Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé 2007-2017

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé 2007-2017

Rolls-Royce launches Phantom Drophead Coupé at Detroit

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars will unveil its new Phantom Drophead Coupé at the Detroit Motor Show on Sunday 7 January. Production of the new car will start at Goodwood in the summer of 2007.

The two-door, four-seat convertible is a less formal interpretation of classic Rolls-Royce design. Using the lightweight rigidity of an all-aluminium spaceframe, it marries modern technology to a sleek, streamlined convertible body.

Its exterior lines echo the timeless styling of the great Rolls-Royce cars: a long bonnet, large-diameter wheels, short front and long rear overhangs and the quintessential dynamic line descending along its flanks. Inside, the design emphasises the airy openness of top-down motoring, embracing the elements and creating a stunning, social environment.

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Chief Designer, Ian Cameron, said, “This car gave us the chance to think about the very nature of convertible motoring and in particular what it means to Rolls-Royce. Above all we were determined to make this car a joy to live with and engineered it to give years of effortless service to its owner.”

A number of features first seen on 100EX, the experimental convertible shown by Rolls-Royce in 2004, have been engineered into the new Phantom Drophead Coupé. Two of the most visually striking of these are the brushed steel bonnet and A-pillar and the teak decking for the rear hood cover. The brushed steel is machine finished to give a uniform grain before undergoing extensive hand polishing to achieve a perfect sheen. At the rear, the teak decking is treated with a carefully blended mix of oils to preserve a natural finish and a long lasting lustre that is as beautiful as it is hardy.

Front opening coach doors have been homologated for the new car and add considerably to the ease of access to the rear seat, as well as to the overall aesthetics. Unique to Rolls-Royce, the doors dramatically transform the Phantom Drophead Coupé’s looks, giving a side profile reminiscent of classic sports cars of the ’60s. Crucially, they also aid the overall stiffness of the body as the rear hinged doors allow for an uninterrupted A-pillar.

Luggage is housed within a picnic boot, a split tail compartment that opens in two parts giving easy access to the 315 litres of space. The lower tailgate provides a comfortable seating platform for two adults when lowered. Careful engineering of the folding soft-top roof means that it stows in a relatively small space resulting in a luggage compartment that remains unaffected regardless of whether the roof is up or down.

The fabric hood is the largest of any modern convertible car and its acoustic insulation is exemplary. Five layers of material ensure that the cabin remains a serene space, even at speed. Lined with cashmere it has been tailored to stow in a relatively small space.

At the core of the Phantom Drophead Coupé is an advanced aluminium chassis, perhaps the single most significant component in delivering the marque’s legendary refinement. Lightweight and exceptionally strong, it impacts positively on ride comfort, handling and safety. Hand made, it requires over 140 metres of welding in each chassis. Power is supplied by the same 6.75 litre naturally aspirated V12 engine found in the Phantom saloon, giving brisk performance and a 0-60mph time of 5.7 seconds.

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Chairman and Chief Executive, Ian Robertson, said, “The Phantom Drophead Coupé marks the next chapter in our history. While the saloon continues as the brand flagship, the Drophead leads us in a more informal direction, attracting new buyers to the marque. In the coming years other new models will strengthen the company still further.”

The Phantom Drophead Coupé has been carefully crafted to be aesthetically pleasing, yet practical too. Wood, leather, chrome and brushed steel have been used where most appropriate. Form and function have equal billing. The simplicity of the design belies a car built to provide years of effortless service. It will offer owners an unparalleled convertible experience, combining compelling driveability with exceptional engineering, technology and design – hand crafted from the finest materials to an exceptional level of quality.

-ends-

Notes to Editors:

1. The Phantom Drophead Coupé uses 1300 new parts over those developed for the Phantom.
    2. The Phantom Drophead Coupé is the first such car to be offered by Rolls-Royce since 2002, the last being the Corniche.
    3. The Phantom Drophead Coupé will be hand built alongside the Phantom at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars’ manufacturing plant at Goodwood on the South Coast of England.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #2

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #3

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #4

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #5

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #6

Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé #7

disappointingly similar to the EX101 concept, which I consider to be the most vulgar RR ever produced.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

As much as I love Bentley, I think this thing makes the Azure look practically like an econobox. This is so unique and interesting. The shape and the details reminds me of an old Voisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    As much as I love Bentley, I think this thing makes the Azure look practically like an econobox. This is so unique and interesting. The shape and the details reminds me of an old Voisin.
    strange association
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Unique, perhaps...

but very ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Unique, perhaps...

but very ugly...
    Ugly

It's just beautiful, can't see what's bad about this or the 101EX
    I'm in Love

i think its stunning.. the suicide doors are a bit showy, but why else woudl you drive this car other than to be showy. i love it.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I think it's great. I like how they still have the button inside to swing the door shut, like the rear doors in the Phantom.

i smell some chops coming on...

Thread Information