Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to drive an NSX-R

How to drive an NSX-R

Screw power, take a look at what 280hp can give you when utilized the right way.

(Take a look at minute 5:30 in the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1ZWvw5GjM

7:56 at Nurburgring !!

Here's the whole collection of 6 vids if anybody wants to watch them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChWFtidZtYA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1ZWvw5GjM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRmLHBtu4A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn6wtSLkidU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZO6GLz1v7Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtGqIwpJ8oU

About that 280bhp: That's the [B]rated[B] horsepower for and NSX-R. That's just because of an old agreement between Japanese auto makers to limit power in their ads. A few super-coupes from Japan, such as the GTR almost certainly come from the factory with over 300bhp. Honda say they left the engine alone when they made the type-R but I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't at least fiddle with the computer a little. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to have transformed the whole car so why not optimise the top end?

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell
    About that 280bhp: That's the [B]rated[B] horsepower for and NSX-R. That's just because of an old agreement between Japanese auto makers to limit power in their ads. A few super-coupes from Japan, such as the GTR almost certainly come from the factory with over 300bhp. Honda say they left the engine alone when they made the type-R but I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't at least fiddle with the computer a little. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to have transformed the whole car so why not optimise the top end?
    Don't know if they did, but the car is absolutely perfect as it walks out of the factory. Top end will be optimized in the upcoming model, and the thought of a front-engined NSX carrying a V8-V10 makes me wanna puke.

Actually, if Honda does it right, I really don't mind. Any sports car will do (with a decent amount of power, plenty of handling handling and great reliability of course). They never said that they planned a true NSX sucessor anyway.

A V6 engine should be good.
    the number of cylinders doesn't really matter that much on how much power is produced though. For example a four cylinder engine can make 300hp like the one in the STi or the porsche 948 turbo

I have allways likes the NSX. A very nice and quick car for not a rediculious amount of money. Also good handling. Plus 300hp out of a Honda naturally aspirated engine is fairly good. I think so atleast
    Ucp's #1 Toyota Supra fanatic......still.

2006 Scion tC..
    Forced Induction - Props to Dezod Motorsports & PTuning

Quote Originally Posted by 092326001
    A V6 engine should be good.
    the number of cylinders doesn't really matter that much on how much power is produced though. For example a four cylinder engine can make 300hp like the one in the STi or the porsche 948 turbo
    I assume you mean the Porsche 944 Turbo. And the most that made was 250bhp in the S version.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

The car is just so well balanced, but I as a power junky would like to see some more power but not too much.

It was a good run, 17 years. Power was upped, just not enough IMO. In a similar production run, the Porsche 928 went from less than 240 HP to almost 350. The 911s powered up even more drastically. Civics Si went from having 130 HP to 200 (other than the '91 Si-R which had 160 HP), still.

HSC would have been the easy and smart fix. Beef up the existing chassis and a V8.

They've decided on the FR layout with a mostly steel body as it'll suit the Autobacs racing series, which makes sense. The only travesty is to call this new car a NSX replacement.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    It was a good run, 17 years. Power was upped, just not enough IMO. In a similar production run, the Porsche 928 went from less than 240 HP to almost 350. The 911s powered up even more drastically. Civics Si went from having 130 HP to 200 (other than the '91 Si-R which had 160 HP), still.
    They were limited by the gentlemen's agreement, so in my opinion there's not much point in crticising the lack power. And for the record, the original 1977 Porsche 928 had exactly 240bhp.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    They were limited by the gentlemen's agreement, so in my opinion there's not much point in crticising the lack power. And for the record, the original 1977 Porsche 928 had exactly 240bhp.
    The gentlemen's agreement applied even to cars being exported, stupid question, of course it did...

The 928 was introduced with 240 HP except the US version had 219 HP. Helping the validity of my point even more, as in a 15+ year production run the 928 topped out at 345 HP, almost a 130 HP gain.

That's the main issue with Honda's image, they're kinda like "the weaklings that could..." Which is sad because they, of all Japanese companies, have the most race history.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    The gentlemen's agreement applied even to cars being exported, stupid question, of course it did...

The 928 was introduced with 240 HP except the US version had 219 HP. Helping the validity of my point even more, as in a 15+ year production run the 928 topped out at 345 HP, almost a 130 HP gain.

That's the main issue with Honda's image, they're kinda like "the weaklings that could..." Which is sad because they, of all Japanese companies, have the most race history.
    In fact the Porsche 928 had a 18 year run (1977-1995) almost like the Honda NSX. In my opinion it was a very compelling sportscar, just had the wrong badge and the wrong price tag. However it helped Ferrari be what it is today in terms of quality, which is good.
    Visca Catalunya!

If anyone's wondering, 7:56 is the same lap time as the Ferrari 360 Modena.

The NSX is supposed to be like fine wine- nice and balanced. and it's not supposed to be a muscle car.
    Last edited by kingofthering; 01-02-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMan22
    I have allways likes the NSX. A very nice and quick car for not a rediculious amount of money. Also good handling. Plus 300hp out of a Honda naturally aspirated engine is fairly good. I think so atleast
    I like the NSX too but I think it was slightly overpriced. 90K is a bit much. I know it was a great piece of engineering, but no one buys cars for the engineering. They buy it for the speed. There are other cars at 90K that offer more speed. Maybe not better handling, but you get my point right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    I like the NSX too but I think it was slightly overpriced. 90K is a bit much. I know it was a great piece of engineering, but no one buys cars for the engineering. They buy it for the speed. There are other cars at 90K that offer more speed. Maybe not better handling, but you get my point right?
    I think it was about 115k € here, so it even made less sense economically...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information