Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    But you forget that it was a car made for a market in Japan, Europe and US and has sold VERY VERY well.
    Nobody is crying -- well ok I have with laighter at a few posts
    BTW you've not acutally put up any FACTS that it makes for a better car other than possibly as a dragster !!!
    do we know what needed to be changed (apart from the engine) to turn the humble Alpine into a Tiger?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    do we know what needed to be changed (apart from the engine) to turn the humble Alpine into a Tiger?
    Is that one of those "Sunbeam" things ?
    Real Alpines come with dodgy electrics and smelling of Gaulloises
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Or a 3l V6 PRV engine at 150kg ( 330 pounds ) that delivers 280hp and 35mpg
    We DO need to get a simple pointer to the post to remind all that hp/l is a measure of efficiency useful to an engineer but not a direct correlation to any POWER/SPEED comparisons
    They were just random numbers I made up for an example.
    But using the engine you just posted, this will be great.
    The F20C (S2000 engine) makes 240hp, which is ZOMG 120hp/l no wai!
    BUT it weighs 330lbs also... Once again showing that hp/l is meaningless.

Is that one of those "Sunbeam" things ?
    yes, with the Ford 289 engine..
    we could also have a look at the Grantura-Griffith conversion if you don't like to smoke..
    Last edited by henk4; 01-17-2007 at 11:57 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    :repeat:
    And the ones who are against this swap, and crying, are the european fanboys. They dont like it because they -believe- that it ruins the car, but it really doesnt when you will actually look at the facts.
    As a Japanese car fanboy, I hate this swap. There, add Japanese car fanboys to your hit list.

Now, this does not mean I hate american cars.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    In fact the USA is much more than three times bigger, which makes the chance of hitting somebody even smaller....(got any idea of geography??)
    Umm people aren't evenly spread out...they cluster into certain areas...

weight is an absolute figure....
    weight balance is a percentage

so a car weighing 1000 kg can have a 50-50 weight balance/distribution front/rear axle, and so can a 2000 kg car, only the absolute amount of weight on the axles doubles
    I understand the difference. The owner of the car pointed out that the car gain only a little bit of weight but still retained the stock miatas weight balance.

The gain in weight has been lowered by stripping the car while "race prepping" it, so unless he weighed the car before and after the strip its difficult to work out how much weight has been added by the engine swap alone.

I wonder why he didn't go down the turbo route like everyone else does, over 200hp can be made on stock internals (in the 1600 atleast) AND you get to have a silly dump valve.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I wonder why he didn't go down the turbo route like everyone else does, over 200hp can be made on stock internals (in the 1600 atleast) AND you get to have a silly dump valve.
    That's reason enough for me not to do it. If I'm modifying my car, I'm doing it to make it different from everyone else's; not exactly like it. This swap took originality and a huge amount of time, effort, money, and knowledge. Most "project" cars you read about in magazines lack all of these things.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Umm people aren't evenly spread out...they cluster into certain areas...
    we have the same problem in Holland....

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    This swap took originality
    As much originality as when someone decided to mount a V8 Ford in a AC Ace. And that was some time ago...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

while i like the swap for pure craziness, you dont see me putting my penis into my mates girl friend because i go much better and produce more power
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 01-18-2007 at 04:49 AM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    while i like the swap for pure craziness, you dont see my putting my penis into my mates girl friend because i go much better and produce more power
    Holy cow! That's one hell of an example...
    And just because you have more cubic inches it doesn't prove you have more power. And even if you did have more power, than you'd go faster, which can't be good!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Holy cow! That's one hell of an example...
    And just because you have more cubic inches it doesn't prove you have more power. And even if you did have more power, than you'd go faster, which can't be good!
    just imagine the mileage he would get...

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    More like a handling downgrade from a vette...
    Either way, V8 miatas handle well, like it or not.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFDtDwBVN0
    Compared to what? The car will not handle better for having a giant V8 out front, neither will an RX7. I don't care what upgrades accompany the swap, they would benefit a stock Miata more. And no, a Vette does not corner like a Miata; they're really not very good. The C6 is better than those that came before and the Z06 is really quite capable, but they're not as good as a 2000lb car made by people who've discovered coil-springs.

Thread Information