Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Make This Thread Sticky Please

I can change the name of the sub forum from Photo competitions to Photography.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I think thats a good idea. I would like to have a good place to share some more of my photography (i dont shoot automobiles much) but Multimedia ought to be for car photos.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    yeah that would be much better IMO

and like i said, in order to prevent this thread from getting lost it would be best made sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    and like i said, in order to prevent this thread from getting lost it would be best made sticky.
    why??
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

I seem to recall suggesting a photography subforum just shy of two years ago.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=12432

its funny reading stuff i said two years ago and do not remember at all. its like a different person. but i was down for it then and im still down now. i guess your just ahead of the curve vtec.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

why??
    because there's hundreds of competitions in this section of the forum, if this thread is to be successfull it would be smart to make it sticky in order to stay at the top of the forum, so it doesnt get replaced by the latest comp thread. Just so it can be a constant. Just like the 'submit a potd' thread etc. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    Basically, as I understand it, different lights give off different colors, and in order to take the picture as you see it, the sensor in your camera has to choose which light to record, by using preset color temperature settings, known as white balance. It's called white balance, because in different lights, the best way to get all the colors right is to make sure that something you see as white comes out white int he picture.

That' probably a crappy description, but hopefully it helps somewhat.
    You got it pretty much right. Light sources don't output the entire spectrum equally. A flouro light is blueish, tungsten light kind've orangeish and so on. White balance is determined via the kelvin scale, based black body radiation. The idea is, when a black body (a theoretical object, not something black) is outputting no radiation, it's black. As it gets hotter, the colour changes. The lower the degrees Kelvin, the blue and as you move up the scale, it gets redder, as with the electromagnetic scale.

So basically, when you set your white balance, you set it to take these things into consideration, and make the colour in the photo match what it is. However, you can use it to create interesting/desired colour effects. This can change the mood of a photo. Like if you wanted a happy mood of a portrait, you would set a white balance higher up the kelvin scale to make it a warmer colour. Filters and gels can correct WB (gels are referred to CT, or colour temperature gels)

If you're camera has a Manual WB setting, use it. If you can, get a proper photography gray card (18% mid gray is what we use in TV Prod. at uni, don't know what is used in photography but it should be the same) or even just a piece of clean white paper. The camera will take whatever colour it is as white and shift how it records colour accordingly. Again, this is another way of experimenting with WB, by using different colour cards.

BTW, I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker. I've got one SLR with 28-70 2.8 attached, plus a 70-300 Macro, 18-55, 50 1.7, and flashgun in it, and there's a shitload more room left.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    because there's hundreds of competitions in this section of the forum, if this thread is to be successfull it would be smart to make it sticky in order to stay at the top of the forum, so it doesnt get replaced by the latest comp thread. Just so it can be a constant. Just like the 'submit a potd' thread etc. Just a suggestion.
    What makes this thread special? I think there could many more threads about photography subjects.

(Ted Joans)

Thread seems to be going pretty good so far. As long as you keep something to talk about, keep having people who need questions answered perhaps, this thread could go for as long...as a piece of string.
    All about the t-tops

What makes this thread special? I think there could many more threads about photography subjects.
    Well yes but then the entire photography section would be a messy mix of threads and competitions and would be hard to navigate. As you said, if there were a sub-forum made for either photography related threads or the competitions themselves then it would be much tidier. Either way would make sense.

You can subscribe to the thread if you fear losing it in the jungle.

(Ted Joans)

Just wanted to share this pano I made, first one that I got to come out have decent, although there was supposed to be more to the left. It's the view from the 2nd tee at Crescent Head Country Club
    Attached Images Attached Images

What focal length did you use? I heard you're supposed to use at least 28mm which will prevent the kind of sloping of the horizon there, I assume. Other than the sloping it looks really nice, what program did you use?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Thread Information