Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by LS2 V8 Miata
    Everybody clearly understood your meanings using the words "stupid" and "american" whom you were addressing
    Everybody but you then. One of the few persons on this forum that I consider as friends is american. So it would be kind of stupid from me to say americans don't understand cars and are stupid. No. I meant that was a stupid idea from my point of view and that that kind of stuff is usually seen in America. From then on, think what you want.
    I disagree with the mod, but I don't think who does it is stupid, unless someone proves me wrong.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Yes, I said it's taken me two years to build this project.

There are a huge number of chassis strengthening mods and suspension work is fairly straight forward, AGX shocks, Ground control coil-overs, Eibach springs. ARP Corvette wheel studs, Mark Williams rebroached hubs.

Rear-end is Ford Thunderbird 8.8 IRS with 3:73 Ford racing gears, Detroit helical gear posi, custom forged axles.

It's insane from a cost perspective, I could of easily built a kit Cobra for the same kinda cost factors but I've already done two previously. The 1994 stock Miata was purchased from the original owner for $4000.00 US, the 2006Corvette LS2 crate engine was $5495.00, the T-56 was $1800.00 examples.

I'm doing this for fun, plan & simple.

Look at my photo site and also click on the sub-album "More high-performance projects" and it'll give you some insight into the things I enjoy building and playing around with.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/LS2V8Miata/?sc=1

Thanks for your interest
    Last edited by LS2 V8 Miata; 02-08-2007 at 01:27 PM.
    94' Miata 2006 Corvette LS2, Ron Davis, T-56 six speed, Ford 8.8 IRS 3:73 posi, Ground control AGXs MOMO seats ground up build

Hmmm... sounds like it could easily be turned into a sick drift machine.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Yes, I said it's taken me two years to build this project.

There are a huge number of chassis strengthening mods and suspension work is fairly straight forward, AGX shocks, Ground control coil-overs, Eibach springs. ARP Corvette wheel studs, Mark Williams rebroached hubs.

Rear-end is Ford Thunderbird 8.8 IRS with 3:73 Ford racing gears, Detroit helical gear posi, custom forged axles.

It's insane from a cost perspective, I could of easily built a kit Cobra for the same kinda cost factors but I've already done two previously. The 1994 stock Miata was purchased from the original owner for $4000.00 US, the 2006Corvette LS2 crate engine was $5495.00, the T-56 was $1800.00 examples.

I'm doing this for fun, plan & simple.

Look at my photo site and also click on the sub-album "More high-performance projects" and it'll give you some insight into the things I enjoy building and playing around with.

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/LS2V8Miata/?sc=1

Thanks for your interest
    In short, "don't do this at home"
    You just proved what I always suspected, that it is not a matter of putting in the engine and create a "12 second" or whatever car. It is a sure thing that the LS2 is a relatively light engine, but it is not a panacea to improve performance of a car without applying a host of other improvements. It is a bit of a shame that asking such questions has condemned some of us to the ranks of European fanboys....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Hmmm... sounds like it could easily be turned into a sick drift machine.
    two years and "easily" are something totally different...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    In short, "don't do this at home"
    You just proved what I always suspected, that it is not a matter of putting in the engine and create a "12 second" or whatever car. It is a sure thing that the LS2 is a relatively light engine, but it is not a panacea to improve performance of a car without applying a host of other improvements. It is a bit of a shame that asking such questions has condemned some of us to the ranks of European fanboys....
    Assuming because it has an American V8 up front totally destroys the handling condemnes some of you to the ranks of European fanboys...

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    two years and "easily" are something totally different...
    Working on a car for two years non-stop, and working on a car every now and then for two years is totally different.
    Again, stop assuming things.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Assuming because it has an American V8 up front totally destroys the handling condemnes some of you to the ranks of European fanboys...
    Surely only if it were untrue.
    Reading and looking at the pics of what's been done then it's fair to say that without that it would be bad ? After all he's not done all that because he had cash to burn

Have you checked it over -- or just matching a "fanboy" definition ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm not wanting to discourage anyone, I've had the great opportunities to spend a lot of roadcourse hours in my friend's Ford V8 Miata's. I've even campaigned my own modified 4 cylinder, lightened Miata against them.

These experiences motivated me, a confessed Chevy guy to do an LS V8 Miata. I've taken 2 years not just because I want to, but I must respect the daily operations of my son-in-law's business Howard Performance. I schedule my Miata's work not to interfer.

