Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm

Storm

Today in the Netherlands is a very fierce storm. Winds reach speeds of 180 km/h or 115 mph. Everything is out of order of blowing away. There is NO train traffic at all in the entire country. Only busses by one company MIGHT drive...

As you can guess, i was in the middle of it. I departed from school at 14:00 on advice of the police. Somehow I managed to reach the subway station. Then in between two stations the train stopped. It stood there for over an hour. Then it went off again and stopped 10 minutes or so at every station

For the rest i didnt have much problems even though i arrived home at 17:30

I just received word that a group of my classmates is STILL stuck in the building. They may leave,but cant. They will not be able to reach home before the trains will go again,likely not before tomorrow evening.

Do any of the other Northern-European guys have much problems with it right now ?

Quick Update:
    No Public transport until tomorrow. Cars are advised not to be used. University is getting ready to let people sleep there.
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-18-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Our garden fence blew down on my mum.

Just cleared it all away, not happy.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Its interesting to me how people react to extremes in conditions, and what is extreme one place might not be for another place. For instance here, we had a few inches of snow and it was like the end of the world. When I lived on the coast, we'd regularly have huge wind storms, and nobody thought much of it because it was common. All the stuff that would get destroyed probably had at one time or another Sure we lost electricity at least a week every year, but we had candles and lamps and stuff so it didn't matter.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    Its interesting to me how people react to extremes in conditions, and what is extreme one place might not be for another place. For instance here, we had a few inches of snow and it was like the end of the world. When I lived on the coast, we'd regularly have huge wind storms, and nobody thought much of it because it was common. All the stuff that would get destroyed probably had at one time or another Sure we lost electricity at least a week every year, but we had candles and lamps and stuff so it didn't matter.
    Well for our country this is pretty uncommon.

Update:

I'll be trying to drive to rotterdam soon. My classmates need a place to sleep... Lets hope i dotn crash into a tree or something...

Strange, I have not noticed a thing.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Strange, I have not noticed a thing.
    Then why is your pet hidding in your shoes?

Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

apparently it ruins the threads
    autozine.org

Good call

Just taken the rest of the fence down. Hard work.

at work today we had a truck coming to unload and it blew almost over
    and then it started toe rain zoo hard that you cadent see more then 25 Meters i was in ymuiden
    Ferrari Is The Best

Floods happen often for you guys though right?

Right now it's snowing lightly here in NY. It's been unseasonably warm though until these couple of days.

there are extremely strong winds in poland as well

pr0per windsurfing FTW
    12 cylinders or walk!

I was finished at around 17.00. Immediatly went to the train station and jumped in the intercity. But, it didn't took off anymore... So we went to the bar, had some beers. Then my father called me he was on his way (45 minute drive), so had a quick bite at the Burger King and I arrived home at 21.15....
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

the strong winds here meant that trees were fallen everywhere and lorries were overturned. My college bus set off at 4:30pm and i got home at 8:15pm!!!!! After i got out 3 quarters of the way and ran the rest...

Life from the offices of UCP

This morning at about 11.00 One tree (and a lamppost) down, no casualties, one hour later when the remains were removed, it turned that the adiacent tree had suffered collateral damage and it was considered more safe to cut that too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

From across the Atlantic...the storm we had/have this week made it on YouTube:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/18/v...ry-ice-can-be/
    The video is taken near where I go to lunch.

We had a storm with +100mph a couple weeks ago, well over a million houses had no power (some for several days).

Thread Information