Thread: Need help with emission control project

Need help with emission control project

I have just started a emission control project that I need help with (it's a persusive speech, technically just to persuade people to drive eco-friendly cars. Any suggestions or.....?

thanks a lot

Dont forget to mind one important thing. Oil. It plays a much bigger role as you might think initially. I can tell you a thing or two about it,if you like. PM or e-mail me.

Dont focus too much on hybrids and hydrogen stuff. They might sound cool,but the truth is bio-fuel and diesel have the (near)future. I think taking that route,might lead to a more engaged talk.

In the speech,show energy,dont talk too slow. Maintain a voice that DOESNT become monotonous. If you make a proper powerpoint slide with a good lay-out (using points and indexes and stuff) helps to maintain a fluent presentation. You can also look at them,for a bit of help during the speak.

DONT ask if there are any questions,because it makes the impression you didnt tell enough.

Good luck.

Do your own research.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    They might sound cool,but the truth is bio-fuel and diesel have the (near)future.
    Not to get off topic but biofuels can only ever be a stop-gap intermediate step. The damage to the ecosystem by converting wildlands or farm lands to biofuel crops is become and will be very severe.

Another point is that hydrogen cars are not hydrogen cars. They are electric cars! The fuel cell is simply another form of a battery, its just a way to store and transport energy. IMO the biggest steps forward towards a clean car will have to happen in fields not related to the car itself. Efficient batteries and solar/wind/clean power generation are going to be the biggest hurdles.

The only advantage I see that hydrogen has is that you can 'recharge' the tank in minutes rather than hours, hopefully battery technology will be able to match this in the coming years. The downside of H is the energy required to make the hydrogen. This is why plug-in hybrids do more than just 'sound-cool' . They allow you to plug in the car over night but if you run out of charge you won't be SOL. It would be interesting to see a comparison of a hydrogen powered car and a 'hybrid' like the Volt (where the engine just provides power not movement) that takes in all factors (energy for producing the gas, for producing the hydrogen, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie

DONT ask if there are any questions,because it makes the impression you didnt tell enough.
    It also makes you look like you want to avoid controversy, you dislike the assignment, and you really don't know shit about what your talking about since your not confident to think on your feet. People will ask questions its almost guaranteed. If not the professor/teacher will.

But you are the most knowledgeable member of the forum drakkie, so what do I konw? Oh thats right I just pulled a 4.0 in public speaking and communications.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

You can have a look at Jeremy Rifkin's Book "The Hydrogen Economy" concerning the impact that the energy source used has on the human societies.

Some main points of the book: Oil was primarily used because it's a cheap and affordable way to acquire energy. Hydrogen is a more sophisticated energy source. It's implementation requires lots of research and development.

Oil is like a cheap old Lada: a man that doesn't have much money will buy one to get things done, until he gets back on his feet. But, once he gets on his feet financially, he will not try to improve the Lada (ricer attitude ), he will get a more sophisticated car.

In the same way, now that mankind has progressed, the society needs something more sophisticated to satisfy its new needs (no pollution etc.)
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

You might also want to check this link out

http://environment.newscientist.com/...-for-cars.html

Minimising losses can maximise net gains

sorry, BIG BORE LOTS OF CYLINDERS LOTS OF POWER!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    It also makes you look like you want to avoid controversy, you dislike the assignment, and you really don't know shit about what your talking about since your not confident to think on your feet. People will ask questions its almost guaranteed. If not the professor/teacher will.

But you are the most knowledgeable member of the forum drakkie, so what do I konw? Oh thats right I just pulled a 4.0 in public speaking and communications.
    It's just the method i always use succesfully. I was learned this long ago and teachers emphasized on it to do. I dont know better. The Dutch way,I guess.

Thread Information