Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Find Miata.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Fastest hairdressers around can drive those.
    they wont have much of a 'do left after the ride though at those speeds

with that chassis and standard tyres and breaks i guess itll do well only in a straight line

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Excellent video.

...cept for theose who hold the view that handling wouldnt' suffer

That was the most skittish I've ever seen an MX-5, it wasn't particularly fast and there are major issues with the rear end squat and rebound.
    Right... Its only the V8 ones...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmtlmTczJ4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-XF6ptgFo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLolhNopT7M

I think Ill believe the guy who has actually done the swap before...

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey
    that was the group in Norfolk VA that I autoxed with never saw that one out there though.. had to miss that autox. think i was underway
    Really? Heh, its a small world.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    15 sec 1/4 time seems reasonable for a cheap two seat roadster
    I guess for the price, but 15 seconds is practically crawling...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Oh. I didn't realize that if you had a powerful car with not so powerful brakes you would be stupid enough to push it all the way to it's top speed. I was assuming that anyone reading my post would be intelligent enough to understand that I was proposing an LSx Miata as something to mess around with and have fun in. No it's not a race car, it's a car you can drive every day, and take to the track on weekends. On every corner you get the adrenaline rush of pushing it right to the limit of traction and being on the edge of spinning. To make an LSx Miata into a trackcar, would pretty much destroy it as a Miata. To drive an LSx Miata like a trackcar or even a regular sportscar would be reckless and idiotic. The point of it is to have something wildly overpowered thats fun to drive and corners well, if not as well as a stock Miata.
    No dummy, in Europe obviously you MUST push every car to their peak limit in every corner, and treat the throttle like an on/off switch, and slam on the brakes every time you want to stop. We Americans are just too dumb to understand that

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Right... Its only the V8 ones...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gmtlmTczJ4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-XF6ptgFo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLolhNopT7M

I think Ill believe the guy who has actually done the swap before...
    Clearly I didnt' explain it clearly enough.

Those videos prove exactly what I pointed out.

Only the first one is anywhere near looking as unstabel as the V8 one adn THAT is 99% down to a much tighter course, so dangerous to use as a measure.
    But the other two. Q-E-D.

Suggest going back and reading what I said and then using the internet to understand it.
    We Americans are just too dumb to understand that
    'nuff said but wrong to label ALL that way !!!!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-12-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    The point of it is to have something wildly overpowered thats fun to drive and corners well, if not as well as a stock Miata.
    Exactly my point. This car would be an absolute giggle-inducing machine. 400 horses in a sub-2300 pound car? Try 0-ridiculous speed in 2.4 seconds. zomg u ruined teh balanse!!111!1 And you totally missed the point.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I'm more interested in this less than 15 second minivan we are theoretically struggling to overtake.

If I was going to put a different engine in an MX-5 I wouldn't have used and LS, but then what is this car going to be used for, maybe its entirly appropriate?
    http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...sey-page2.html

tut-tut

Citing ESTIMATED figures to readers ?

about 8 1/2 s for the Odyssey. Still not hanging about ... true,
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    I guess for the price, but 15 seconds is practically crawling...
    MX-5's do come with turbo's if you're that worried about being overtaken...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    if you're that worried about being overtaken...
    ...you have some sort of inferiority complex.
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Exactly my point. This car would be an absolute giggle-inducing machine. 400 horses in a sub-2300 pound car? Try 0-ridiculous speed in 2.4 seconds. zomg u ruined teh balanse!!111!1 And you totally missed the point.
    Exactly. I'm all for Euro cars, as well as muscle cars, supercars, classic cars, race cars, and pretty much any other car. Now neither me nor Quiggs ever said the Miata's not a great iconic car. We didn't say an LS would make it the fastest track car, or the best driver, or that it would be able to be driven to the limit without many other modifications that would defeat the purpose of putting the engine in in the first place.

When you put an LS engine in a Miata, you're making a car to mess around with and have fun in. On the street you're driving something that roars like a 'vette and looks like a miata. On the track you have a car that is always on the edge, an absolutely psychotic car that's incredibly fun to handle. (Something like the Viper, from what I've heard.) The point isn't to drive it fast. It's to have fun.

Summary:
    Sometimes its fun when the engine limits the chassis (stock Miata)
    Sometimes its fun when the chassis limits the engine (LSx Miata)
    Sometimes its fun when they're balanced (Lotus Exige )
    I would have a blast in any of these cars. Maybe you would and maybe you wouldn't, but there's no need to bash the idea.
    Last edited by Bob; 01-12-2007 at 09:34 PM.

More power is better. This statement is undefeatable. Or is it?

Consider that a Miata weighs about 2300 lbs. Consider that a Miata's wheelbase is 89.5 inches. Also consider that in tight corners, even with it's native engine, it's possible to break traction.

Will the V8 Miata be a better track car? Probably. Because on a track, racers can even learn to harness 700 HP in a light openwheeler.
    Will the V8 Miata's handling limits be as easily explored? If you don't understand this statement, go blip your throttle and be happy that it sounds sooooooooooo good and don't worry about it. You don't get it. Who are you? You know, the power junkie, power corrupts and more power corrupted your brain, it's fun but I can't smoke the wheels at freeway speeds type of guy.

I like powerful cars but don't think power makes a car. Mo pawr-mo beta reasoning doesn't work for me.

What the V8 will be is a great Auto-X mongrel. You might as well put a Viper V10 in a Mini, it'll KICK SOME SERIOUS AAS. Turbocharge it and now you've some POWER.

But that's not what the Miata is about...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    More power is better. This statement is undefeatable. Or is it?

Consider that a Miata weighs about 2300 lbs. Consider that a Miata's wheelbase is 89.5 inches. Also consider that in tight corners, even with it's native engine, it's possible to break traction.

Will the V8 Miata be a better track car? Probably. Because on a track, racers can even learn to harness 700 HP in a light openwheeler.
    Will the V8 Miata's handling limits be as easily explored? If you don't understand this statement, go blip your throttle and be happy that it sounds sooooooooooo good and don't worry about it. You don't get it. Who are you? You know, the power junkie, power corrupts and more power corrupted your brain, it's fun but I can't smoke the wheels at freeway speeds type of guy.

I like powerful cars but don't think power makes a car. Mo pawr-mo beta reasoning doesn't work for me.

What the V8 will be is a great Auto-X mongrel. You might as well put a Viper V10 in a Mini, it'll KICK SOME SERIOUS AAS. Turbocharge it and now you've some POWER.

But that's not what the Miata is about...
    Both Bob and Quiggs have clearly stated that putting this engine in the Miata defeats what the Miata is all about. They've said that this car is for having some serious tail-out fun, and I completely agree with them. This would be an insane car to drive with the tail out and tires blazing, as the stock Miata would be fun for its nimbler handling. So you can quit bashing the idea and accept it for what it is: An insane, overpowered, and fun car to blast around in.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    Both Bob and Quiggs have clearly stated that putting this engine in the Miata defeats what the Miata is all about. They've said that this car is for having some serious tail-out fun, and I completely agree with them. This would be an insane car to drive with the tail out and tires blazing, as the stock Miata would be fun for its nimbler handling. So you can quit bashing the idea and accept it for what it is: An insane, overpowered, and fun car to blast around in.
    Everythings already been said, I know. But I just couldn't resist taking a jab, not at the car but the inferior intellect of simpletons who'd devise such a contraption.

The Miata's chassis cannot take that much power. If you want tails out fun do it in a KIT car that can handle the power. Then again, it you'd build a car to have tails out fun, you probably aren't smart enough to figure that out.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information