Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW M5 (E61) Touring 2007-2010

BMW M5 (E61) Touring 2007-2010

BMW M5 Touring

The new BMW M5 Touring
    Powered by the back-to-back International Engine of the Year-winning engine driving through BMW’s unique seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox, the new M5 Touring offers up to 1,650 litres of boot space for owners needing to move sizeable loads…… quickly.

Performance
    With the previous M5 Touring (E34) only available in left-hand drive, the arrival of the new M5 Touring marks the first time the high-performance estate has been offered to British customers. Powered by the same normally aspirated 5.0-litre V-10 cylinder engine as its Saloon counterpart, the new M5 Touring redlines at 8,250rpm. 507hp and 520Nm of torque propel the car from zero to 62mph in 4.8 seconds (only 0.1 seconds slower than the Saloon). Without the 155mph electronic limiter the new M5 Touring would be capable of achieving 200mph while still transporting the largest of loads.

This balance of ultimate practicality and performance is summed up by Lee Connolly, BMW UK’s Product Manager for the new M5 Touring “The M5 Touring will be the perfect car for delivering supercar owners’ luggage to their holiday homes in France or Spain. Usefully, their luggage will arrive before they do!”

Transmission
    These levels of performance are in part made possible by the world’s first seven-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox with Drivelogic in a production car. The gearbox features eleven different change patterns to offer the driver a personally-tuned driving experience - six settings vary speed and response of gear change in a manual mode and there are five automatic modes. A Launch Control function delivers the fastest possible acceleration from standstill.

Traction
    Like the Saloon, the new M5 Touring features a three-stage DSC+ traction control system. The default mode offers drivers high levels of performance and stability. M Dynamic Mode allows an enthusiastic driver the ability to push the M5 Touring to, and beyond, the absolute limits of traction, permitting some sideslip and countersteering before the system cuts in and is selected in the M Drive Manager (see below). If the DSC button is pressed, DSC+ is completely disengaged.

BMW M’s variable M differential also offers the highest levels of driving stability and traction, especially when accelerating out of high-speed corners, with up to 100 per cent of drive being transferred to the rear wheel with most traction. Finally, the Electronic Damper Control (EDC) system offers three suspension settings to complement the prevailing driving conditions.

MDrive Manager packages these programmable settings, so that the touch of a single button sets the car up as required. Like a boy visiting his favourite sweet shop, the M5 driver can select his preferred settings for power, gearbox, EDC and DSC modes, Head-up Display and the degree of Active Seat bolster support, via the iDrive menu. One-touch of the M Drive button on the steering wheel then selects the desired combination and instantly changes the character of the car. One moment the M5 Touring is a placid and practical family car, the next it’s more akin to a track day special.

Exterior design
    Visually, the new M5 Touring follows BMW M’s philosophy of high performance shrouded in the body of a standard car with discreet styling enhancements that highlight the potential under the skin. The larger front air dam, side sills, monikered side gills and a rear valance with BMW M’s quad tailpipes protruding all hint at the performance of the world’s most dynamic estate car.

Interior
    Internally the new M5 Touring features the same enhancements as the ‘standard’ 5 Series (see below) as well as offering the Active Seat bolsters from the M5 Saloon. In addition, the Touring variant comes with BMW’s innovative iDrive control system with new short cuts - eight freely programmable buttons for instant porgramme selection. Finally, music aficionados can now specify the BMW Individual High End Audio system that uses 16 loud speakers to generate an ear-ringing 825 watts.

The new BMW M5 Touring starts production in March 2007 and will be priced at £67,075 on the road.

BMW E60 M5 Touring #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dracu777; 01-09-2007 at 02:13 PM.

BMW E60 M5 Touring #2

BMW E60 M5 Touring #3

BMW E60 M5 Touring #4

BMW E60 M5 Touring #5

BMW E60 M5 Touring #6

wow looks like a Dodge Magnum
    Last edited by hec16; 01-09-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Quote Originally Posted by hec16
    wow looks like a Dodge Magnum
    Huh ? I cant really see the comparison except both are ugly

Anyway i wasnt expecting this coming

Edit: Check these renderings from april 2005 !

Source www.autokampioen.nl
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-09-2007 at 10:55 AM.

not sure about the m6 wheels though, i perfer the saloon ones.
    "When I see an Alfa Romeo go by, I tip my hat." - Henry Ford

I would be interested in the payload of the car. It is nice to have a big (relatively) but if you cannot load anything when you have four adults in the car, what is the use of a stationwagon...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

i like the back, but the rest of that thing's just plain ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer
    i like the back, but the rest of that thing's just plain ugly
    really? I'm exactly the opposite. I always preferred the saloons rear end treatment.

something always has to be said about these super powerful estates:

if you buy a car like this, you must hate your labrador
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

While I don't like the saloon at all (as well as the M6 Coupe and Convertible), I can't help thinking that is utterly cool...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I still prefer the RS4...

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    really? I'm exactly the opposite. I always preferred the saloons rear end treatment.

something always has to be said about these super powerful estates:

if you buy a car like this, you must hate your labrador
    I can imagine that dog sliding around in the rear through the corners.

Get it some bucket seats of course!

I like the RS4, but I still like the M5, either version. I can see a head to head comparo between the two.

Thread Information