Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari (F1-2007) F2007

Ferrari (F1-2007) F2007

F2007 - Description and technical specifications

Maranello, 14th January 2007 - The F2007 is the fifty third single-seater built by Ferrari specifically to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship.
    The project, known internally as the 658, represents the Scuderia's interpretation of the technical regulations that apply for 2007, with changes principally concerning safety, through the introduction of more stringent front and rear crash tests and the addition of a composite material structure to provide lateral protection to the sides of the driver. These modifications have led to a significant increase in the weight of the car, in the region of just under ten kilogrammes.
    The F2007 chassis has been significantly modified when compared to the 248 F1. The design was revised to accommodate a new front suspension that represents a major conceptual innovation, mainly in terms of aerodynamics. The shape of the side-pods and their openings are also revised, based on modifications to the cooling system, which also implies exits for the radiators on the upper part of the bodywork, while the engine air intake is also substantially different. The car has a longer wheelbase than its predecessor. The rear of the car is much narrower, taking advantage of the more sculpted shape of the gearbox housing, which again this year is made from carbon fibre. The gearbox itself, which is still mounted longitudinally, is fitted with an innovative quick-shift system (seven plus reverse). The rear suspension is similar to that on the 248 F1, but a significant development programme is planned in this area, in order to get the most out of the system, based on making progress in understanding the behaviour of the 2007 tyres. The front and rear aerodynamic configuration is also expected to change considerably before the start of the World Championship. The position of the rear view mirrors seen on the 2006 car remains unchanged and the same goes for the exhaust system.
    In accordance with the regulations that come into force this year, the basic structure of the engine remains the same as the one homologated at the end of last season. Therefore, the 056 engine continues as a load bearing member and is again mounted longitudinally. Based on what is permitted in the regulations, the following modifications have been carried out to the engine signed off with the FIA in October 2006:
    · the combustion chamber, the valves, the inlet and exhaust chambers, all aimed at optimising the torque curve, given the engine rev limit of 19,000 rpm;
    · the piston, the piston pin and the piston cooling jets to aim for the best possible reliability when running at the limit of 19,000 rpm;
    · the fluid systems (water and oil) and components to facilitate the integration of the 056 into the new car.

As usual, during the design and development phase of the complete car, the technical partners played an important role. A significant part was played by Shell in terms of fuel and lubricants, by the Fiat Research Centre in the use of simulation systems and by Brembo in developing the braking system. As is now traditional, a great deal of attention was paid to the performance and optimisation of the materials used, to the design stage and to quality control, striving to maximise the performance level and to ensure the highest possible standard of safety.

CHASSIS

Carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite structure

Ferrari longitudinal gearbox
    Limited-slip differential

Semiautomatic sequential electronically
    controlled gearbox - quick shift

Number of gears: 7 +Reverse

Ventilated carbon-fibre disc brakes

Independent suspension, push-rod activated
    torsion springs front and rear
    Length: 4545 mm

Width: 1796 mm

Height: 959 mm

Wheelbase: 3135 mm

Front track: 1470 mm

Rear track: 1405 mm

Weight with water, lubricant and driver: 600 kg

Wheels (front and rear): 13"

ENGINE

Type: 056

Number of cylinders: 8

Cylinder block in cast aluminium: V 90°

Number of valves: 32

Pneumatic distribution

Total displacement: 2398 cm3

Piston bore: 98 mm

Weight: > 95 kg

Magneti Marelli digital electronic injection

Magneti Marelli static electronic ignition

Fuel: Shell V-Power ULG 62

Lubricant: Shell SL-0977
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nopassn; 01-14-2007 at 08:45 AM.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Great to see that yet again they found some ingenious aerodynamic things

Oh, first time there is no white (except borders) in the livery since Vodafone became one of their principal sponsor. Rosso Scuderia all around. I love it. I wonder how McLaren car will look like now that they are sponsored by Vodafone. Will it look like their McLaren-Honda days?

It is also interesting to note Ferrari went back with their F200x naming scheme. Does anyone know why the 248 F1 was not named F2006? To mark the change from V10 to V8 I guess? If that's so, why going back!
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 01-14-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

It's still Marlboro Pink. And I still think F1 cars look more like insects every year.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26
    It is also interesting to note Ferrari went back with their F200x naming scheme. Does anyone know why the 248 F1 was not named F2006? To mark the change from V10 to V8 I guess? If that's so, why going back!
    i have seen it called F2006 in some technical reports/articles
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    It's still Marlboro Pink. And I still think F1 cars look more like insects every year.
    didnt they go to that color so it woudl look better on the tv cameras.. i think i heard that somewhere
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

so from the hashed white lines on the wing and nose, i take it that they have no principle sponsor yet?
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    so from the hashed white lines on the wing and nose, i take it that they have no principle sponsor yet?
    I checked on their site, Vodafone and Marlboro are not there. They were their two principal sponsors last year. I knew for Vodafone, but I thought Marlboro contract was good until 2011. Maybe it's the red UPC-like graphics on the car, but it's weird that Marlboro isn't featured in the sponsors section of the site.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I checked on their site, Vodafone and Marlboro are not there. They were their two principal sponsors last year. I knew for Vodafone, but I thought Marlboro contract was good until 2011. Maybe it's the red UPC-like graphics on the car, but it's weird that Marlboro isn't featured in the sponsors section of the site.
    no tobacco advertising allowed at all from now on
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

I too was under the impression that Marlboro/Philip Morris was still a principle sponsor, but there are all sorts of legal complications regarding tobacco promotion in the EU and beyond. Maybe that's what is stopping Ferrari from listing them on their website.

Vodafone has been replaced by the Telecom Italia group as the other main sponsor. Their main colour is also red, which is handy. In Europe their biggest division is "Alice" which you can clearly see advertised here. Telecom Italia also control the TIM brand in South America, so I guess the exact livery could change for certain races.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

New car, new name.

And I don't like the look of the livery at all.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No pics from back? Well tommorow Felipe Massa will drive it. Maybe a video and some pics

lovin the new color layout.but the regulations are making it "soft"
    Ferrari will be WCC. Whoever wins the WDC will be from the Scuderia.........Yet who?

Quote Originally Posted by sicilian973-2
    lovin the new color layout.but the regulations are making it "soft"
    Soft?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

it looks great in all red and not to mutch white
    Ferrari Is The Best

Thread Information