View Poll Results: Which option do you prefer?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lancia Fulvia

38 92.68%
  • Something else (SUV, CC, big saloon,...)

3 7.32%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancia Fulvia, yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Yes, the world needs more beautiful things.

now compare this with an original and look at the division between glass and metal. From the the modern one you might think that average people have become much smaller, as they apparently need a much lower glass house....however we all know that statistically even Italians are growing taller, so why the hell do they have to change a perfectly balanced model like the original into something where the glasshouse looks like an afterthought...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I think Fulvia is the best option, from the ones presented, simply because is't the one more closely related to Lancia history. it is also a good design. And we must not forget that it was good designs (156, 147) that saved Alfa, by that time in a very similar situation. Only latin spirit can save latin brands...

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant
    Only latin spirit can save latin brands...
    And some good old-fashioned engineering

all in all, I'd rather resources be spent on Alfa
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    now compare this with an original and look at the division between glass and metal. From the the modern one you might think that average people have become much smaller, as they apparently need a much lower glass house....however we all know that statistically even Italians are growing taller, so why the hell do they have to change a perfectly balanced model like the original into something where the glasshouse looks like an afterthought...
    It's funny you shoul mention it, I always though the original was a bit disproportioned regarding the glasshouse, as it looked to tall despite the original car being actually lower than the modern concept, by about 3cm IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Also, by 'hipotetical' I guess you mean hypothetical?
    Yes I did mean that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstad
    People here may like it, but not buy it. Then it'll be totally pointless to produce it. Yeah.... it's nice, beauty. Citroen C4 3door please, it handles well?MX-5 please. Oh it has great Italian spirit! Alfa 147/149 please.

The greatness of Lancias in the 60s had more or less been filled up by many many other contenders. To me, Lancias should be kept in musuems and forever be remembered for their greatness, rather than resurrected and live a pityfull life. Michael Jordan again anyone?
    I think you don't understand Lancia at all. This not only is beautiful but full of substance too. It's an inherent part of Lancia stands, elegant and beautiful but sporty and agile too. If you think that a Citroen C4 or an Alfa Romeo 147 could cover the spot for the Fulvia you're totally missing the point. And just because we have one sportscar (the MX-5 you mention) does it meant we have to be limited to this one and no one can ever produce another?

Lancia needs this car in order to begin its revival. You can see it a bit like Lancia's 8C, only it would be significantly cheaper and they could actually make a profit on it. If Lancia's are enthusiast-appealing, they might as well disappear completely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volvoman
    It looks right. But to be honest I am more of a big car person. Give me a 4WD or a big sedan anyday. Plus this would never be sold in Australia anyway, considering we haven't had Lancias here for goodness knows how long.
    Don't be so sure, Lancias are going RHD again starting, probably, next year with the HPE.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    The Granturismo Stilnovo wasn't a supercar. It was a 3-door C-segment hatchback. An hipotetical Delta substitute.
    k anyway i meant something more radical, not only stylish but rapid and risky
    12 cylinders or walk!

I'm quite sure the Fulvia will be a flop. If they wanna revive something that reminds people of their success, they better go Stratos and Delta.

Delta is definitely suited for the current hot hatch market, and Stratos represents Lancia much better than Fulvia, and it simply sound cooler.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    I'm quite sure the Fulvia will be a flop. If they wanna revive something that reminds people of their success, they better go Stratos and Delta.

Delta is definitely suited for the current hot hatch market, and Stratos represents Lancia much better than Fulvia, and it simply sound cooler.
    1. The Fulvia is a simple a relatively cheap car to make, and met general praise when the concept was unveiled. If you see the poll, the vast majority of people voted for it and the success of the Mini shows that a well developped and marketed small sporty car can sell

2. Lancia has good sales in the small car market and can definitely sell a 15-25k € as opposed to over 40k €. Basically the Ypsilon has saved Lancia, while the Thesis nearly kills it (and the Fulvia is a small, cheap-ish car)

3. Reviving the Delta HF Integrale would be stupid (this is not the image Fiat wants for Lancia), unfeasible (no suitable mechanical components available, no budget to speak of) and impossible (new regulations would mean the new car wouldn't be nowhere near the original in terms of rawness)

4. Reviving the Stratos is not possible, quite simply because Fiat (and therefore Lancia) doesn't own the rights to the name. And that's wihout entering to discuss the arguments issued in point nº3

5. Stratos doesn't represent Lancia at all. Fulvia does. It's sporty but not overtly so, elegant and luxurious. It's understated just like a Lancia should be. Different to the "showy" Alfa Romeo. Put it this way, Alfa Romeos are red, Lancias not necessarily so

6. The fact that the Fulvia has been forgotten by the general public would actually help Lancia. Reproducing such famous cars like the Delta HF Integrale or the Stratos would lead to direct comparisons with the originals, which would only harm Lancia
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I agree that trend of shrinking glasshouses isn't a welcome one. However, I don't think this car looks the least bit disproportional; take cars like the Ford interceptor concpet for example, and appreciate that it could be A LOT worse. The just my two cents, and no one really gives a damn what I think, so, whatever.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    The only thing I can think of that would be as good an option as this would be a modern Beta and Monte Carlo.

