Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: best guitar player?

Paul McCartney.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Which is why I chose John Petrucci ... I challenge you to find a faster and more accurate guitarist.
    Have you heard Michaelangelo Batio?... the man they call hands without shadows...heheh

But honestly, I love Brian May (Queen)....his only problem was he was ovshadowed by Mercury
    John Frusciante (RHCP), Satriani and Eric Johnson (Have any of you heard Cliffs of Dover?) and Malmsteen coz he has a prancing horse on his guitar!
    Last edited by Nazmacher; 01-18-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    .... preparing for life after Michael

John Frusciante is very good. He was going to play for Zappa but he failed the drug test.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    John Frusciante is very good. He was going to play for Zappa but he failed the drug test.
    hehehe... thank god for that!

I cannot decide. I have a few favourite guitarists.

Jimi Hendrix, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Eric Clapton, Frank Zappa, Django Reinhardt, John Williams (classical guitarist), Darryl Lance Abbot aka Dimebag, Joe Satriani, Kirk Hammet, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, "Michel Angelo"? and John Petrucci.

Prince is a great guitarist as well.
    Last edited by john14; 01-19-2007 at 01:28 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_man
    I'm with Exige on this one. He said a better guitarist, not musician. IMO John Frusciante is a great songwriter, but he's not the best guitarist. It's great if someone can write an emotional ballad, but being a better guitarist is about playing more technically difficult stuff, not writing better songs. A good guitarist can play a really hard song cleanly. A good musician can write a really good song and play it cleanly.
    WrongwrongwrongwrongwrongWRONG!

Musicality is what makes a great person, as well as technical ability. You cannot just lump it all into one category- this guy does this, so he is this. It's a blend of technique and musicianship.

So, because Mike Einziger from Incubus doesn't play fast that often makes him a worse guitarist than, say, one of the two plonkers from Dragonforce? No, it doesn't. Because Mike is versatile, he can handle jazz, rock, prog, metal, psychedelic and punk. It's evident from the last 4 albums by Incubus. Dragonforce's songs all sound the same, mainly down to the guitar playing. There's no variation.

Speed doesn't necessarily make you an all-round better guitarist, it just concentrates on one aspect of being a good guitarist. I couldn't care less for speed, because it's not musical- I prefer to make beautiful music.

That's why I play classical

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    That's why I play classical
    im into classical now too, guess its a sign of growing up! that and listening to radio 4! -sorry to destract from the subject...
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali
    im into classical now too, guess its a sign of growing up! that and listening to radio 4! -sorry to destract from the subject...
    Not quite real men play classical it's when you are man enough and good enough to make music without any accompaniment whatsoever, just filling an entire room by yourself with everyone hanging onto your every note.

Classical ROCKS!
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

rick james, biatsh!
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by kigango123
    rick james, biatsh!
    rick james played bass... a rickenbacker to be specific
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Not quite real men play classical it's when you are man enough and good enough to make music without any accompaniment whatsoever, just filling an entire room by yourself with everyone hanging onto your every note.
    Thats about the stupidest thing i've ever heard... you've gotta appreciate different styles man, dont love em all, but to compare em is churlish.

Well, I love classical, played for a couple of years (piano, though) but at a certain point you realise, that its not about you or wat you bring to the table, but more on how closely you can match the print...'the way its meant to be', Well if you can compose then thats what sets you apart from the rest, otherwise, its merely oratory

Some one mentioned, Yehudi or even Vladamir Askananzy... well sure they are musicians, but the only time you will ever mention them in the same sentence as the greats like Mozart, Chopin or Beethowen is when they have a sheet of their music in front of them.

I heard Virgil Donati last month, when i first understood the difference between a musician and a freakin genius!...(and no, it wasnt his speed, its what he was doin when the spot light wasnt on him, the sheer complexity of the beat and rhythm that was spellbinding)
    Last edited by Nazmacher; 01-19-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmacher
    Thats about the stupidest thing i've ever heard... you've gotta appreciate different styles man, dont love em all, but to compare em is churlish.

Well, I love classical, played for a couple of years (piano, though) but at a certain point you realise, that its not about you or wat you bring to the table, but more on how closely you can match the print...'the way its meant to be', Well if you can compose then thats what sets you apart from the rest, otherwise, its merely oratory
    I play almost everything. The only thing I don't play is shred, because I can't keep up- my right hand is pretty weak, I'm left-handed and play right-handed.

I personally prefer classical; I don't see why it's churlish to compare it. I appreciate different styles, it's just that rock and classical come out on top, followed closely by jazz and country, and metal is firmly at the bottom of the pile.

Classical is the perfect blend of musicianship and performance techniques. And as for 'the way it's meant to be'- that's a damn lie, having played it for 7 years now it's about interpretation and how well you can express yourself.

Classical is the perfect blend of musicianship and performance techniques. And as for 'the way it's meant to be'- that's a damn lie, having played it for 7 years now it's about interpretation and how well you can express yourself.
    When your playin a C r D your playin a C or D. When you read crescendo, you bloody well be doin crescendo. If you call that interpretation, then so be it

Thread Information