My friend Tim did his LS6 V8 Miata entirely in his garage at home but if you visit his photo site and see video of his car in action you recognize he's an exceptional technician.

See LS6 V8 Miata walk around on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ROf-ehSRT0

There is an Auto-X video of his car in there too I believe.

Also check out this video of a clean 240Z with an LS2 testing traction issues.

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...7901562b65.htm

The LS2 240Z walk around start-up video is above average too

http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...ae0148dd77.htm

It gives you a real good idea why an LS2 is a good match for a 2500 Lb car with an experienced driver.
    Last edited by LS2 V8 Miata; 02-08-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    94' Miata 2006 Corvette LS2, Ron Davis, T-56 six speed, Ford 8.8 IRS 3:73 posi, Ground control AGXs MOMO seats ground up build

CHeeres, LS, gotta respect the work in these

Vid at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFDtDwBVN0&NR seemed to be relevant.

The handling is pretty hairy and that's not a very tight course either. See 1:09 and 2:02 in. You got some posted results timesheets from events ?

What kind of weight transfer do you get under breaking ? That example certainly looks like it's losing most of it's rear braking

Gotta love the V8 growl tho' !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Damn, and I thought MX-5 turbos were common
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Tim's in his later 20s and is a novice driver, first Auto-X in the recently completed car. I'm an old guy 55 comp licensed in NASA and Pro AutoSports with quite a few years of Roadcourse and Auto-X experience.

Also, each of our cars are built so completely different in our individual approaches to rear-end work suspension, firewall mods, the list goes on and on. Look at Tim's extensive photo site and look at mine. You'll see drastic differences. So, even though I'd love to answer your "Handling" questions it'd be like comparing Apples to Kiwi fruit with both cars and drivers.

The most on track experiences I have to relate my personal handling opinions / experiences are in Corvettes, Cobras, Porsches and lastly my highly modified 4 cylinder Miata (before V8 conversion) and in my two different friend's Ford V8 Miatas. Both of those Ford V8 Miatas are radically different. Ernies is around 380 HP Cobra with AFR heads, bigger injectors and unique suspension. Bill's is a 377 Cu inch stroker with about 415 RWHP Konis G/C coil-overs on Kumho competition tires.

Again, how to compare? Dramatic driver experience differences exist. Ernie's merely competitive, Bill regularly passes Porsches, Viper GTSs, BMWs and Ferraris in various states of race prep via his years of skill as much as his car's strengths.

A lot of information, but I still don't know if I've told you a definative thing!!!

Thanks again for your interest.
    Last edited by LS2 V8 Miata; 02-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    again you seem to miss the point that putting in ANY V8 will affect the handling of the car which needs to be compensated for. You have been given ample proof of that via LS2's posts, but you apparently failed to read and/or understand them.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-09-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Also, each of our cars are built so completely different in our individual approaches to rear-end work suspension, firewall mods, the list goes on and on. Look at Tim's extensive photo site and look at mine. You'll see drastic differences. So, even though I'd love to answer your "Handling" questions it'd be like comparing Apples to Kiwi fruit with both cars and drivers.

The most on track experiences I have to relate my personal handling opinions / experiences are in Corvettes, Cobras, Porsches and lastly my highly modified 4 cylinder Miata (before V8 conversion) and in my two different friend's Ford V8 Miatas. Both of those Ford V8 Miatas are radically different. Ernies is around 380 HP Cobra with AFR heads, bigger injectors and unique suspension. Bill's is a 377 Cu inch stroker with about 415 RWHP Konis G/C coil-overs on Kumho competition tires.

Again, how to compare? Dramatic driver experience differences exist. Ernie's merely competitive, Bill regularly passes Porsches, Viper GTSs, BMWs and Ferraris in various states of race prep via his years of skill as much as his car's strengths.

A lot of information, but I still don't know if I've told you a definative thing!!!

Basically what you are telling is how to turn the Miata body into various stages of a silhouette racing car and using a V8 engine is just one of the many things to do. Thanks for all the clarifications.

Cheers, any pics/vids of you competing would interest me and other UCPers

And YES we do have a "definitive" .... confirmation that us "old farts" can drive just as fast and faster than all these youngsters

[ ducks down and hides behind keyboard ......... ]

Thread Information