EVO makes its way to central Arkansas via a caravan of donkeys, and so I've just gotten the eCoty issue. Interestingly, one of the writers said of the Lancer EVO IX "just imagine those mechanicals in a Lancia Delta bodyshell."

Intriguing. Deeply intriguing.

For some reason, Lancia just let the whole rally hommologation special craze, which they helped invent, fall to the wayside in favor of odd-looking executive sedans and warm hatches. Surely, among people who buy drivers' cars, the name "Lancia Delta" still has some clout. Wouldn't it be great to see a modern interpretation?
    I'm erudite ;-)

If we're talking about our home markets, I'd say that a Fulvia would stand more of a chance than a big saloon or 4x4. Small Italian coupés and convertibles have quite a following here, see the Alfa Romeos for more evidence of that. I suspect that the Fulvia would be a nifty comeback for Lancia.

Big Italian saloons, on the other hand, have without fail flopped into oblivion and insignificance. The one exception is the Alfa Romeo 164 from the late '80s and the Maserati Quattroporte (in a manner of speaking).

Fulvia gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    EVO makes its way to central Arkansas via a caravan of donkeys, and so I've just gotten the eCoty issue. Interestingly, one of the writers said of the Lancer EVO IX "just imagine those mechanicals in a Lancia Delta bodyshell."

Intriguing. Deeply intriguing.

For some reason, Lancia just let the whole rally hommologation special craze, which they helped invent, fall to the wayside in favor of odd-looking executive sedans and warm hatches. Surely, among people who buy drivers' cars, the name "Lancia Delta" still has some clout. Wouldn't it be great to see a modern interpretation?
    to keep it short, yes, to all of the above.

Lancia is/was, depending on how you look at it determines the tense, one of the most successful marques in rally and they let it fall to the wayside. If you ask me, and I know you didn't, they need to get back to what made them great-fast, nimble cars.

What, I must ask, is better than lancia's mid-eighties, group b, powerhouse line up? I direct you here - http://www.groupbrally.com/lancia.shtml - for info and pics.

Triflux 600bhp at 8000rpm from an 1800cc engine, thank you Lancia.

The fulvia is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Mr.Tiv; 01-08-2007 at 01:48 PM.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

I'm not very familiar with Lancias so bear with me here.

Is the Fulvia something in the class of say, the MX-5? If it is, it better be good because it's in some steep competition. I wouldn't be worried about the Saturn Solstice though.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to see this be produced if it helps Lancia in any way. I loved the Delta Integrale and if they do make a comeback, I hope that they make that first and put it as a competitor to the STI and Evolution. I realize that it's a far step to the Delta, but if it helps, by all means, produce it.

However, I do find the Fulvia concept to be quite bland. I don't see what's so appealing about it. As I said, I'm not familiar with Lancias. Someone care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    I'm not very familiar with Lancias so bear with me here.

Is the Fulvia something in the class of say, the MX-5? If it is, it better be good because it's in some steep competition. I wouldn't be worried about the Saturn Solstice though.

On the other hand, I'd be happy to see this be produced if it helps Lancia in any way. I loved the Delta Integrale and if they do make a comeback, I hope that they make that first and put it as a competitor to the STI and Evolution. I realize that it's a far step to the Delta, but if it helps, by all means, produce it.

However, I do find the Fulvia concept to be quite bland. I don't see what's so appealing about it. As I said, I'm not familiar with Lancias. Someone care to explain?
    The Lancia Fulvia concept car could be regarded as what Lancia stands for in today's market. Alfa Romeo has long taken the role as the sporty premium brand, which Lancia used to held until Fiat bought Alfa Romeo in 1986. The main problem with Alfa Romeo is that with different apporcahes they (Lancia and Alfa Romeo) are basically chasing the same customer. Therefore it was decided that Lancia would go for the luxury customer, whereas Alfa Romeo would go for the sporty one. Lancia's approach has so far resulted in a spectacular failure and Alfa Romeo is more or less recovering from the dark days.

As such there are simply no possiblities for Lancia to revive the old late 70's and 80's days when they produced hairy chested homologation specials which used to terrify the rivals in the world rally championship. The only possible approach for an hipotetical sporty Lancia, is the original (that means before the Fiat era) way in which sport was mixed with luxury, as well as engineering and attention to detail. And that's were the Fulvia comes in. It stands for all those values, of sofistication and simplicity, elegance and sportiness. Where Alfa Romeos are loud and showy Lancias are understated and elegant.

In my opinion this a better approach than the other one, which usually meant some lairy cars but mainly average ones, because it means that all cars will be better, and that you'll be able to enjoy a entry-level Lancia as much as a top-spec one. Of course the struggle remains if Fiat wants Lancias to have a bit of sportiness at all, because in the current range there's not much hope (except for the Thesis, but if you want we'll speak about it another day as it is another story). The Fulvia could be the car that could change the situation, for better.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thanks man. The way I see it, Alfa Romeo tries to bring out the sporty image, but the cars still are slightly overweight (The hot hatch Brerra I think? not very sure).

The fact that there will be no cars like the Delta Integrale sucks. I understand your point though. The company is still shaky and can't risk another failure. However, what in particular makes the Fulvia so sure footed, than say a well engineered five passenger family car with a bit of sports attitude, say in the lines of an Acura TSX (with its own Italian flair, of course)?

Thread Information