Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I hope it's not a chop. Fastest hairdressers around can drive those.

Except a helmet might spoil their hairdo.
    STFU!

Honestly, I think this is a very stupid and thipicaly american idea. Whoever buys this thing, has no clue about what's the point of a Miata and what is it's background.
    The only unoriginal engine that could make some sense in a Miata, would be something like an S2000. Compact, also light and very powerfull.

This said, this V6 sounds good, though I'm not sure what engine is that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toughTZ9PIw
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

what about a rotary? light, compact, powerful, and staying within the same company
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Rotary would be the route i'd take. Turbo Renesis/MX-5 anyone?

IWAARS6 - This was something they did only a few years ago. They basically replaced the 5L OHV V8 the Falcon had with a DOHC 4.6 out of a Mustang, and supercharged it for around 360kw and 600nm. They had plans for a 5.4 based on the current body BA/BF Falcon (02-present), as well as a coupe version of the AU Falcon (98-02) which Ford were looking at adopting (Holden was in the middle of putting the Monaro in production at the time) but the coupe idea fell through after Ford couldnt provide the development money, and i havent heard/seen anymore about their plans of doing a version based on the current Falcon with the 5.4. The guys doing it jokingly commented that after the AU was 300+, the BA would be more like 400+

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Step 2: Find LS6 motor.
    Step 3: ???

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...a/IMG_0602.jpg

I love Miatas. I love SBC's. I think this would make for a great track car that you could drive every day, and still get respectable mileage and reliability out of. And on the odd chance it does break, it should be cheap and easy to fix. Quite possibly the perfect fun car.

Discuss.
    plus one!
    BTW, I think thats an LS2...

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    what about a rotary? light, compact, powerful, and staying within the same company
    I don't like rotarys or the way they deliver power. I don't like their maintenace issues either.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    STFU!

Honestly, I think this is a very stupid and thipicaly american idea. Whoever buys this thing, has no clue about what's the point of a Miata and what is it's background.
    The only unoriginal engine that could make some sense in a Miata, would be something like an S2000. Compact, also light and very powerfull.

This said, this V6 sounds good, though I'm not sure what engine is that.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toughTZ9PIw

Typical European view, start bashing somthing you know nothing about...
    Every come to think that maybe the owner got bored with the absolute lack of power the thing has? (Ive driven one, I can vouch, an absolute snore-fest).
    According the guy who did the swap in the picture posted, the LSx/T56 combo is LIGHTER than the 1.8L I4 lump that came out of the car.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ighlight=miata

So now the miata can turn and accelerate!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    According the guy who did the swap in the picture posted, the LSx/T56 combo is LIGHTER than the 1.8L I4 lump that came out of the car.
    I highly doubt that. The original engine already has an aluminum head and it's considered a light engine even for a 4 cylinder.
    The rest of your post, obviously, I won't comment.

Why just not get a Corvette? I mean you get a factory-warranty, already great dynamics and no home-made plumbing issues.

Am I missing something?

STFU!
    Oh Hugo, you know I luffs you really, you big hairdressing poof

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    IWAARS6 - This was something they did only a few years ago. They basically replaced the 5L OHV V8 the Falcon had with a DOHC 4.6 out of a Mustang, and supercharged it for around 360kw and 600nm. They had plans for a 5.4 based on the current body BA/BF Falcon (02-present), as well as a coupe version of the AU Falcon (98-02) which Ford were looking at adopting (Holden was in the middle of putting the Monaro in production at the time) but the coupe idea fell through after Ford couldnt provide the development money, and i havent heard/seen anymore about their plans of doing a version based on the current Falcon with the 5.4. The guys doing it jokingly commented that after the AU was 300+, the BA would be more like 400+
    Do you have a link to it? The mid-80s one. Thanks!

I read really in-depth about a LSx swap into a Miata a while back, and if I remember right, the car gained 90 pounds total, but the weight was closer to the center of the car and lower in the chassis.

And even if it came out a little heavier, would it matter? The little handling you'd give up would be more than made up for in straight line speed.

Who doesn't want 400 horses under your right foot?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Next step: send to Lingenfelter and have the car taken to 1,000+ horsepower.
    Step after that: Take it to Boeing to have wings added
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I read really in-depth about a LSx swap into a Miata a while back, and if I remember right, the car gained 90 pounds total, but the weight was closer to the center of the car and lower in the chassis.

And even if it came out a little heavier, would it matter? The little handling you'd give up would be more than made up for in straight line speed.

Honestly, you guys either don't like Miatas, or keep confusing car concepts.
    I sure would hate to have 400bhp in such car. I'm not saying 115 make me totally satisfied. But the latest 1.8 158bhp is more than enough for a 1000kgs car. With a good LSD, it's enough to go around the world sideways.
    There's no way the V8 "frankenstein" can deliver the same kind of feeling. It may be fast, but the delicacy of the driving experience is lost.
    There's a popular missconception that hugely powerfull cars are the faster and most entertaining. If that was the reality, Lotus would have close their doors for good.

I highly doubt that. The original engine already has an aluminum head and it's considered a light engine even for a 4 cylinder.
    The rest of your post, obviously, I won't comment.
    Yeah, so the guy who actually did the swap wouldnt know?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Yeah, so the guy who actually did the swap wouldnt know?
    I don't believe it. Period.
    I have no doubt abiut your sincerety. I just think he's either wrong or lying.

Honestly, you guys either don't like Miatas, or keep confusing car concepts.
    I sure would hate to have 400bhp in such car. I'm not saying 115 make me totally satisfied. But the latest 1.8 158bhp is more than enough for a 1000kgs car. With a good LSD, it's enough to go around the world sideways.
    There's no way the V8 "frankenstein" can deliver the same kind of feeling. It may be fast, but the delicacy of the driving experience is lost.
    There's a popular missconception that hugely powerfull cars are the faster and most entertaining. If that was the reality, Lotus would have close their doors for good.
    It seems you've never driven anything with any power...
    The latest 158hp Miata struggles to pass minivans.
    Having driven a Miata, I can tell you, a V8 is just what it needs. More power, little to no added weight, retained balance and a nice exhaust note? Why not?

Thread Information