Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've had it with this Vaio.

I've had it with this Vaio.

I'm in the market over the next 2-3 months to buy a new computer. And this time I want to build it on my own. That way I know what's in it, I can change stuff if/when I get the urge, and I won't have to worry about not being able to take apart Sony's stupid power supply cages anymore.

I'm doing this for a few reasons. I want a new computer. I need something that can play current gen games. And the one we have is 4-5 years old and is just slow. The main game I'm looking to play is Rainbow Six: Vegas. It's got some pretty stout specs, so I'm going to need something beefy.

All total, I'm looking to spend under a grand US on the tower. Keep in mind I work at a Best Buy and get a pretty decent discount on parts, and we sell everything except motherboards and processors (in-store, anyway. We sell processors and mobo's on the site, but choices are limited.). There's also computer shows in the area pretty frequently and I could get something there cheap (most of it is sold by shady Asian guys).

So far I've decided I want a 512mb PCI-E video card, 5.1 sound, and 2gb of RAM. Everything else I'm pretty open to suggestion on. The main things I need help picking are a motherboard and processor, since I know almost nothing about either.

I've been looking at the video cards we stock at work, and I like this one. Is there something that would be a better buy? For sound I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this.

Other than that, I'm very open to suggestions and want your help. Cookies to those with helpful input.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

What Vaio is yours, is it a laptop?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

We've got a PCV-RX770 and a PCV-RX440. The one I use is the 770.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

AMD X2s are your best bet at the moment. 4200 X2 to be precise. If you can go higher in price range, go for the newer Intel Core Duos .. Intel currently hold that sector of the market, while AMD are better for cheaper CPUs.

I'm not so up to scratch on gamings GPUs .. the only time I use them is for when I'm game testing, but usually the hardware is hidden in a devbox. I use industry-spec Quadros.

Core Duos I think are better for laptops...but you have a desktop so AMD X2s will definatly be better

Commodore 64 FTW.

I strongly suggest a dual core processor. Intel Core 2 beats AMD X2 in every way, so I suggest you go with Intel. But if you want something cheap and good for gaming, AMD Athlon X2 is the way to go since their processors are cheap and works very well. Motherboards are also cheaper for AMD.

If you're going for Intel, I recommend the Core 2 Duo E6600. It costs 320$ and is a phenomenal overclocker with 4MB of shared L2 cache which boost the performance a lot. If you're going for AMD, then any X2 will do it. Their price range is from 145$ to 309$. I usually buy the cheapest processor of a series and overclock it. Only thing I look for is the size of the cache because it contribute a lot to the overall performance of the computer. All AMDs got 1MB of L2 cache while Intel got from 2 to 4MB.

Also you should buy DDR2 SDRAM memory. 2GB will be better if you go Dual Channel, i.e. 2 x 1GB stick.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 12-27-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    We've got a PCV-RX770 and a PCV-RX440. The one I use is the 770.
    Oh right, I know someone with one of them.

I'm using this woerd Systemax pc thingy and our Vaio VGN-FS515H the screens on these Vaios are brilliant!

Motion & Emotion

I suggest waiting a while to get an nVidia 8800 series card or get at least a 7800. Just steer clear of the ATI cards...it's for your own good.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Just DON'T buy that Radeon X1600.

It may have 512MB of physical memory but it's so slow you'd be better of with a fast 256MB card, like a Geforce 7600GT.

A Radeon X1950Pro would be nice too, if you can stretch for it.

AMD X2. Better performance to dollar wise I'd say. Regardless though, settle for no less than dual cores.

Then get yourself dual Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX cards. That should only run you maybe $1,500 or so.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

My computer has an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card

The Vaio laptop has Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

I have no idea what this all means but it's what they came with and they seem pretty good to me

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall
    My computer has an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card

The Vaio laptop has Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

I have no idea what this all means but it's what they came with and they seem pretty good to me
    Both are terrible... NVIDIA just released the 8800 GTX which is a GeForce 8... you have a GeForce 2... and on-board graphics are terrible too. But well if you don't play games that's alright I guess, no need to have über graphic cards to display Windows GUI!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    [Image]
    Commodore 64 FTW.
    liar- HOLDEN commodore ftw
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 12-27-2006 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26
    Both are terrible... NVIDIA just released the 8800 GTX which is a GeForce 8... you have a GeForce 2... and on-board graphics are terrible too. But well if you don't play games that's alright I guess, no need to have über graphic cards to display Windows GUI!
    Oh right, well the computer with NVIDIA is from 2001/2002

I only really play Sims 2 on here and NFS: Porsche Unleashed which is from 2000 but with an XPHOME upgrade and some memory upgrades, this ones got NVIDIA RIVA TNT2.

I mainly use my XBox for gaming, soon an XBox 360...
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 12-27-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information