Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autobahn speed limits

Autobahn speed limits

I read an article about the unlimited speed limit road, The Stuart, in northern Australia, and how it's been limited. It mentioned the Autobahn. Said that they aren't in fact unlimited, and that the limit is 250km/h...
    UNLESS
    You're driving a Porsche. They are unlimited.

...True?
    All about the t-tops

im not exactly sure on this but watching a Show on the Autobahn on the HIstory Channel, they did say that in some parts like the countryside where there arent many houses or ppl that the speed limit was unlimitied but when u get around town or sorta populated area there was a set speed limit
    No Me Gusta Tu Coche

wtf just happened
    No Me Gusta Tu Coche

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman002
    wtf just happened
    Erm, what?
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Its a changing speed limit. The speed limit on the autobahn could be over 150kmh during rush hour, it all depends on the traffic in front of and behind you. They have digital speed limit signs that tell you the current speed limit.
    PS. Not all of the Autobahn is limited though, I heard 40% isn't... or was it 40% was? I don't remember.
    If you are content to follow the trends of society, you will forever be a slave to it.
    If you forge your own path and start your own trends, society will follow you.

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    I read an article about the unlimited speed limit road, The Stuart, in northern Australia, and how it's been limited. It mentioned the Autobahn. Said that they aren't in fact unlimited, and that the limit is 250km/h...
    UNLESS

...True?
    My guess is that would be an oblique reference to the 'gentlemans agreement' which is recognised by most German manufacturers - with the exception of Porsche - that their cars be fitted with 250 km/h speed limiters

Wherever you see a Brabus S-Class racing a BMW M5, it's unlimited.

20% or so is subject to local and/or conditional limits, though.

All NT highways that were previously unlimited now have a 130kmh limit on them...and watch the road toll go up, as Daz27 can probably attest to.

And as for the 250kmh except for Porsches, as nota said, that refers to the german manufacturers agreement, which Porsche isn't a part of
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    UNLESS
    If you're driving a Maserati or an Aston Martin they are limited too...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    And as for the 250kmh except for Porsches, as nota said, that refers to the german manufacturers agreement, which Porsche isn't a part of
    Neither seem to be Opel and Audi (lately).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    If you're driving a Maserati or an Aston Martin they are limited too...
    They are not limited. German Autobahnen have in principle no speed limit. In practice many have a restriction to 130 kph, especially those with two lanes and lot of trucks.
    If you get involved in accident on any Autobahn and it can be proven that you
    were doing more than 130 kph you are (partly) liable even if it was not legally your fault.
    Porsche never adhered to the Gentlemen's agreement, and at the time it was concluded neither Opel nor Ford produced anything that could reach that speed.

In current practice a number of factory related and independent tuning companies are willing to remove the electronic speed limiter.

However, and speaking from experience, it is very difficult these days to really find a place where you could try if the removal of the limiter is effective
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    However, and speaking from experience, it is very difficult these days to really find a place where you could try if the removal of the limiter is effective
    cross the border near Roermond at night and depress your pedal swiftly

In current practice a number of factory related and independent tuning companies are willing to remove the electronic speed limiter.

These usually do require you to show your Racing license.
    Last edited by drakkie; 01-20-2007 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    cross the border near Roermond at night and depress your pedal swiftly
    and you will hit a deer...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    These usually do require you to show your Racing license.
    Is that their official policy?

They are not limited. German Autobahnen have in principle no speed limit. In practice many have a restriction to 130 kph, especially those with two lanes and lot of trucks.
    If you get involved in accident on any Autobahn and it can be proven that you
    were doing more than 130 kph you are (partly) liable even if it was not legally your fault.
    Porsche never adhered to the Gentlemen's agreement, and at the time it was concluded neither Opel nor Ford produced anything that could reach that speed.

I was refering to the Australian "autobahn", which apparently is limited to 250km/h, or so I understood.

Regarding the electronic speed limiter, Mercedes-Benz can increase the speed limit in the AMG cars if you pay for it, and I'm sure that if you gently ask them they could do it to the normal cars (and the same goes for Audi and BMW).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Is that their official policy?
    AFAIK it is for most of them. For the M-abteilung I'm 100% sure. I talked to a guy today that had his taken off.

Thread Information