Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    It seems you've never driven anything with any power...
    The latest 158hp Miata struggles to pass minivans.
    Having driven a Miata, I can tell you, a V8 is just what it needs. More power, little to no added weight, retained balance and a nice exhaust note? Why not?
    Ok. Sure.
    You win.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

It seems you've never driven anything with any power...?
    Remove the last 3 words and you can keep it as a better fit for yourself
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    what about a rotary? light, compact, powerful, and staying within the same company
    Someone's already taken that step...

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/20...gined_mx5.html
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Typical European view, start bashing somthing you know nothing about...
    Every come to think that maybe the owner got bored with the absolute lack of power the thing has? (Ive driven one, I can vouch, an absolute snore-fest).
    According the guy who did the swap in the picture posted, the LSx/T56 combo is LIGHTER than the 1.8L I4 lump that came out of the car.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...ighlight=miata

So now the miata can turn and accelerate!
    Idiot. It's not a muscle car, it's designed for handling/ driving on twisty roads. It's not a Mustang.

Just wanted to clear it up, but I don't think it'll help, you're already set on the fact that the LS(insert number) = God and that every car should have one.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I don't think it's the best for the car.

However, if you want to, who cares? I wouldn't do something like that. But if you want to, so be it. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    I don't think it's the best for the car.

However, if you want to, who cares? I wouldn't do something like that. But if you want to, so be it. To each his own.
    That's my opinion too.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Idiot. It's not a muscle car, it's designed for handling/ driving on twisty roads. It's not a Mustang.

Just wanted to clear it up, but I don't think it'll help, you're already set on the fact that the LS(insert number) = God and that every car should have one.
    Did you miss the part where the swap actually balances the car even more than stock, putting the weight closer to the center of the car and the ground? The only "downside" to the swap would be having to adapt to not being able to put all the power down as early coming out. But if you're already going through the corner faster, and you have 3x the power, is that really a factor anymore?
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Man that just seems kind of ridiculous, you'd have to convert to RWD, get bigger brakes and tires, it seems to me that it'd overpowered and just overall kind of lame.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Man that just seems kind of ridiculous, you'd have to convert to RWD, get bigger brakes and tires, it seems to me that it'd overpowered and just overall kind of lame.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

why put a vette logo on a Miata? And with that engine you'll need some tires, rims suspension, a new steering wheel and tach maybe, new exhaust...IMO there's no point. You shoulduv just got a NEW Miata, install factory performance parts, and add a Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Did you miss the part where the swap actually balances the car even more than stock, putting the weight closer to the center of the car and the ground? The only "downside" to the swap would be having to adapt to not being able to put all the power down as early coming out. But if you're already going through the corner faster, and you have 3x the power, is that really a factor anymore?
    But it completely defeats the object of the car.

Let's say we go ahead with the engine conversion. Great stuff. So now I have an MX5 with 300 and whatever bhp and god only know how much torque.

Only thing is, these skinny tyres just can't put any of it down in the dry, let alone the wet. That's okay though. We'll get some nice wide tyres for the back. That'll increase the unsprung weight, but I guess that's life. So now we have an MX5 that can put all that power down. Excellent.

Only thing is, the bloody thing understeers like a pig now, cos of the difference in the tyres. Not to worry, we'll put bigger tyres on the front, too. Now she'll go like a champion. The unsprung weight's gone up again, but that's life.

Only thing now is, she's fast and she goes round corners, but since it was never built to travel at the speeds that it can now, the piddly brakes are now next to useless, which is just damn dangerous. No need to panic, we'll get some nice big discs and some hefty stoppers. Oh, hang on, we've just increased the unsprung weight even further...

Before you know it, you have something that no longer represents what the MX5 is about. You've just ended up with a smaller corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    But it completely defeats the object of the car.

Let's say we go ahead with the engine conversion. Great stuff. So now I have an MX5 with 300 and whatever bhp and god only know how much torque.

Only thing is, these skinny tyres just can't put any of it down in the dry, let alone the wet. That's okay though. We'll get some nice wide tyres for the back. That'll increase the unsprung weight, but I guess that's life. So now we have an MX5 that can put all that power down. Excellent.

Only thing is, the bloody thing understeers like a pig now, cos of the difference in the tyres. Not to worry, we'll put bigger tyres on the front, too. Now she'll go like a champion. The unsprung weight's gone up again, but that's life.

Only thing now is, she's fast and she goes round corners, but since it was never built to travel at the speeds that it can now, the piddly brakes are now next to useless, which is just damn dangerous. No need to panic, we'll get some nice big discs and some hefty stoppers. Oh, hang on, we've just increased the unsprung weight even further...

Before you know it, you have something that no longer represents what the MX5 is about. You've just ended up with a smaller corvette.
    Well said.

It's meant to represent a comeback of small roadsters from the 1960s, i.e. the MGB. Not the equivalent of a Cayman- smaller, big power, same concept.

These cars are more about the fun from executing the perfect turn-in and enjoying yourself with dynamics, rather than speed. And the standard power is more than enough for most. If you're really that bothered, just get th ECU remapped, get a K&N air filter and possibly a small turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    why put a vette logo on a Miata? And with that engine you'll need some tires, rims suspension, a new steering wheel and tach maybe, new exhaust...IMO there's no point. You shoulduv just got a NEW Miata, install factory performance parts, and add a Turbo.
    The LSMiata would still be faster, quicker, handle better, get better mileage, and be easier to work on and source parts for. There's no point in turboing a new one.

Edit: No doubt a stock Miata is a very well balanced, fun car to drive. But a Miata with a tree-fiddy would be a giggle-inducing machine to no end.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Hehe, it is RWD.

I think VTECMini really hit it on the head for me too. Why bother when you can get a Mustang which does pretty much the same thing for less?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R
    Why bother when you can get a Mustang which does pretty much the same thing for less?
    Because I don't have a mullet. Because Miatas have a stigma of being a girly car. Because no one would see it coming. Because I like ideas that are different and original.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information