Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Corona is dead..

The Corona is dead..

Having owned it for well over a year, and not one single problem with it, with regular checkups and what not, this came as a suprise.

I decided to take a break and go up to Lancelain with mates, its about a two hour drive. Having never driven the car for this long in one trip, I took upon the liberty of flushing oil out, new coolant, etc etc. Just making sure everything was ok and ready to go.

All was well during the trip. However, 20kms from the main Lancelain town, temperature started shooted up and the speed gradually decreased. I stopped onto the side of the road, popped the hood and obvious things happened, steam, me being pissed off and a bad case of "I hate my f*(_*@#g car" syndrome. This was a suprise, total suprise at that. A generous person came stopped by and gave me a tow into town (suprisingly, there was quite a large rock on the road. I turned and missed it, but as I was straightening the car, the snatch strap slacked and wound around the axle, subsequently snapping it!!).

It's either a blown head gasket, buggered pipes or water pump or perhaps a number of those things. To be honest, I am not the most learned of people about the going ons under the hood.

Anyway, it seems like a new engine and a conversion. I like the car, it has a great paint job, its clean and (was) reliable. I'm thinking of a 1G-GTE. Im also aware of the other changes needed to happen. I'm leaning towards making it a sleeper, with around 5-6K to get the job done.

Saying that, cheers for reading this (if you have) its just helped me deal with it, she was a good car, absaloutely fine until this trip.

I hope you all had a great new year and wish you all the best for the coming year.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

If you do need a new donk go the sleeper forsure mate.

But a good tip, Find some guys who you know that know cars, Get them too feed you as much info so that no mechanics you go too toss you around.

For your $5-6K you can get an early 90s Corolla GT or Celica. Perhaps that'd be a better way to go?
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

You gotta go with what you like, if you have 5-6K to blow you'll have a car you love, but msn's advice is on the money, you will lose more cash this way that the other. Still, if you keep it to the 5-6K and run the car for about 4-5 years, that'd probably make things about even.

Mate, both motorsportnerd and pimento have given sound advice, and I'll add this: Don't throw good money after bad. If you like the car, and it is sound i.e. no rust; get the motor repaired or exchanged. With the balance saved on your 5-6k maybe put it towards the car you really want, but don't chuck a wad of cash at a car that must be the best part of 25 years old
    "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear; but you can make a mighty fast pig." Carroll Shelby

Motorsport; the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

The scream of Vtec

my favourite beer too

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    my favourite beer too
    Join the boat

Cheers for the advice guys, Ill have a few days or weeks to decide and do alot of research as to what I exactly want to do.

Slick: Why is it there are so many people having troubles with thier cars this time of year At least yours is on its way, hahaha i've locked mine in the garage and given it the cold shoulder for a while.

Has anyone had any experience with the Toyo 4's? Ill be heading over to the Toyomods forums for a tinker around there. See some of the possible pathways are in terms of budget, efficiency, power, and sanity

- The line for the PS3

3SGTE would be cool.

expensive and a waste of money... but cool nevertheless
    The Datto will rage again...

BlueSupra originaly posted
    3SGTE would be cool.

expensive and a waste of money... but cool nevertheless
    What Blue Supra said, if you like he Toyo's get something like a Celica GT4 or a late model Aristo with the 2j. You may love the car but pouring money into a 3s engine conversion will definetley break your heart. Also only the later version Beams and Ser 4 are set up for RWD, with the fwd/awd 3sgte it needs a RWD conversion and usally some form of aftermarket ECU as the dizzy will foul the firewall and the only option is crank angle sensor for your ignition trigger. Then there's the trans,diff, brakes....... It turns into an expensive exersize

Heres a link to all things toyo
    clicky

Cheers
    John
    Last edited by charged; 01-03-2007 at 01:33 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    Slick: Why is it there are so many people having troubles with thier cars this time of year At least yours is on its way, hahaha i've locked mine in the garage and given it the cold shoulder for a while.
    I think it's the silly season, The pressure of Xmas and the heat it's probley the worst time of the year when you least can afford too have a problem, Going away and all it's a pain it kills your time off when all you want too do is relaxe, I think someone waits till your ready too go away and then hits you with a bad luck stick.
    I had a Just after Xmas problem last year loosing the Transmission around this time actually so i'm hiding also.

Quote Originally Posted by charged
    What Blue Supra said, if you like he Toyo's get something like a Celica GT4 or a late model Aristo with the 2j. You may love the car but pouring money into a 3s engine conversion will definetley break your heart. Also only the later version Beams and Ser 4 are set up for RWD, with the fwd/awd 3sgte it needs a RWD conversion and usally some form of aftermarket ECU as the dizzy will foul the firewall and the only option is crank angle sensor for your ignition trigger. Then there's the trans,diff, brakes....... It turns into an expensive exersize

Heres a link to all things toyo
    clicky

Cheers
    John
    Hence why the IGGTE conversion is much more appealing. Along with a W58 supra gearbox, LSD and other fiddly's im hoping it to be a small sleeper

- The line for the PS3

What about my new found friend ----->
    Some day it will sit under my bonnet and be herd blocks away

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    What about my new found friend ----->
    Some day it will sit under my bonnet and be herd blocks away

..I hate you so much that I'd stop watching Cher just to chase you down the street...

- The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    ..I hate you so much that I'd stop watching Cher just to chase you down the street...
    hahahahaha.. I don't have it yet but i'm working on it, Got too grab all the info first in whats needed, But for you it might be so easy too get one fitted and very cheap being a Toyota already.... That one in the pic is on the trading post for $395.
    There is a SC12 and SC14 superchargers, They work on smaller capacity and larger capcity motors. So there perfect for both of us.
    I know a few Commodore drivers that have made them famous. One guy has it intercooled on his VS 9psi pretty stock engine and has done a best of 12.9 done the strip.. Another one has a VP looks stock all round but runs 10psi stock motor but intercooled, He has a 5 speed manual, He has done 3 boxes First time done the 1/4 he blew 3rd gear and rolled it home done a 14sec flat pass from that. It was on a fast one. There getting very popular now and wine like a bitch too so the whole world knows your coming.
    But what ever engine you get stick one of these little buggers on BOV it and if your running low boost no need for the intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    hahahahaha.. I don't have it yet but i'm working on it, Got too grab all the info first in whats needed, But for you it might be so easy too get one fitted and very cheap being a Toyota already.... That one in the pic is on the trading post for $395.
    There is a SC12 and SC14 superchargers, They work on smaller capacity and larger capcity motors. So there perfect for both of us.
    I know a few Commodore drivers that have made them famous. One guy has it intercooled on his VS 9psi pretty stock engine and has done a best of 12.9 done the strip.. Another one has a VP looks stock all round but runs 10psi stock motor but intercooled, He has a 5 speed manual, He has done 3 boxes First time done the 1/4 he blew 3rd gear and rolled it home done a 14sec flat pass from that. It was on a fast one. There getting very popular now and wine like a bitch too so the whole world knows your coming.
    But what ever engine you get stick one of these little buggers on BOV it and if your running low boost no need for the intercooler.
    Oh fo sho! Ive been researching engine packages, and thus far, cheapest is $1300 for the engine and 5 speed manual gearbox, inclduing loom, wiring etc :P

You're car would be pretty knarly with that kit fitted on

- The line for the PS3

Thread Information