Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project car

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    it was still a 2.5. i think they re-did the heads or something, im not 100% sure. the redline is a bit lower than the i, but as you stated, more torque. and i could be mistaken but if i remember right, its like 2 more hp. 117 to 119, or something silly like that.
    All 2.5L had a lot more bhp than that, even the 318iS had more than that. Can yo ufind a link to the car/engine you are thinking of?
    Quote Originally Posted by nota
    I've noticed dead-engined examples come up for sale every so often, for very cheap.
    Duly noted, thanks. It seems an engine swap into a host body might be the cost effective route, 325i E30's are still going for $10K+
    Quote Originally Posted by knuto
    A friend of mine have built an 320i with an 745 turbo engine (picture).
    Oh. Dear. Lord.
    I've seen a few 545i and I had thought about finding a bigarsed 745i (Li?) but then I regained sanity and opted to stay away from an aging turbo motor at my state of finance.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoot hoot
    In Practical Performance Car magazine (performance tuning for grown ups) one of the contributers to the magazine has dropped a 3.5 our of a 5-series into an E30 318 AND turbo'd it for around £1000, not including the origional car I assume. It looked a bit of a bodged job tbh but if it works who cares?
    I have one of those 5ers, but the huge iron block engine weighs a ton. The E30 is pretty lightweight so I won't be needing a huge amount of power to make it fun
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 01-03-2007 at 02:32 AM.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

What is the purpose of your build? Just a fun car to drive around?, a sleeper? and AutoX car?, a track day car? Will you try to build it yourself?

Many questions unresolved for us to be of use, I think...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    What is the purpose of your build? Just a fun car to drive around?, a sleeper? and AutoX car?, a track day car? Will you try to build it yourself?

Excuse my ignorance but what is an AutoX car?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    A car set up for autocross, which is a timed run on a course setup within a carpark with cones. Due to it being very curvy, it's not uncommon for small light cars to post faster times than exotics, or musle cars. Miatas are favourites, while turbo engines are worthless.

Some links:
    AutoX FAQ: http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/faq/
    Basics of AutoX: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

p.s I'd think you knew about this since AutoX Bonne though...
    Last edited by magracer; 01-03-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

p.s I'd think you knew about this since AutoX Bonne though...
    thanks, but that was a tread I totally ignored.....and I would not say that turbo engines are useless here....you must remember how Gilles Villeneuve once kept the total field at bay in his 126CK truck jsut by keeping the turbo spinning even during cornering.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

from the description given I know now what it is. I have witnessed one in 2004....

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ort+Kazakhstan

From the OP mate:
    I only want the car for a fun, reliable mode of transport and of course for the fun of working on it.
    I'm switching to auto engineering so I want to be working on a lot of it myself, but I will have help of course. It's not going to be some HiPo machine or heavily stressed.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Ok, new developments have meant a change of plans for the project.

1) I'm getting out of AWB while the getting is good, dumping shares = another $10k towards shiny pretty stuff.
    2) I no longer believe I can retain any sort of dignity in a BMW. Sorry to all bimmer owners but thats how it is...too many $%&#@ing body kitted 318i 's and I'm not mature enough to ignore them.
    3) Discovered the value that is mid 90's Saab 9000's and it is undeniable. Huge depreciation, excellent trim levels (in CSE spec) and tasty 200bhp 2.3L turbo engines.
    I can even begin to admire their unique looks .

So now it's just a matter of waiting for a good one to show up for sale.
    Anyone have experience with Saabs they'd like to relate?

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    3) Discovered the value that is mid 90's Saab 9000's and it is undeniable. Huge depreciation, excellent trim levels (in CSE spec) and tasty 200bhp 2.3L turbo engines.
    I can even begin to admire their unique looks .

So now it's just a matter of waiting for a good one to show up for sale.
    Anyone have experience with Saabs they'd like to relate?
    Cyco is your friend. A few of us have had the pleasure (Pleasure? Hmm maybe not) of a ride in his 900 (IIRC) turbo.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    Ok, new developments have meant a change of plans for the project.

1) I'm getting out of AWB while the getting is good, dumping shares = another $10k towards shiny pretty stuff.
    2) I no longer believe I can retain any sort of dignity in a BMW.
    @ #2

Merely posted as an aternative example of RWD euro goodness. Not cheap or recommended but interesting nevertheless

It's been fully rebuilt and has a lot of mods

http://www.mbspares.com.au/default.asp?d=256148&p=17854
    http://www.mbspares.com.au/default.asp?d=18023&p=18013

Thread Information