Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    A 10 second Miata is senseless. I dont have any problem with overly powerful V8 engined cars, but a miatas and RX7s are where I draw the proverbial "line"
    Read.
    Its the RX7 thats the 10 second car.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    that is why I am so interested in the other tweaks to this guy's Miata.....but I am confident that Slicks will provide us with detailed answers very soon.
    If your so interested why dont you ask him yourself, your very capable of that arnt you?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Read.
    Its the RX7 thats the 10 second car.
    That is just as senseless.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

You think that the bigger exhaust and 2 custom long tube headers are going to be lighter than the stock exhaust and single manifold on the rotary?
    As for the weight:
    http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/faqFD.htm
    SO that's 2831 pounds.

So comparing that with http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1161 listed as 2696 pounds or http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1070 and http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1286 at 2777 pounds and even http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1109 at 2802

So again posting EVIDENCE that you're wrong Thanks. Wish you'd saved me the time to read it though and done that yourself. Would have saved time and space on Wouters server !!!!

You really have bought into this "LS1 is always lighter" myth

and yes I would expect performance headers to be lighter by virtue of using better quality steels, requiring less material and no castings.

But thanks for bringing that up and avoiding all the bits that WERE lighter by the guys written report.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    so you are not afraid to be given this absolute label of nitwitness: "Eurofanboy"
    I stand undaunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingolstadt
    Actually, i like people like Slicks, storng hold on his opinions, very keen replies, never back off.... without people like him, it'll be a world of zombies, boring forums, boy bands...
    I have nothing against Slicks, I simply disagree with him and do not “fear” him. He’s a little strong-arm is his arguments for my taste…

So loosing weight and gaining a better weight distrabtion(rx7) will make the handling worse?
    You might as well join the rest of them in the dark closet...
    Let talk about this "giant V8".
    To put things in perspective, the LSx is smaller than both the Rover V8, and the Toyota 1UZ V8. And the pics in the bottom of the post show the LS1 next to a Miata I4, porsche I4, and the last one is next to a Rotary.
    Displacement doesnt show size, end of story.
    Not so fast. First, the LS1 is clearly more than twice as large as the rotary in the last picture, so that argument is out the window. Second, the Miata motor is clearly shorter and thus should sit further back in the chassis. The Miata motor is suspended from a lift, while the LS is sitting on it’s oil-pan. And the pic with the Porsche motor is all out of perspective. None of this addresses the issue of relative weight. And it’s not just the weight of the thing. The Miata chassis was never designed to absorb this level of horsepower.

Ah yes, the always ignorant anti-leafspring debate, we can probably thank top gear for this one, acting like its a bad thing.
    So many people in here obsessing over weight, especially unsprung weight, ironic, that the composite leafs used on the vette are lighter than coils. Not only that but they will last longer too. Since day 1 the Corvette has always been tested with coils, and they always end up with the 2 transverse leafs.
    Then why do the C6R racecars, and the Callaway C16 both use Coils? I’ll save you the trouble, progression. It’s and interesting concept that helps the car maintain traction on something other than super-smooth racetracks.

Yet your not smart enough to understand sarcasm...
    No, I do. But that was just clumsy of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    SO that's 2831 pounds.

So comparing that with http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1161 listed as 2696 pounds or http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1070 and http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1286 at 2777 pounds and even http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=1109 at 2802

So again posting EVIDENCE that you're wrong Thanks. Wish you'd saved me the time to read it though and done that yourself. Would have saved time and space on Wouters server !!!!
    I love the way you twist things up, but heres an idea, lets compare it to the US spec RX7, you know, the one thats actually getting the swap!
    2965lbs
    http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/Mazda/1995/RX-7/
    (2nd gen) 2987lbs
    http://www.stangbangers.com/89_LX5-0_vs_Competition.htm
    2840lbs
    http://www.geocities.com/ma71supratu...93cdsupra.html

You really have bought into this "LS1 is always lighter" myth

and yes I would expect performance headers to be lighter by virtue of using better quality steels, requiring less material and no castings.

But thanks for bringing that up and avoiding all the bits that WERE lighter by the guys written report.
    I never said the ls1 was lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv
    That is just as senseless.
    elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by bruxell
    Not so fast. First, the LS1 is clearly more than twice as large as the rotary in the last picture, so that argument is out the window. Second, the Miata motor is clearly shorter and thus should sit further back in the chassis. The Miata motor is suspended from a lift, while the LS is sitting on it’s oil-pan. And the pic with the Porsche motor is all out of perspective. None of this addresses the issue of relative weight. And it’s not just the weight of the thing. The Miata chassis was never designed to absorb this level of horsepower.
    MAYBE twice as long, but certainly no taller, and hardly wider.
    Ive already given the weight, and cant find the weight of any miata engine, no one else seems to have bothered looking either.

Then why do the C6R racecars, and the Callaway C16 both use Coils? I’ll save you the trouble, progression. It’s and interesting concept that helps the car maintain traction on something other than super-smooth racetracks.
    Did you notice that both of them are using adjustable coils? The C6R being a race car needs to be able to adjust things quickly and easily, they would have to completely take out the composite leafs for that.

No, I do. But that was just clumsy of you.
    clumsy to use some tongue in cheek humor?

MAYBE twice as long, but certainly no taller, and hardly wider.
    Ive already given the weight, and cant find the weight of any miata engine, no one else seems to have bothered looking either.
    If you mean than the Miata power plant, you might want to note that the Miata in question appears to have a Supercharger fitted making it looks wider because of the intake routing. It’s not any taller because it’s a V.
    You’re right by the way, I can’t find a weight for the Miata engine either. I missed the post for the LS.

Did you notice that both of them are using adjustable coils? The C6R being a race car needs to be able to adjust things quickly and easily, they would have to completely take out the composite leafs for that.
    They still have to remove the coils to adjust the spring rates. All the coil-over allows them to do adjust the damper and the ride height, which is a factor. But coils are still more progressive in their compression and that’s a BIG factor.
    Last edited by Rockefella; 01-20-2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag

Whats the point in having a modified car. Thats meats that the Nismo GTR and all modified Jap and European cars are garbage because changes have been made to stock.

A miata is nothing special, especially when stock.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Is this a typo or are all RX7s front heavy?
    The "stock" one as Slicks pointed out would be a US spec ... so lots of guff added up front for the emissions ?
    Don't have stock corner wights for "normal" RX7s
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I love the way you twist things up, but heres an idea, lets compare it to the US spec RX7, you know, the one thats actually getting the swap!
    Not deliberatly - except in the minds of the confused

However a bit of common sense and that means there is MORE "extraneous" items removed from the modified one for all the US emissions. They didn't go weld an extra 100lbs of steel onto the chassis So it makes the comparison even more inaccurate.

I never said the ls1 was lighter.
    My bad typo/brain fart ... LS2 http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...&postcount=171

It's intereseting to review your posts for the words lighter

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    They didn't go weld an extra 100lbs of steel onto the chassis So it makes the comparison even more inaccurate.
    Actually, they probably did. At least to some extent. US spec radiator supports and crash bumpers are typically a LOT heavier than Euro/Japan counterparts.

I know on my car, switching to Euro front and rear rebars and rad support, I can shave almost 70 pounds.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I know what alpines are, but your statement was totally random, Ive never mention either car ever.
    but I did, but you probably overlooked that.....I also did mention the Griffith and the Grantura..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If your so interested why dont you ask him yourself, your very capable of that arnt you?

and now for this year's contest of most helpful member: We have a sure winner.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information