Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: comparison of economic cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    many people have no clue about torque but intuitively feel the ease at which you can move along in a diesel...
    Maybe it's just me but I felt that the Mini was better when pulling from 1000rpm in high gears than the Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI I test drove.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Maybe it's just me but I felt that the Mini was better when pulling from 1000rpm in high gears than the Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI I test drove.
    yeah probably...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    I know people who don't even know what torque is and do barely 10.000km a year, and still buy a diesel...

Besides they could also buy supercharged/turbocharged petrol engines if they like low range punch.
    There aren't many super/turbochargered engined cars to choose from unless all you are looking for is performance.

Also the low insurence of diesels allows younger drivers (who aren't obsessed with noise) to get something a bit quick without breaking the bank. Infact I'm hoping to sell my 1.0litre Suzuki and buy a 306 TD and I don't think I'll see much, if any increase in insurence for a jump of 40hp and god knows how much more torque.
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    There aren't many super/turbochargered engined cars to choose from unless all you are looking for is performance.

Also the low insurence of diesels allows younger drivers (who aren't obsessed with noise) to get something a bit quick without breaking the bank. Infact I'm hoping to sell my 1.0litre Suzuki and buy a 306 TD and I don't think I'll see much, if any increase in insurence for a jump of 40hp and god knows how much more torque.
    They are coming eventually. In the short term we'll see a lot of turbocharged small engines for small cars. For isntance Fiat and Renault are acknowledged to be developing small (under 1400cc) turbocharged petrol engines for their city cars.
    Visca Catalunya!

Peugeot/Mini's new 1.6 turbo engine looks like a best of both with having around 150hp and 230lb/ft of torque it'll be like having a diesel without the noise (and its supposed to do 40mpg ish).
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Peugeot/Mini's new 1.6 turbo engine looks like a best of both with having around 150hp and 230lb/ft of torque it'll be like having a diesel without the noise (and its supposed to do 40mpg ish).
    I highly doubt it will be really economic. It's always a petrol 1.6 Turbo. I've had one and know how economic they are when you are really, really trying, but how wrong you average goes when you are simply driving relaxed.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I highly doubt it will be really economic. It's always a petrol 1.6 Turbo. I've had one and know how economic they are when you are really, really trying, but how wrong you average goes when you are simply driving relaxed.
    Wait until Fiat's 900cc turbo twin comes...
    Visca Catalunya!

I was expecting the Prius to win. So much for electric cars...........
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

Prius weighs in at around 2,900 pounds. Until advances in battery technology, hybrid will continue to carry around a couple of lumberjack's worth of batteries, negating a good part of the hybrid gains.

By comparison a Yaris is less evolved but a better economy car. Cheaper to buy and just a little more guzzlerly.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Yaris D-4D £10,000 (ish) 62mpg
    Prius £17-20,000 51mpg

Which is more guzzerly?
    PPC - Put a V8 in it!

Prius £17-20,000 51mpg

Which is more guzzerly?
    I don't know if it's against the law to get good mileage in the US, but the Yaris here only gets 34/39 (city/hwy) and the Prius does 60/51. Might be because the Yaris here has a 1.5l four with 106 hp, probably more than the Euro Yaris.

Prices are lower in the States as expected but the difference is similar; Yaris starts at $11k and change and the Prius at 23k.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I don't know if it's against the law to get good mileage in the US, but the Yaris here only gets 34/39 (city/hwy) and the Prius does 60/51. Might be because the Yaris here has a 1.5l four with 106 hp, probably more than the Euro Yaris.

Prices are lower in the States as expected but the difference is similar; Yaris starts at $11k and change and the Prius at 23k.
    the Yaris HootHoot is referring too is the D4D version, in other words the diesel which you for obvious reasons don't get in the USA...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Prius £17-20,000 51mpg

Which is more guzzerly?
    And the Toyota Aygo D-4D does 69mpg. The petrol one even manages 61mpg...

Altough I suppose they are not as practical as the Prius (neither is the Yaris though).
    Visca Catalunya!

I drive my dad's prius whenever I take it to southern virginia to visit friends at school, and it certainly decreases in fuel economy on purely highway driving. It gets very little to no pure electric action on the highway as opposed to city driving so the numbers suffer substantially as a result. If the traffic becomes bumper to bumper though, thats another story...

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    No doubt, I'd go diesel. I always rather liked the styling of the Opel Corsa; it has, as I recall, a 1,4l diesel. Second on my list would be anything VW.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Thread Information