Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Camera recommendations?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,682

    Camera recommendations?

    I'm looking for a new camera.

    Point and shoot.
    400$ max but 300$ and under would be better.
    Fits in pocket.
    Can take video with sound.

    I'm going to be using this mainly for car photography. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    We just got an Olympus mju-720 SW, it's very nice. It's the waterproof/shockproof one, has a nice big LCD, 3x optical zoom, very pocket sized.. Dunno what that'd cost you in 'Here.' but it could be worth a look.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,682
    Well I don't really need underwater and don't plan on dropping it () so right now I'm leaning towards this:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/casioz850/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    6,536
    Sure, you don't need it.. but say that next time you're at a damp car show and it slips out of your hands into a puddle! Just a nice thing to have handy.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,827
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Sure, you don't need it.. but say that next time you're at a damp car show and it slips out of your hands into a puddle! Just a nice thing to have handy.
    or find yourself at a show in major storms. I was lucky i brought a big plastic bag and ducktape to cover mine up

    The olympus-range is pretty nice in total. Not a bad choice, i'd say

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nr Edinburgh, Whisky-soaked Scotland
    Posts
    27,778
    Got Samsung L850 from H&B NY
    8mp, 5x zoom, 640x480x30 video. Perfect for my needs 90% of time with fully manual modes for the other 10%
    Only drawback is it's a little slow on shutter, so going to be interesting once the racing season gets underway.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Got Samsung L850 from H&B NY
    8mp, 5x zoom, 640x480x30 video. Perfect for my needs 90% of time with fully manual modes for the other 10%
    Only drawback is it's a little slow on shutter, so going to be interesting once the racing season gets underway.
    Link? My google search is turning up camcorders.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Deerfield Beach, Florida
    Posts
    5,802
    I just bought a Canon SD900 (10 mega pixels - $500 camera), and got it for $350 brand new

    Absolutely fantastic, I don't think there's anything better in its category. I took 200 pics in new years and 100% of them came out perfect.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,682
    Well I have a Canon Powershot SD800 IS (went for the image stabilization over the extra 3 megapixels for the SD900) downstairs, unopened. I'm making one final check online to see if there's anything better, but that is probably what I'm going with.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    239
    I'd look at and of the Canon SD's that fit your budget. You just can't go wrong with the Powershot.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,452
    I purchased a Fuji E900 a few months ago, I got it for $500, but I'm sure you could find a new one now in the high $300's range.

    Great camera, 9 mega pixels and a great handgrip. It also supports video.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Beginner's Camera
    By Boomer4ES in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
  2. My new digital camera (probably)
    By jorismo in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 01:01 PM
  3. Some photos taken by my new camera
    By Spastik_Roach in forum Multimedia
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
  4. My Camera went into the water!!
    By Niko_Fx in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 06:25 PM
  5. Need help buying a digital camera!!
    By Pinin in forum Multimedia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 04:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •