Thread: Queen Mary 2 in Auckland

Queen Mary 2 in Auckland

Queen Mary 2 arrived in Auckland at around 7am this morning, and she'll be off again late tonight heading for Sydney (I think they're putting on some fireworks). Literally all day, the waterfront was lined with people wanting to get a look.

The QM2 is the world's second largest passenger ship (it was the largest at 148,528 gross tons, until the 154,407 gross ton Freedom of the Seas was launched in 2006). It remains the longest (at 345 metres), widest (at 41 metres), and tallest (at 72 metres). It's the largest ship ever to sail in New Zealand waters. In a couple of the photos, the Sky Tower is in shot - the QM2 is longer than it is tall. (this is where you say "WHOA! That's incredible" like on the Magic Bullet Infomercial.)

Even more incredible, Auckland even managed to turn on the weather

So anyway - here's a few photos I took - the angle obviously wasn't too good for the first couple, so we drove to a better spot. The skyscrapers give some idea of the size of the ship.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Monty_Burns; 02-16-2007 at 10:27 PM.
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Cruise ships are so huge you don't belive how big they are until you see them, heres some pics I took of one I was on, they're massive!

and the Queen Mary's even bigger then the attached!
    Attached Images Attached Images

the QM2 pulled in at the pier next to ours a few years ago when we went to NYC. She is huge. It dwarfed the Aircraft Carrier it was parked next to. that huge and it doesn't need tugs. i think it used them because it was a tight slip, but it never really needs them. incredible ship.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

nice. i saw a picture of a cruise ship with a climbing wall behind the funnel. the jahre viking is still the biggest though.
    autozine.org

That's insane, the mind boggles at the sheer size of it! Very cool ship nonetheless. I still like the Oriana.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    nice. i saw a picture of a cruise ship with a climbing wall behind the funnel.
    Those are royal caribean I belive...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    Those are royal caribean I belive...
    oh yeah..it was in a travel agents window.

edit: the poster, not the ship
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    the jahre viking is still the biggest though.
    The Knock Nevis, as it is now known, is permanently moored up off Qatar as a giant storage tank.

In fact much of its time "afloat" has been static - a case of too big, too expensive and too much hassle.

As for the QM2; like all cruise ships it is ugly and probably full of fat, obnoxious tourists in bad shirts.

Gone are the days when commercial shipping was amongst the most visually impressive of man's creations, now it is up to Allen, Ellison and Ambramovic to keep the seas littered with large craft that aren't painful to look at, or an Ulstein "X".

Just to change subject slightly - I'm a bit of a transatlantic ocean liner nut - just as a matter of interest, are there any others?
    I am a New Zealander, and I hate Greg Murphy. Yes, we exist.

Thread Information