Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    Now that is a reason why those settings were required. Am I right in assuming that you had to use the flash in full manual? You might have inadvertently set it at an inferior strength. It might be good to just play around with this flash, practicing strengths, distances and speeds etc. just to get a feel of it.
    The settings of say strength and distance are not able to be set automatically, I dont think they had this technology in the 80's yet . It only fires automatically, from my camera's hotshoe. But I guess that is the way to learn it and i shoot full manual 7/10 times anyway so it ain't a problem at all. As usual I will learn myself these skills again, the new job will certainly help me a lot. There will be a lot of night shots and stuff, so.. I have a SLR for just a few months now, I learn a lot with every image. I am still very very far from reaching the limits of my camera, like with the old Fuji..

PS:

wasnt there a special thread for those kind of discussions ? Thnk we need to move there if we want to continue.
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-20-2008 at 03:32 AM.

Can anybody explain how in the Picture of the Day (24-09), the front part of the BMW is lightened up, but the shades in front of the car clearly indicate that it is not exposed to direct sunshine?
    Was there a powerful flash used? Was there a searchlight along the road?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Can anybody explain how in the Picture of the Day (24-09), the front part of the BMW is lightened up, but the shades in front of the car clearly indicate that it is not exposed to direct sunshine?
    Was there a powerful flash used? Was there a searchlight along the road?
    A wizard did it.

Maybe your favorite program, Photoshop, was used. They cpuld have taken it in a studio a put the background in or they could have just highlighted certain areas. Or some sort of mobile light rig, like you suggested, driving around just outside of the shot.
    Last edited by f6fhellcat13; 09-24-2008 at 12:34 AM.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    A wizard did it.
    a very constructive contribution....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Maybe your favorite program, Photoshop, was used. They cpuld have taken it in a studio a put the background in or they could have just highlighted certain areas. Or some sort of mobile light rig, like you suggested, driving around just outside of the shot.
    I would agree with you on the light rig, but that would also take away the shadow in front of the car. (And yes, I know about photoshop, but I was wondering if such a photo could also be done with real photography) As this is not a competition entry I am hoping for a constructive discussion.

The photo is almost certainly studio and location shoots combined. Take the photo of the car in a studio setup, go to a location and setup a shot from the same angle but without the lighting - with a gigantic rig in this case - and then combine the two images in photoshop. Lighting like that can be achieved on location (massive soft boxes/diffusers) but it's quite difficult without a very large and proper setup.

a very constructive contribution....
    Coming form you?

Mr. Constructive himself...

This photo is edited!

I shall banish myself from further competition!

I would agree with you on the light rig, but that would also take away the shadow in front of the car. (And yes, I know about photoshop, but I was wondering if such a photo could also be done with real photography) As this is not a competition entry I am hoping for a constructive discussion.
    Real photography is so quaint and dated in theis modern world.
    Almost every picture that is published by the media or a PR firm seems to be adjusted or tweaked a little these days. Photoshop is becoming a fact of modern life.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Coming form you?

Mr. Constructive himself...

This photo is edited!

I shall banish myself from further competition!
    did you ever participate in any competition? Do you ever take pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Real photography is so quaint and dated in theis modern world.
    Almost every picture that is published by the media or a PR firm seems to be adjusted or tweaked a little these days. Photoshop is becoming a fact of modern life.
    the operative words are "a little". How far do you go.
    But at least we all agree that this particular picture is not something that can be achieved by mere mortals like us.

did you ever participate in any competition? Do you ever take pictures?
    No, I don't take pictures and I have several reasons.

First off, I am not particularity talented, and don't enjoy it much. Secondly, there's already tons of people these days that fashion themselves photographers and plenty of good pictures out there and I don't really want to take more. Thirdly, I prefer to enjoy the event I am at as opposed to take pictures of it - this especially applies to cars where I see people take pictures at races instead of watching them - or take pictures at car shows when there are perfectly fine and better looking press shots and the like.

Finally, I think that any art competition is kinda silly as taste is completely subjective and even were I a photographer I would not enter my photos in these competitions.

All of this completely sidesteps the point of my initial wizard comment which was meant to be a stupid funny comment - the sort of thing that gives a forum like this character and life as opposed to being serious discussion all the time.

And you also sidestepped my point of your lack of constructive discussion in these forums as you persist(ed) in beating the dead horse of modified photos.

But I digress - a wizard didn't do it, a warlock did.

And you also sidestepped my point of your lack of constructive discussion in these forums as you persist(ed) in beating the dead horse of modified photos.
    I was not beating, I was asking how.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    The photo is almost certainly studio and location shoots combined. Take the photo of the car in a studio setup, go to a location and setup a shot from the same angle but without the lighting - with a gigantic rig in this case - and then combine the two images in photoshop. Lighting like that can be achieved on location (massive soft boxes/diffusers) but it's quite difficult without a very large and proper setup.
    Does this imply that the actual car was never at the shown location at all?

Does this imply that the actual car was never at the shown location at all?
    I think it does.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information