Thread: Bmw M3 E46

Bmw M3 E46

Hi all,
    a BMW M3 E46 with 100'000 km can have problems ?? ...don't know...maybe with SMG II ....

I want to buy it ( 100'000 km ) ....can I have many problems ????

it should be fine with 100,000 on the clock as long as it has full service history etc etc...i personally would avoid the SMG gearbox and instead get a manual becuase the SMG is too jerky in normal driving which apparently gets annoying according to a mate who just sold his in order to get the manual version...
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

The important thing for me, is that a M3 with many Km hasn't problems ... becouse it with many km is expansive again !

An M3 will be expensive to maintain anyway...

all cars can have problems mate, get it checked out by professionals. AA is your friend

I know the M3 is expansive to maintain but this isn't the problem ! The problem is : If I pay many money for a M3 with 100'000 km ...i think that this car hasn't problems ! can I be sure that the M3 hasn't problems with 100'000km ????

No you can't. You can never be "sure" that a car will have no problems after 100k KM. We never keep our cars for more than 100k.

Just be sure that there is a maintenance booklet with the car that tells you all about the maintenance history of the car so you can see if it's been maintained correctly. If possible, let a friend who's a mechanic look at it (or someone who knows more about mechanics than you do). Take a test drive... That's all you can do.

Whats the selling price?

you should definitely have the engine and gearbox checked. i once read on bimmer mag that the 8,000 rpm redline blew the engine (m roadsters had a lower, 7600rpm redline so thet didnt blow) so its probably worth checkingout
    www.myspace.com/kasaky

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    No you can't. You can never be "sure" that a car will have no problems after 100k KM. We never keep our cars for more than 100k.

Just be sure that there is a maintenance booklet with the car that tells you all about the maintenance history of the car so you can see if it's been maintained correctly. If possible, let a friend who's a mechanic look at it (or someone who knows more about mechanics than you do). Take a test drive... That's all you can do.
    What you dont keep your cars for more then 100k? Jeez we have GMC truck with almost 340k (kilometers) and it works fine. I dont think you will have to many problems with it but the 8000 RPM blowing the engine worries me at least. Some 3 series cars are also have radiator problems which you also might want to have checked. Last BMW we owned till 225k and had no problems except with the radiator one time (although it was not an M car).

Mainly because A) the warranty runs out, B) all sorts of issues start to appear (yes, even with our BMWs and Mercedes'..) C) we just want a new car
    Most people in my family are known not to keep a car for more than 2 years, it's a family disease.

The thing is my parents, drive A LOT, my dad does +100k a year which is a lot. The cars suffer.

I don't drive as much tough maybe 30k/year and my Clio will probably have to last to 200k because I have absolutely no money to replace it.

On top of that we have willing export markets in the new members of the EU and countries even more to the East.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    On top of that we have willing export markets in the new members of the EU and countries even more to the East.....
    hehe i know something about it

anyway my dad drives more than 100 k kilometres every year and we are changing the car every 1,5 - 2 years... but it's a really really extreme rarity over here... many cars on the streets have like 10 years or more, but it's still improving
    12 cylinders or walk!

Early E46 M3s had of problems with oil surge (resulting in blown engines). I think there was a recall but don't quote me on that.

SMG boxes should be fine unless you are getting an E36 M3 with SMG I.

Thread Information