Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lost treasures...

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    Some of these cars are worthless (ie- Datsun Z, Austin-Healey Sprite Mk.II),
    As McReis said, why?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Wow! - Nice work, McReis, identifying all those cars. I get the feeling that if you were blindfolded, you could still identify cars by smelling the exhaust fumes.

My first thought on seeing all the dust and bird poop was that some people have more barns than brains, - for the price of one of the cheaper cars, the owner could have bought enough car covers to protect all of them... But then I remembered the thoughts of a good friend who doesn't cover his collection of older exotics either. He'd rather have to clean the dust off every so often than cover them up,- "because what's the point of having all these lovely cars if you can't see them?"

Kinda hard to see them with the barn doors welded shut though... I hope he left enough rat poison to save some of the interiors from getting eaten.
    Last edited by Motorace; 01-28-2007 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorace
    Wow! - Nice work, McReis, identifying all those cars. I get the feeling that if you were blindfolded, you could still identify cars by smelling the exhaust fumes.
    That's the definition of a petrolhead. Anyway I couldn't have done it without some help from our number 1 classic expert Henk4.

My first thought on seeing all the dust and bird poop was that some people have more barns than brains,.
    As I've said before, I'm sure there was some big and unpleasant reason for those cars to be "put to sleep" for 15 years. Probably issues with creditors or taxes.

But then I remembered the thoughts of a good friend who doesn't cover his collection of older exotics either. He'd rather have to clean the dust off every so often than cover them up,- "because what's the point of having all these lovely cars if you can't see them?"
    Well, in some pictures a big ventlation system can be seen. Which leads me to think he's not stupid. Anyway, the way some cars were stored seem to be a result of some rush.

Kinda hard to see them with the barn doors welded shut though... I hope he left enough rat poison to save some of the interiors from getting eaten.
    The condition of most of them is indeed surprising.

You are doing only a post per month, which is sad. We need more classic car fans to chat.
    Did you just want to be funny while doing your profile or do you actually own a rare Intermeccanica Italia?
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Maybe still too soon to have reopened the treasure trove. After another 15 years most of these beauties will be worth restoring.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

You take back what you said about the Datsun Z, you sumbich.

I love those things.

Anyway, there are a thousand different reasons why a car dealer or collector would want to make a collection "disappear," all of which make pretty good stories. I'm curious.
    Last edited by LandQuail; 01-25-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    I'm erudite ;-)

Man I know that they are in pretty OK shape but they still need some work. I mean some look like they got a bit of rust and who knows what 15 years worth of bird poop and dust can do to a paint job? The dry rot has probably taken its toll on the tires and most of the seals, I imagine it will still be pretty expensive to get those things out of there and running again.

I'm sure if you owned one, you wouldn't be saying such a thing. Jerk.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

No, collector-wise they are worthless than the MK1 Sprite or original Z. This is the ugly Z with the open headlights.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

found this night in "Jalopnik", related: http://jalopnik.com/cars/retro/open-...ion-231918.php
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

No, collector-wise they are worthless than the MK1 Sprite or original Z. This is the ugly Z with the open headlights.
    $5,000 isn't worthless imo.

Yeah, well I hate the 280Z. It spoiled the classic lines of the original 240Z with those open headlights, and those go for $20-30K restored.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

This is the ugly Z with the open headlights.
    Yeah, well I hate the 280Z. It spoiled the classic lines of the original 240Z with those open headlights

The original 240Z has open headlights. The plexiglass covered headlights are what spoiled the Z's in my opinion. in fact, from the early 260z (same looks as the 240) every Z is a bit on the ugly side.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Yeah, well I hate the 280Z. It spoiled the classic lines of the original 240Z with those open headlights, and those go for $20-30K restored.
    I'm talking about the austin healey, I've had several.

You really do need to read this thread and look at the sad pictures.
    How on earth can people abandon cars like 300SLs, Muiras & Bugattis.

Super Car Forums :: View topic - Abandoned exotics. What have you discovered?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-Smith View Post
    You really do need to read this thread and look at the sad pictures.
    How on earth can people abandon cars like 300SLs, Muiras & Bugattis.
    Well...sometimes it gets too expensive, the owner doesn't have enough time, the car's waay to rusty and or damaged to be fixed -there's a million reasons.

Thread Information