Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VS Holden Commodore with VP motor...

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Ive just been given a VS commode, however it has the older style VP non-sequentially injected buick style V6 in it. Ive been told after 20 key starts the memcal (VS) will reset its parametres and happily run the older style engine. Is there anyone out there that has heaps of knowledge on the late 90's commodores that might be able to offer some advice here.
    Also, a Holden qualified mechanic told me I cant drop a 5.0L V8 into my V6 car because there is a difference in the k-frame which prevents the motor bolting up in the correct position, is this true also. Ive noticed I can get a 5.0 for roughly the same as a rebuilt 3.8L and to be honest, the V6 does not give me a mongrel like the sweet sound of a V8 does.
    Any help will be vastly appreciated.
    As an ex Holden mechanic with a fair bit of knowledge in this area I can say that the MEMCAL is an EEPROM. This means that it has Electronic Erasable Programmed Read Only Memory. This means that the chip holds a program that can only be programed with a unit designed to do so. I have never heard of a memcal changing it's settings as it doesn't have that feature. If the ECU does not see a cam sensor it will log a code and will go into group injection automatically. Whether or not this would work on an early model engine with a late ECU, I don't know.

As far as the K frame, they are bolt on to the Chasis but I don't know whether they are interchangeable. One thing though, by the time all the mods are done to convert if it can be done, you could have just picked up a V8.

Daz snap a few pics of the bonnet boot and taillights for us man, Just too see if it's a VS it might be stocko VR with VS badges?.

Build date is a late 96. Also says its a VS on the plate. Its definately a VS, its an ex taxi, and the original motor threw a leg out of bed.
    Revetec, I know that its cheaper and less effort just to go buy one thats got an 8 in it already, but wheres the fun in that? Ill have much more enjoyment getting a motor and trans, and a subframe etc and doing the work myself than I would just handing over a chunk of change and driving someone elses car away. Its not the end reuslt that matters so much as the journey building it.
    If the computer does go into group mode, that would explain why it fired the older motor so well, being a group fire design... I guess.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Ahh mist that that then says it all..

Yes i agree, When i spoke about a V6 supercharged engine i was told (not here of course) Too buy one with the engine in it.. I said why?? Maybe i enjoy the car i'm in and want this too have the engine i enjoy in it..

In the trading post i have seen new 5lt 180kw crate engines for $5500. Trannys be around $1500.
    Maybe you could find a VR 5lt that's had it's arse crushed in and remove all it's goody's?.

Looked at a VN SS thats had its arse pushed in a little, it has no interior, is auto, has diff etc, basically mechanically complete. It has the 5L obviously but more importantly has all the loom and computer and stuff. The wrecking yard selling it wants 3 grand for it. 3 ****ing grand for a smashed up pos. oh, and thats minus the SS rims. It might have goodies but its not worth 3 anythings to me... However, they doooo have a VY with a gen 3 init sittin out the back thats had a fair size knock on the nose. It appears to have had the water pump broken off and twisted the motor and box sideways against the drivers side strut tower. How impossible is it to fit a late chev to a VS?
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Probably easy as piss, but if the water pump's been damaged, you dont know what else mightve happened to the engine. If you think its worth risking it, and the transmission too is in decent enough condition then yeh, the LS1 wouldnt be bigger than a 304.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27
    Looked at a VN SS thats had its arse pushed in a little, it has no interior, is auto, has diff etc, basically mechanically complete. It has the 5L obviously but more importantly has all the loom and computer and stuff. The wrecking yard selling it wants 3 grand for it. 3 ****ing grand for a smashed up pos. oh, and thats minus the SS rims.
    Recently looked at a VN SS 5sp not a bad car with long rego, good mech & interior etc but tired paint for $3k obo
    How impossible is it to fit a late chev to a VS?
    http://castleauto.com.au/hs_dbase/efigen3c.php

Worst that could happen to the motor surely is a sudden stop... Maybe a bent crank, but its auto, so i guess itd be ok having a torque convertor and all. Should enquire about it. I bet he wants an astronomical figure for it too. Amazing though, as a wreck its worth more than as a running and regoed car.... The VN I mean.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

I could haggle a mere 10% off this tidy VP V8 5speed and get myself a decent example for only $1300 more than you're asked to fork out for a bent incomplete unregistered VN wrecker!

http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=853353513
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nota now your talking

^^ I guess the general message is don't look to Townsville for 'cheap' V8 Commodores even if they're given to you ..

Thats pretty good price, It seems too be a VP SS and the cheapest i have seen one here for was $5999. And it was slightly ruff in areas.

Are you thinking of getting some of that good old 5lt back in the vain

Haha, got the shits with it, every bit of it is on ebay soon....
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

What??????

What kind of idiot told you that a vn water pump is on the back of the engine?thermostat yes! But the water pump is belt driven and is on the front of all these motors in question! I know I own a vp wagon that has been customized extensively and the water pump is on the front! And I also own a stock as a rock vn berlina s1 and it shit a water pump 2 days ago and once again water pump is located on the front of the motor behind the big centre most pulley on the engine and guess what that pulley drives??? Would it be the water pump maybe? Seriously guys have all your auto work done by a person that knows something about cars other than the fact that one pedals for slow and the others for go! Because you boys are only gonna be disappointed when yous stuff it up! And daz commodores are one of the most common cars around which also meens they are cheap as chips if you know what your looking at! Either buy a ecotec from somewhere or sell the shell for scrap and buy something with a v8 already in it!

Thread Information