26 28.57%
  • Porsche Cayman S

19 20.88%
  • TVR Sagaris

46 50.55%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: BMW Z4M Coupe / Porsche Cayman S / TVR Sagaris

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    The S4 and RS4 don't have the same engine. The RS4 engine is rather extensively upgraded version of the 4.2 Audi V8. The extra performance comes from the extra power, the wider rear track, better suspension, stiffer chassis, manual box, rear biased quattro and so on.
    All correct, but the S4 can also be had with a manual gearbox (I bet it's exactly the same, except maybe for different gear ratios). And regarding the engines they are certianly not the same, but they are related.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    All correct, but the S4 can also be had with a manual gearbox (I bet it's exactly the same, except maybe for different gear ratios). And regarding the engines they are certianly not the same, but they are related.
    Do you mean Auto' gearbox? The RS4 only has a Manual.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

All correct, but the S4 can also be had with a manual gearbox (I bet it's exactly the same, except maybe for different gear ratios).
    You sure about that? I thought Audi ditched the manual option on the current model S4. Maybe that's just here.

TVR cause its a lunatics car compared to the 2 others and its wayy faster
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    You sure about that? I thought Audi ditched the manual option on the current model S4. Maybe that's just here.
    Well at least here the Audi S4 in any of the bodystyles comes as standard with a 6-speed manual gearbox. The 6-speed automatic is an optional extra. Maybe in countries that favour automatics the Tiptronic is standard.
    Visca Catalunya!

all about the beemer

+1, the brit underdog captures the hearts once again!
    autozine.org

so what engine is it? the audi 90 degree engine modular design/production line serves the V10,V8, and V6 in various forms.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    so what engine is it? the audi 90 degree engine modular design/production line serves the V10,V8, and V6 in various forms.
    They are both 4163cc normally aspirated 90º V8 engines. The S4 has 5-valve engine without direct fuel injection and a lower compresion ratio. And the RS4 has a 4-valve engine with direct fuel injection and a higher compresion ratio. The difference is about 80bhp and 20Nm.
    Visca Catalunya!

They are both 4163cc normally aspirated 90º V8 engines. The S4 has 5-valve engine without direct fuel injection and a lower compresion ratio. And the RS4 has a 4-valve engine with direct fuel injection and a higher compresion ratio. The difference is about 80bhp and 20Nm.
    s4 engine:
    "The big V8 barely fits into the engine bay. In fact, engineers had to redesign its peripheral gear chains to make it short enough. As usual, Audi constructed it entirely in aluminum alloy, except the intake manifolds, which are even lighter magnesium alloy. At 195kg, it is no heavier than the old twin-turbo V6. This engine has 5 valve per cylinder, 2-stage variable intake manifolds and a variable valve timing at the intake side. Compare with A8’s, its tuning biases towards power rather than torque. Lightened pistons and con-rods allow it to spin to 7200rpm, outstanding for a long-stroke engine. At 7,000rpm, it pumps out the maximum 344 horsepower - exactly one horsepower more than M3, is it just a coincidence?"

rs4 engine:
    "The 4163 cc V8 is derived from the S4. In the latter state of tune it already produces 1 more horsepower than BMW M3. For transplanting into RS4, a surgery replaced all pistons, con-rods and crankshaft with lighter, stronger and lower friction ones to enable a sky-high 8250 rpm redline. Enlarged exhaust system reduces back pressure to the combustion chambers. New cylinder heads switched from 5 to 4 valves per cylinder, then added FSI direct injection. Inject fuel spray directly into the combustion chambers help cooling the latter, thus allows a higher compression ratio at 12.5:1. (For your reference, BMW M3 is 11.5:1) This improves thermal efficiency significantly and contributes to a specific output of 100 horsepower per litre ! at 7800 rpm, the fast-spinning V8 produces 420 horsepower, enough to keep it save from the next generation BMW M3 (expect to be in the region of 400-410 hp from its 4-litre V8). This engine is also very torquey, with a total of 317 lbft at 5500 rpm and at least 90% of which from 2250-7600 rpm. Compare with it, the current M3's straight-6 is far more peaky, while delivering 77 fewer horses and 48 fewer pound-foot. "

The diference is in lightened components and FSI. Most engines in this line up have same bore & stroke, even lambo V10.
    autozine.org

The Z4 M Coupe doesn't do anything for me because BMW totes it as "the world's most advanced 6 cylinder engine" but if I'm not mistaken, it is the current M3 engine just transplanted.

I love the Cayman, its looks, its performance, everything pretty much, but it certainly pales in comparison to the Sagaris which is just a gorgeous beast! My vote goes to the TVR.

Wankers drive BMWs, yuppies drive baby porsche (no matter how wonderful the boxster is, it isn't butch, not even slightly), and lunatics drive TVRs. loud as a jet powered fog horn, made of old canoes and bailing twine, smell like Mr. Clean and Arm and Hammer, but fast as free burgers at a texas truck stop. Sign me up for one, just as soon as I raise the money.....

Crikey, the Porsche v TVR debate is alive and well.

My vote maybe a little biased but umm TVR, Porsche BMW.

TVR cos...well...yes
    Porsche, I also have access to a Boxster and its OK..does what its mean to do with no fuss.

BMW - only ones I would have are the E30M3 or the new M5.

Am I allowed to stay..? LOL

Claire

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    BMW - only ones I would have are the E30M3 or the new M5.
    Wow..so critical to BMW's... Don't you even like an M6? That's a car I'd really want to have in my garage.

Not really, one of my closest friends is the test driver for Lotus and does testing for a lot of other car companies, he drove the M6 and said it was OK but it wasnt worth the money.

Never having been near an M6 I can only go off his professional opinion. I have been in the older M3 and loved it and also been driven (not drove unfortunately) the new M5.

And here was me thinking I was going to get pulled up about the Porsche/TVR bit LOL

Claire

Thread Information