Thread: Teverbaugh & Kirkland Bonneville Special '57

Teverbaugh & Kirkland Bonneville Special '57

[story By Richard Owen (supercars.net)] This unique sportscar was manufactured by John Teverbaugh and Robert Kirkland to go as fast as possible on the Bonneville Salt Flats. At the time, the outright record was 393.82 mph, but they had no intention of breaking that. Instead, this special was made to run in the D Modified class which John dominated with his 1955 record run of 156 mph in a Bangert roadster.

To trump this achievement, John purchased a second body from Bangert Enterprises and modified its fiberglass shape to be more aerodynamically suitable. Using the same techniques applied to his boating company, John added fender skirts, a cockpit cover, full under tray and a headrest with a signature dorsal fin. The result was a car which combined some of the best Corvette, Maserati and Jaguar design traits.

Chassis details were handled by Rob who used chome-moly tubing for rigidity and a 368 Mercury engine. Although rare to tune, Rob had these engines in stock, so he attached a 6-71 GMC blower, Hilborn mechanical injection and a custom fabricated manifold and headers. Power was delivered to the rear wheels through a quick-change rear end and braking was provided by disc brakes off an army surplus aircraft.

Another unique detail was the addition of an emergency parachute - the first ever used at Bonneville. The initial idea was to deploy the chute and straighten the car out if it might stray from the track.

In its initial configuration, this special looked promising and most magazines reported that it seemed like a 200 mph machine. It won an award at the Grand National Roadster Show before going to Bonneville for its intended trail.

Unfortunately, 200 mph never happened, as the Mercury engines kept blowing up past 5500 rpm. This limited a theoretical top speed of 175 mph and the best attempts in 1957 and 1958 offered 163.93 mph when the engine blew half a mile from finish and it coasted through the speed traps. When money and engines ran out, John Teverbaugh sold the car.

After trading hands several times and deteriorating throughout the years - even being sold as a Devlin SS - the car made its way to Des Moines and underwent 13 year restoration thanks to Steve Prewitt. During the build, he got permission from Teverbaugh to 'modernize' the car and fit a Chevrolet engine, no doubt as a protest to the Lincoln-Mercury unit that let the car down fifty years earlier. By 2005, the restoration was complete.

In the end the car was reunited with Teverbaugh after being 46 years away from it. He noticed during the first drive details such as the Carrera 3 position coilovers and rack and pinion steering which made the car much more responsive. Other new details included a more triangulated chassis, a collapsible steering wheel, Super T-10 4-speed transmission, large aluminum radiator, roll bar, fuel cell and Coleman drilled brake rotors.

Currently the Teverbaugh & Kirkland special is available for purchase by the CarCollectorTrust.
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-25-2007 at 03:03 PM.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Story by Supercars.net

Quote Originally Posted by Dickrich
    Story by Supercars.net
    By Richard Owen with assistance from Taylor Valentine, to be precise. Though I don't know of what importance might this bit of information be to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by go.pawel
    By Richard Owen with assistance from Taylor Valentine, to be precise. Though I don't know of what importance might this bit of information be to anyone.
    Dickrich is Richard Owen
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's pretty important to the person who wrote it, because otherwise it's just blatant plagiarism.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Dickrich is Richard Owen
    No surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    It's pretty important to the person who wrote it, because otherwise it's just blatant plagiarism.
    Then there are hundreds of posts I've seen here which should be considered as blatant plagiarism. The internet actually isn't a place where people pay great attention to all those credits, copyrights and other stuff. Too much bothering if you ask me.
    When I contribute my texts or photos I don't expect people to mention every time that they are my work. Therefore I also use this approach as default in general. If someone wants to be credited - here you go, I've just done it above.

No surprise.

Then there are hundreds of posts I've seen here which should be considered as blatant plagiarism. The internet actually isn't a place where people pay great attention to all those credits, copyrights and other stuff. Too much bothering if you ask me.
    When I contribute my texts or photos I don't expect people to mention every time that they are my work. Therefore I also use this approach as default in general. If someone wants to be credited - here you go, I've just done it above.
    Richard likes to nag from time to time.....we do the same on his site, also from time to time..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Richard likes to nag from time to time.....we do the same on his site, also from time to time..
    Ok, I've included info about Richard as the author in my 1st post. Could a mod please delete now all the posts not related to the car?
    Last edited by go.pawel; 01-25-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Knowing who wrote a story and where it was published is incredibly important. Just consider some of your favorite authors.

Thread Information