Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photography Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    But you always like your own pictures, right ?
    No. .......
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Lately I've been in a bit of a pano mood with my shooting so here's my latest 3. Click on the links then click the "All Sizes" button to get higher res.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uc_mitc...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uc_mitc...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uc_mitc...n/photostream/

All shot using Pentax *ist DS w/ Dicain SG-1 in portrait orientation, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 EX DF. Shot in RAW, converted with RSE, stitched with AutoStitch
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Oh and only very minor Levels corrections on all of them. That's what Canberra's sky looks like.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Here is my first experiment with the shutter speed. I don't know much about photography but I quite like this. Your feedback please!
    I took this picture with a Samsung D103.
    this is what it says on information
    ISO: 80
    Av: F 2.8
    Tv: 4seconds (shutter i think)
    Flash: on
    3648x2736 ( i have resized to 800x600)
    19/02/07

I took this down Town Street, Newton when I was with my mate Rob (the subject)
    Feedback on how to improve please!
    (thanks to Cotterik for helping)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tuk3410 View Post
    Here is my first experiment with the shutter speed. I don't know much about photography but I quite like this. Your feedback please!
    I took this picture with a Samsung D103.
    this is what it says on information
    ISO: 80
    Av: F 2.8
    Tv: 4seconds (shutter i think)
    Flash: on
    3648x2736 ( i have resized to 800x600)
    19/02/07

I took this down Town Street, Newton when I was with my mate Rob (the subject)
    Feedback on how to improve please!
    (thanks to Cotterik for helping)
    slow shutter speed requires tripod, or a comparable item, such as trash can, small pole, rock, border.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi View Post
    slow shutter speed requires tripod, or a comparable item, such as trash can, small pole, rock, border.
    oh ok, i suppose thats why mine is a bit blurry. A tripod would mean that exactly the same thing is photographed! I get ya
    I have seen pictures taken over about 30 seconds shutter speed of car lights at night and stuff and they look great. mine only does 8 seconds though. any tips on how to get these sort of shots?
    Thanks

oh ok, i suppose thats why mine is a bit blurry. A tripod would mean that exactly the same thing is photographed! I get ya
    I have seen pictures taken over about 30 seconds shutter speed of car lights at night and stuff and they look great. mine only does 8 seconds though. any tips on how to get these sort of shots?
    Thanks
    Not much you can do if the slowest shutter speed you can get is 8 seconds. Unless you have a mirror lock-up/B setting on your camera. If you wanna get some light trails with an 8 second speed, do it on a busy stretch of road but single out a small part of it, by using a long-ish focal length for example. That way they won't be cut off in the middle of nowhere. Unless you want them to be

And also remove that date stamp from your photos.
    My other signature has a V12

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    Not much you can do if the slowest shutter speed you can get is 8 seconds. Unless you have a mirror lock-up/B setting on your camera. If you wanna get some light trails with an 8 second speed, do it on a busy stretch of road but single out a small part of it, by using a long-ish focal length for example. That way they won't be cut off in the middle of nowhere. Unless you want them to be

And also remove that date stamp from your photos.
    Oh ok, cheers for the help. There is a small light trail on my photo but am not sure what its from.
    (why remove date stamp?)

Oh ok, cheers for the help. There is a small light trail on my photo but am not sure what its from.
    And obviously use a tripod, or a wall or a coke can or something.
    Keep the date stamp if you want, but I don't like them personally

Thanks
    Big apperture value (when the hole that light goes thru is the smallest) and low ISO give you slowest shutter speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinin View Post
    And obviously use a tripod, or a wall or a coke can or something.
    Keep the date stamp if you want, but I don't like them personally
    Ok, one fore thing, when using a slow shutter speed does the speed between the pictures taken change when its a sloweer shutter speed. EG when using a 4 second shutter speed doesn it take a pic every 1 second or does it continually take the image? i was thinking of trying a slow shutter spped of a car pulling out of a junction and seeing it slowly disappear. would this work ok and would it look any good??

A picture I took when I was experimenting with macro mode on my D103.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, one fore thing, when using a slow shutter speed does the speed between the pictures taken change when its a sloweer shutter speed. EG when using a 4 second shutter speed doesn it take a pic every 1 second or does it continually take the image? i was thinking of trying a slow shutter spped of a car pulling out of a junction and seeing it slowly disappear. would this work ok and would it look any good??
    In your example, the shutter is open for four seconds. It takes one picture in that space of time. If you did what you said, assuming it was dark you'd just see the trails from the lights, and if that's the effect you're looking for the best idea is to drive the car past the camera at a constant speed. You wouldn't see the car itself at all, unless it was somehow lit up (and you still probably wouldn't, unless it stopped for a few second), and then you'd only see a faint ghost of the car. Just try stuff out and see what you get

Remember the picture I entered in last week's photography competition ? I went back there today and tried to apply some of the comments,tips and critiques. See the outcome below, IMO much better !

I took a bit higher ISO and a little longer shutter time. I found a small pillar with a warning light and machinery inside of it. The camera was placed perfectly there. Previous one was taken while moving on the escalator. This one resembles the real-life situation much better.

It was a real pity I could not take more pictures in the city, the weather was really bad which made any outside shots impossible

Something a bit different, I found out my school/University has 4(!) fully equipped photo studio's in another department. The guy that pointed me to it, said i should have acces to them too ! I have no experience at all with studio shots, so any tips would be welcome. I will likely try and go there with a girl in a week or two !

Yet another thing, I will be teaching the very basics of photographing to some students ! I signed up for a course, but me and the bloke mentioned above are so much further than the rest (they didnt even know where to find manual mode on their P&S camera's) that the teacher divided us into three groups. We will go and walk through the city in groups of 3-5 students and our job will basically be to spot nice angles and give some tips. We will get paid for our hours AND still get our ects's for it. We will maybe even be equipped with full Eos-300d camera's owned by school for it. Seems like a good way to get some experience with these.

I hope I will be able to do some industry-by-night shooting in the weekend, it is one of the things I have wanted to do for years, but couldnt because I had no transportation.

Anyways, happy shooting and take care guys !
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-08-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Something a bit different, I found out my school/University has 4(!) fully equipped photo studio's in another department. The guy that pointed me to it, said i should have acces to them too ! I have no experience at all with studio shots, so any tips would be welcome.
    No real trick to shooting in a studio compared to shooting out in the wild world, in fact it's easier because you have full control over pretty much everything. Just familiarise yourself with the controls of lights. The best thing you can do is experiment with different angles of the lights, lighting filters and hoods and see what you get.
    – Hunter Thompson

Thread Information