged) beautiful and awesome. It's too bad they abuse it then.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

alfa, cause i don't like porsche much, i just wish they would do somthing excting
    http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/carworldforum/index.php?mforum=carworldforum
    looking for members and mods

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    I also voted for the Porsche. Why? Well there's the small fact that THE ALFA HASN'T BEEN RELEASED YET!!! So, how can it be "Car of the Year" if no-one's driven it and we dont have any insight into how it drives? It could be a disappointment just like the Brera (hopefully not, I'm longing for a proper Alfa!) In any case, seeing as it'll go on sale in 2007, it'll get the chance to compete for "UCPCOTY" next year.

Meanwhile the Porsche 997 GT3 only lost Evo's COTY to the Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano and is widely regarded as a fantastic machine. My next-door neighbour has a 997 S (not the 4) and (despite it being in my opinion a nasty colour - Atlas Grey) it still looks, sounds and feels (I've not been in their own car but I've been in an identical courtesy car they had when theirs was damaged) beautiful and awesome. It's too bad they abuse it then.
    Sometimes outright performance and figures just aren't enough. And I doubt the Alfa is going to disappoint. It's a bit like the Maserati Quattroporte, objectively there might be better choices in its segment (Mercedes S-class for instance), but the Maserati defines what we like about cars, it's not cold and clinical like the Merc. And the same more or less could be said about the Porsche v Alfa Romeo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Sometimes outright performance and figures just aren't enough.
    I don't understand that comment; I didn't mention figures anywhere in my post...

Unless of course you were just generally saying "performance and figures just aren't enough", with which I agree. My point was that although the Competizione looks gorgeous, it needs to drive divinely (by that I mean handle properly) as well to eclipse the 997. IMO the 997 looks magnificent as well but in a different way. It is more clinical but no less beautiful than the 8C. It just looks well proportioned and complete. I do, after all, get the chance to stare at one every day.

And I doubt the Alfa is going to disappoint. It's a bit like the Maserati Quattroporte, objectively there might be better choices in its segment (Mercedes S-class for instance), but the Maserati defines what we like about cars, it's not cold and clinical like the Merc. And the same more or less could be said about the Porsche v Alfa Romeo.
    I doubt it's going to disappoint, Alfa is relying on this, but doubt is simply not enough in this company. We need a definitive knowledge. You know what handling is, you drive a new Mini, and we've had, as far as I know, completely positive impressions from much more experienced and knowledgeable people than ourselves about the 997.

I would choose the Quattroporte over pretty much anything in the class you mention, but the Quattroporte is not a disappointment. It just has one flaw. IMO the Mercedes isn't THAT nice inside. Or outside. I see what you're trying to say though - It's about passion.

The Porsche may be more clinical than the 8C but it's not completely devoid of emotion. There's a rich character there tracing its way right back to the very configuration of the car. That's what makes a 911. What I'm trying to say is that the Lustly looks of the Alfa just wont suffice if it doesn't live up to expectations. There are other beautiful AND talented cars around. That's why I want a TVR Tuscan S.

IMO the Alfa is very good looking, but because it's a production concept car basically, it makes it that much harder to own and service. On the other hand, 911's are way more common and that makes it that much easier to buy.

Clivey, if the Alfa handles so badly that it tries to kill you eveytime you go round a corner then of course it would be significantly flawed. As you pointed out I like to drive (and partly that's why I drive a Mini) and I do acknowledge that the 911 is a very fine car. However I think you have understood the point of my post. The Porsche 911 might be the better car, but the Alfa proves my point. I want plenty of both, but I prefer passion over engineering.
    Visca Catalunya!

Clivey, if the Alfa handles so badly that it tries to kill you eveytime you go round a corner then of course it would be significantly flawed. As you pointed out I like to drive (and partly that's why I drive a Mini) and I do acknowledge that the 911 is a very fine car. However I think you have understood the point of my post. The Porsche 911 might be the better car, but the Alfa proves my point. I want plenty of both, but I prefer passion over engineering.
    i am right with you brother. i would be willing to forgive a defecit of performance if it had more soul. that was one reason i hated the GTI (commence the flaming) because it felt passionless. The mini lets you know that its alive, and has a personality of its own. Also why I like the Alfa. A Fiat Punto has more soul and emotion than a porsche.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    i am right with you brother. i would be willing to forgive a defecit of performance if it had more soul. that was one reason i hated the GTI (commence the flaming) because it felt passionless. The mini lets you know that its alive, and has a personality of its own. Also why I like the Alfa. A Fiat Punto has more soul and emotion than a porsche.
    Don't need to go outside Mini. I haven't driven the Mk II, but I feel that the transition from the Mk I to the Mk II has been too german, and most of the articles I have read about the new one seem to confirm that feeling.
    Visca Catalunya!

Hey! You've already decided the Porsche is the "better" car lol! Give the Alfa a chance!

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I'm just saying that for me at least, the Alfa does have to be at a comparable talent level to the 997. I find the Porsche to have passion, just of a different sort and you just have to know where to look.

We'll see what happens when the Competizione is released. I can't wait for a proper Alfa. Are there any interior piccies anywhere? I want an impression of how it'll feel.

*Mimes holding a steering wheel and makes engine noises*

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Are there any interior piccies anywhere? I want an impression of how it'll feel.

*Mimes holding a steering wheel and makes engine noises*
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...6&postcount=37
    Imagine if it came with that optional extra...
    Visca Catalunya!

The mimes and noises are now altogether different...I sure hope my girlfriend doesn't read this

Who's the biggest fool:
    The guy who included a yet to be driven/heard/priced/produced concept car as one of the choices for car of the year, or the 31 fools who voted for the Alfa Romeo 8C. Well, 31 is a big number, so I vote for them.

Timeh, while you're at it, you should add the P 4/5, Skyline GTR, and 2009 Mustang to the mix. Since release date isn't a concern, drop the McLaren F1 in there too for a throw-back crowd pleaser.

I have this cool car drawing on my nightstand that impressed me. I'd imagine it has a V12. I'd like to see that.

You do know that adding a concept to the mix of your botched Car of the Year voting immediately makes this contest a joke. I hope the Alfa Romeo 8C wins and one of the main fools post the "winner" on the main page so newcomers to the forum will be informed that the majority of the active members....are fools.

At least 31 fools......and 1 GOD.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...6&postcount=37
    Got any 'interior' piccies of that?

Thread Information