Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water powered Peugeot!

Water powered Peugeot!

anyone seen this before...pretty damn impressive lol!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...57002ca632.htm
    Troy:

i would like to see more on how that works. but yes that is very impressive

a tweaked steam engine?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Close. More likely a steam motor. It's one of those little differences - the whole motor vs. engine thing.

Anyway, I'd reckon this is a steam rocket. I guess Peugeot's use of a steam rocket is alright, sort of, but here in America, we like to use our steam rockets to launch Evel Knievel (almost) completely over the Snake River Canyon.

In principal, they work just like a busted pressure cooker. Water is heated under pressure. Under pressure, the boiling temperature of water can be much higher, meaning a great deal of potential energy is bottled up. When the pressure is released, the water flash-boils and expands greatly, releasing the stored energy as thrust in much the same way as burning rocket fuel.
    I'm erudite ;-)

The oil companies are gonna blow up the prototype and kill the inventor...it's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Close. More likely a steam motor. It's one of those little differences - the whole motor vs. engine thing.

Anyway, I'd reckon this is a steam rocket. I guess Peugeot's use of a steam rocket is alright, sort of, but here in America, we like to use our steam rockets to launch Evel Knievel (almost) completely over the Snake River Canyon.

In principal, they work just like a busted pressure cooker. Water is heated under pressure. Under pressure, the boiling temperature of water can be much higher, meaning a great deal of potential energy is bottled up. When the pressure is released, the water flash-boils and expands greatly, releasing the stored energy as thrust in much the same way as burning rocket fuel.
    Shouldn't it also scald most of the crowd if that happened?

I think it's more of a high pressure water gun shooting out the rear of that Peugot.

I would have thought the large surface area of steam would allow it to cool quickly.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

There is an experimental 6 stroke engine that need no radiator. Regular 4 stroke and then water is injected into hot cylinder/turns to steam pushes down piston for extra power and cools cylinder.

Best

With the rapid cooling of the very hot metal surfaces by spraying water all over them isn't there a chances of the metal in the engine cracking violently?

Quote Originally Posted by Napolis
    There is an experimental 6 stroke engine that need no radiator. Regular 4 stroke and then water is injected into hot cylinder/turns to steam pushes down piston for extra power and cools cylinder.

Best
    sounds like a movie script....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Those mythical 1,500 hp Skylines (and their ilk) generally use some sort of water-injection to deal with the cylinder temperatures caused by huge-turbo boost.

I've never heard of water being used to convert heat energy into torque in the way Napolis describes though. That's brilliant, in theory. Hopefully we'll see it in practice someday.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    Those mythical 1,500 hp Skylines (and their ilk) generally use some sort of water-injection to deal with the cylinder temperatures caused by huge-turbo boost.

I've never heard of water being used to convert heat energy into torque in the way Napolis describes though. That's brilliant, in theory. Hopefully we'll see it in practice someday.
    I've also heard of experimental engines using some cylinders to compress air as opposed to turbo's. I just heard that Audi will be running a TDI BioDiesel at Le Mans. It's a brave new world.

Best

having used steam engines in recent history, temp changes in the steel can be extremely dangerous when it happens rapidly. not just the cracking that is possible, but the thermal expansion and contraction could cause some leak by in the cylinders and warping.

now if we used the ceramic engine that egg nog talked about in our UCP supercar back 3 years ago, then it could probably work.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Napolis
    I've also heard of experimental engines using some cylinders to compress air as opposed to turbo's. I just heard that Audi will be running a TDI BioDiesel at Le Mans. It's a brave new world.

Best
    Jim, I could update you there. Peugeot ran a french series with the RC Diesel engined concept cars, fueled by bio diesel already a couple of years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Jim, I could update you there. Peugeot ran a french series with the RC Diesel engined concept cars, fueled by bio diesel already a couple of years ago...
    I saw their new Le Mans Coupe in Paris and it's pretty cool.

Thread Information