Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Basically, as I understand it, different lights give off different colors, and in order to take the picture as you see it, the sensor in your camera has to choose which light to record, by using preset color temperature settings, known as white balance. It's called white balance, because in different lights, the best way to get all the colors right is to make sure that something you see as white comes out white int he picture.

That' probably a crappy description, but hopefully it helps somewhat.
    thanks.good attempt anyway i will mess around a bit with it in a lunchbreak or something

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Really though, low light focus is a very weak point of SLR-style cameras. The noise, also a weak-point. The pasty skin just looks like your WB was off.
    The DSC-R1 is on these two points pretty satisfactory.

out of interest, those of you who own semi-pro DSLRs. What bag do you use to carry it from place to place? I'm looking to buy one for my D80. Maybe this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    The DSC-R1 is on these two points pretty satisfactory.
    The R1 is also the price of a base SLR. And i thought it was a fixed lens SLR?

Lowepro Microtrekker 200, Rik.

I personnaly have got a Lowepro bag and I'm totally happy with it, it's some damn good manufacture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    can you post an example? i would recomend not using auto ISO, set it how you want. ISO affects the sensor's sensitivity to light. 100 is not very sensitive, thus pictures will need longer shutter speeds and wider apertures, and 1600 is very sensitive, meaning you can use faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures. the downside is higher ISO creates more grain. IMO, however, its better to get a grainy but properly exposed image than an underexposed image that will show up grainier when you try and rescue it in photoshop.
    i was going to say what you said, shoot on a higher ISO i shoot at 800 ISO most of the time at night to expose pics better and not get as much flare out of lights in the photo

oh yeah and what wouter said, get a DSLR... i use a Canon 350D which is now superseded with the 400D but mine still does a great job...

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    I personnaly have got a Lowepro bag and I'm totally happy with it, it's some damn good manufacture quality.
    Yeah like this can fit 2 SLR's and 3 lenses, which is what i've got in it. It's got full velcro siding on the inside so you can make custom sized pockets, and tons of perfect sized pockets. It's awesome!

LowePro Nova 4 AW suits me very well.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Nova 4 works well for me too.

It can feel a little big at times, making me think the Nova 3 would have been big enough.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    out of interest, those of you who own semi-pro DSLRs. What bag do you use to carry it from place to place? I'm looking to buy one for my D80. Maybe this one:
    I had been using a Tamrac backpack for a few years, and only upgraded to the next size up because i'm using 4+ lenses including a 200mm, and want to carry my laptop in the same pack too. I'm therefore selling my old bag, shown below. It's in near perfect condition, mostly because Tamrac makes some serious quality bags. I would ask $75 USD (shipping extra) if you're interested.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

Quote Originally Posted by shockwaveracing
    oh yeah and what wouter said, get a DSLR... i use a Canon 350D which is now superseded with the 400D but mine still does a great job...
    I can just afford me some beers in the weekend. I have saved 100€ together in 6 months now. You can guess I am a pretty poor student right now. There is nothing i want more (except a car) right now But with my financial prospects it is impossible...I'll be stuck to this fuji for long time i think...

About the bags, i use a simple Fuji bag. Nothing special really. I got it for free with my camera after some talking It does the job fine, though I prefer to carry the stuff in my laptop bag.
    Last edited by drakkie; 12-30-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik

If you buy a bag with Nikon emblazoned along the front, try not to feel too hard done by when it gets snatched.

I use a lowepro mini trekker classic. It's about £60, but there's room for 2 bodies and probably 4 or 5 lenses. There's quite a lot of room in the pockets on the front, too.

yeah, i was looking at the lowepro range, at the moment the lowepro Nova AW 1 looks most suited to me, however if i went for the one you showed me, i would be able to fit my pentax slr in there too with its 3 lenses, aswell as my d80. And you're right, a nikon bag would sell me to the thieves

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    lowepro mini trekker classic.
    Thats the one I have, so either looking on B&H for the name of mine I looked at the wrong name, or it has a different name in the UK. Either way that's what I've got and I love it.

Thread Information